Implementing a Farm System - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Implementing a Farm System

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Implementing a Farm System

Postby bigmck » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:54 am

ohgeezjoe wrote:Hi, guys

Planned on keeping track of the farm systems in a separate spreadsheet is pretty simple for us, but I was wondering how other league prevent these players from being picked up by teams that aren't paying attention in Yahoo. Is there an ability to lock a list of players from transactions? Or do we just have to be vigilant about making sure there are no accidental pickups?

Thanks for your thoughts

The only way to keep track of that is for everyone to be a watchdog. If someone picks up a player that is taken, someone will just have to post a message on your board that an illegal move was made.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:51 am

bigmck wrote:
ohgeezjoe wrote:Hi, guys

Planned on keeping track of the farm systems in a separate spreadsheet is pretty simple for us, but I was wondering how other league prevent these players from being picked up by teams that aren't paying attention in Yahoo. Is there an ability to lock a list of players from transactions? Or do we just have to be vigilant about making sure there are no accidental pickups?

Thanks for your thoughts

The only way to keep track of that is for everyone to be a watchdog. If someone picks up a player that is taken, someone will just have to post a message on your board that an illegal move was made.
Having it be on a Google Doc is one way to give everybody access to it. If an 'illegal' pick-up is made, it's on the owners of the league to police it, and the Commissioner to fix it. Maybe even create some sort of penalty to encourage owners to do their own police work.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby fab401 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:39 pm

In my league we have a 16 team, 15 player farm team. We keep all of our rules, farm teams, etc. on a proboard forum. In the case that there is an illegal add made, I as the LM adjust any scoring he might have had and hand out either a warning to the offending party or if this is a repeat offender, assess a penalty. Wee give an owner 2 mia culpas then on the 3rd offense dock his waiver position and on further offenses dock their lowest draft selection in the next season's draft. To date, and this system has been in place for 3 years now, I have never once docked even a waiver position. This system seems to work well for us.
fab401
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby gfriley » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:21 pm

????
gfriley
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 58)

Postby ChefBoyRG54 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:41 pm

Goatrider wrote:
- A farm player who is called up during the season by his MLB team cannot be reassigned to the FARM during that season.
·If a team acquires a 4th farm player in a trade that team would need to release a farm player to remain legal or include a farm player in the same trade where they acquired their 4th farm player. You may never exceed 3 farm players.

So do you guys add/drop anybody from the MiL roster during the season?
What if you call somebody up permanently? How do you replace them on FARM roster? Next year draft only?
What if you just want to drop somebody because they fizzled out and replace them?

Goatrider wrote:- Following the MiL Draft, the Reserve Draft shall take place as usual. Any prospects not taken in the MiL Draft are eligible for the reserve draft with none of the aforementioned benefits above. For auction time constraints and amount of players taken via auction and Farm Draft, the reserve Draft is reduced to three rounds with the remaining reserve spots being filled from the waiver wire.

Im not following the reserve draft idea. Is this just for bench players after the Auction and FARM?

Alot of good info. I forwarded some of this on to my league members as some brainstorming info. Thanks
Pete Rose for President

ChefBoyRG54
ChefBoyRG54
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby dominodoug » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:36 pm

I will provide my insight. I hope it helps you figure out a system!

I am in a 16 team, 10 keeper league that adheres to MLB's 130AB/50IP rules. We use a Google Doc to keep track of the players so that all owners have access. We allow the drafting of Japanese players but not high school players. Anyone not drafted is eligible to be picked up at any time. I am co-commissioner and help manage the list and monitor waiver wire pickups. If a player is illegally picked up we subtract points/stats. We also allow trading of minor leaguers.

We haven't gone over any first year draft rules but after reading this forum I will bring it up to prevent any confusion. This February we will be drafting on the 2012 class. Correa, Zunino, Buxton, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
dominodoug
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby bigmck » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:45 am

Our league had one minor leaguer for a couple of years but did away with it. There was one thing that we could never figure out. == We were allowed to keep 11 MLB players each year. If an owner had his Minor Leaguer in training camp and was a lock to make the Major League Roster, the Owner would not make him a MLB Keeper, but would instead keep the player on his Minor League Roster until one week after the season started then drop a bum player and advance the Minor Leaguer to the Major League Roster. This in effect would give the Owner 12 Keepers. Because of that and other reasons we did away with the Minor League Roster.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 23 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:13 pm

Regarding, the situation bigmck brought up, we safeguarded against that with what a provision that says if you're going to take advantage of that mini loophole (i.e. protecting a stud as a farm player, thereby allowing you to also protect an additional big leaguer), then - even if your stud prospect is in the majors to begin the season - you're not allowed to call him up to your active roster until June.

We implemented a farm system a couple years ago and it's gone over well. I've found that it helps in terms of talent distribution, competitive balance and facilitating trades.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby dominodoug » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:29 pm

Our farm situation treats all players under 130ab/50ip as minor leaguers. I traded for players knowing they are still under the limits and therefore will benefit me in the upcoming season, just as real teams do. I just picked up Wily Peralta and Julio Teheran.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
dominodoug
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby bigmck » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:06 pm

23 wrote:Regarding, the situation bigmck brought up, we safeguarded against that with what a provision that says if you're going to take advantage of that mini loophole (i.e. protecting a stud as a farm player, thereby allowing you to also protect an additional big leaguer), then - even if your stud prospect is in the majors to begin the season - you're not allowed to call him up to your active roster until June.

We implemented a farm system a couple years ago and it's gone over well. I've found that it helps in terms of talent distribution, competitive balance and facilitating trades.

You idea on the Keeper problem I brought up is a great solution. Thanks,
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner