Looking to land Tulo & CarGo in my keeper league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Looking to land Tulo & CarGo in my keeper league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Looking to land Tulo & CarGo in my keeper league

Postby Beeblebrox » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:20 pm

I cruised to the title last year, and I've got to unload some players via trade before the draft, or lose a bunch of talent for nothing.

5x5, 12 teams, 10 keepers
LF/CF/RF instead of OF spots, 2 UTILs

I won't list my whole roster, only the players I plan to keep or might be worth anything in trade.

1B - Pujols
2B - Pedrioa
3B - Zimmerman

SS - Andrus
LF - Morse
CF - Kemp
RF - J. Upton

UTIL - Ellsbury
UTIL - Bruce
Bench - Zobrist, Aramis

SP - Kershaw, Hamels, Haren, Cain, Romero, Oswalt, Wainwright, Chapman

The 7 bolded guys are pretty much locks, leaving only 3 more spots for everyone else.

I've got a lot of parts to throw into a package for some elite level players, but there's really not many places where I don't already have elite players, so.....

If I offered Ellsbury, Andrus, Zobrist, Aramis, and Cain for Tulo and CarGo, would that get the job done?
Beeblebrox
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Looking to land Tulo & CarGo in my keeper league

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:26 pm

You're throwing a lot of talent at him, but unless he's severely lacking keeper level players I doubt it gets it done. It's worth a shot, but usually in keeper trades it's tough to pull off dealing quantity for quality.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 810)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:05 am

The value of this offer is entirely dependant on your trade partner's needs. How many of those guys become slam dunk keeper upgrades over his presumed intended keepers?? That is the beginning and end of any off-season deal with keeper limitations.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 814)

Postby fast dogs » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:20 am

It is often very hard to get a teams best player, even if you are giving at least as much back in total. Trying for his 2 best players is most likely to turn him off, tho like the other guys said if his bottom keepers aren't anywhere close he might be interested.If you were asking me for Tulo and Cargo I'd be looking for more than your 2nd tier keepers & I think trying for both at once is likely to get flat turned down
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 340)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:54 am

Heres a good exercise i like to use in instances like this. Look at who you assume hed keep now pre-trade and then project his keepers post-trade and see if you think HE would think he's better off with your guys than who he's got. Then, try and sell it. Otherwise, you're just upping quantity and quality even and getting frustrated because no matter how slanted it looks to you, you're barking up a wrong tree.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 814)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:07 am

bigh0rt wrote:Heres a good exercise i like to use in instances like this. Look at who you assume hed keep now pre-trade and then project his keepers post-trade and see if you think HE would think he's better off with your guys than who he's got. Then, try and sell it. Otherwise, you're just upping quantity and quality even and getting frustrated because no matter how slanted it looks to you, you're barking up a wrong tree.

This is huge. Too often, people will only look at a trade through the lens of their own team. If you want to make trades happen, you've got to look at it from the other side.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 99)

Postby Beeblebrox » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:32 am

bigh0rt wrote:Heres a good exercise i like to use in instances like this. Look at who you assume hed keep now pre-trade and then project his keepers post-trade and see if you think HE would think he's better off with your guys than who he's got. Then, try and sell it. Otherwise, you're just upping quantity and quality even and getting frustrated because no matter how slanted it looks to you, you're barking up a wrong tree.

Fair point.

I think these would be his 10 keepers pre-trade. (with the rest of his team in case I'm misjudging things)

Heath Bell
Carlos Beltran
Carlos Gonzalez
Daniel Hudson
Paul Konerko
Cliff Lee
David Price
Carlos Santana
Troy Tulowitzki
Dan Uggla

Robert Andino
Alcides Escobar
Doug Fister
Javy Guerra
Vladimir Guerrero
Joel Hanrahan
Matt Harrison
Aaron Hill
Brett Myers
Joe Nathan
Salvador Perez
Alex Rios
Johan Santana
Josh Willingham
Beeblebrox
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fast dogs » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:17 am

his team would be considerably weaker w/o the top 2 stars
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 340)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:12 am

I would offer him these following trades-

His Tulo for your Andrus, Ellsbury, and Haren/Cain.

In this scenario, he would most likely drop Bell (who shouldn't be a keeper as he is a closer and the move to MIA makes his value go down, which you should try to push) and Hudson. Hudson has youth, but adding Haren or Cain would give him 3 top SP, which looks very tantalizing. This would give him a decent SS, great 2nd tier pitcher, and a stud in Ellsbury, which would shore up his OF (Carlos in LF, Ellsbury in CF, Beltran in RF).

Or replace Haren/Cain with Bruce. This way, he is getting three young rising players (Ellsbury, Bruce, Andrus), while dropping Bell (who shouldn't be kept) and getting rid of older Beltran. Plus he gets to keep Hudson. And with his keepers, you could try to sell him that he has good rebuilding pieces if things don't work out.

In both deals, he gets fair talent for Tulo + the dropped guys IMO.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Beeblebrox » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:02 pm

If I'm going to only try for one guy, I think it has to be CarGo, because LF is the bigger hole on my team.

I was able to play Ellsbury in LF last year, but not anymore (among the reasons I'm looking to trade him), and who knows if Morse will get enough games to qualify for 2013 (presuming I even keep him for this year).

Andrus is certainly better-than-average at SS and a great source of SB's, which I'll need.
Beeblebrox
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions