Dynasty Help Needed WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Dynasty Help Needed WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dynasty Help Needed WHIR

Postby Urban Cohorts » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:58 am

I am in a 5x5 (OBP instead of AVG) - H2H - 14 Team Yahoo Dynasty League - Auction League with $350 hard cap.
We use 25 man rosters with standard hitting positions and pitching being SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P. The lineups are set WEEKLY.

I need to make some very important moves, but before going into detail, let me post my roster for 2012 (for players under control)-

Dollar values are posted x/y/z, where x is 2012 cost, y is 2013 cost, and z is 2014 cost. Cutting guys with long term deals makes me suffer penalties (usually a % the players salary per year, max being 50%). I do need to cut/trade some of them, so which of these players would you look to trade or cut?

***Note I currently have $139 remaining in cap room. So a little less than 33%.

C- Posey $7
1B- OPEN
2B- J Weeks $3
SS- J Reyes $26
3B- Wright $53
OF- C Rasmus $24 / $26
OF- C Quentin $5
OF- OPEN
DH- P Alvarez $10 / $12 / $14 (3B)

SP- Wainwright $12 / $14
SP- Strasburg $16
SP- Oswalt $15
RP- OPEN
RP- OPEN
P- Dempster $12
P- Vogelsong $3

B- Casper Wells $3 OF
B- Dayan Viciedo $3 / $5 OF
B- Charlie Blackmon $3 / $5 OF
B- E Jackson $5 SP
B- M Leake $3 SP
B- K Lohse $3 SP
B- Jerome Williams $3 SP
B- OPEN
B- OPEN

I am thinking of moving Vogelsong (who is great at this price) plus an overpaid player (Rasmus or Depmster) for some cap room. Any other ideas of who you would move or try to trade? I wouldn't mind getting rid of Alvarez...

I also have the option to renew the following players for up to 5 years. I'll post their 2012 salary if resigned, and after that the salary increases by $12 every extra year. My thoughts are next to them-

C- Brian McCann $45 - Too high to renew at $45, especially with Posey on my roster.
1B- Gaby Sanchez $15 - Seems like a good bargain, but would you go 2 years for $15 and $27 in 2013?
1B- Adam Lind $17 - Likely to be cut at this cost, no?
2B- Rickie Weeks $17 - Seems like a good 1 year deal as $29 in 2013 may be too high, right?
2B/3B- Ryan Roberts $13 - Good 1 year signing to backup both 2B/3B.
OF- Jeff Franceour $13 - Price looks good and I do need an OF. A one year deal is best, no?
OF- Werth $28 - Must cut at this cost, right?
SP- Randy Wolf $13 - WAY too much for the Wolf.
SP- Ian Kennedy $22 - The price is good IMO, but do I go the extra year at $34 in 2013?
RP- Carlos Marmol $35 - This price seems too high for a closer. Probably will cut him.

Thoughts on renewing these guys?

I can only keep 25 players. If I don't get less than that, I cannot draft anyone at auction.

All help is tremendously appreciated!
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dynasty Help Needed WHIR

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:07 am

Some things that jump out at me going over your roster:

Great price on Reyes. That should work out very well even if he only plays 130 games or so.

C Rasmus $24 / $26: That seems steep. I wouldn't cut him, but I might try to trade him. The upside is definitely there, but at that price, you're paying for it.

DH- P Alvarez $10 / $12 / $14 (3B) - nice price for a nice bouceback candidate, although he's more of a lottery ticket for me. At that price he should be a decent trade chip, though, which is what I'd do since he loses a lot of value by sticking him at UTL.

SP- Wainwright $12 / $14 - niiiiiiiiice.

Casper Wells $3 OF - cut. Get him back for $1 if you like him that much, but he's not even guaranteed a starting spot and hits at Safeco. Maybe in a 14 team AL only.

P- Dempster $12 - too rich for my blood. Bad experiences with the guy sours me on him. Move him if you can.

C- Brian McCann $45 - Too high to renew at $45, especially with Posey on my roster.
Agreed.
1B- Gaby Sanchez $15 - Seems like a good bargain, but would you go 2 years for $15 and $27 in 2013?
He's solid, and he gets a nice bump in OBP leagues like yours. Tough call, but I'd pass on 2013. $12 increase per year is damn steep. Makes those $1 guys who blow up REALLY valuable. At $15 he's a bargain, at $27 he might barely be a push if he has a good year.
1B- Adam Lind $17 - Likely to be cut at this cost, no?
Cut.
2B- Rickie Weeks $17 - Seems like a good 1 year deal as $29 in 2013 may be too high, right?
Weekly lineup changes instead of daily make Weeks even more of a headache. He's too good not to keep for $17, though.
2B/3B- Ryan Roberts $13 - Good 1 year signing to backup both 2B/3B.
Yep, especially if you're keeping Weeks.
OF- Jeff Franceour $13 - Price looks good and I do need an OF. A one year deal is best, no?
Hard to believe he's only 27. Seems like he's been around forever. He takes a hit in an OBP league (lifetime .313 OBP), though, and he's not exactly the most exciting guy. Decent price for a 3rd OF but only keep if you think you can't do better at the auction.
OF- Werth $28 - Must cut at this cost, right?
Have to agree with you here.
SP- Randy Wolf $13 - WAY too much for the Wolf.
Yep, another cut.
SP- Ian Kennedy $22 - The price is good IMO, but do I go the extra year at $34 in 2013?
No on the extra year.
RP- Carlos Marmol $35 - This price seems too high for a closer. Probably will cut him.
I'd agree with that.

One thing is that you're working with $350 instead of the standard $260, which is going to inflate everything. I tried to take that into consideration, but the "normal" auction values might still be causing some interference. Only you know the ins and outs of your league, and it sounds like you've got a good handle on it. I'd be happy to look at any specific situation but I feel like I'm mostly just agreeing with your general assessment.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby Brainstorm » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:20 am

Weeks, Roberts, Sanchez, and Kennedy seems like nice 1-year options for you, but I wouldn't extend any of them further.

And I agree with the above poster, I'd try to get out from under Rasmus and Alvarez as quickly as possible.
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 249)

Postby MaudDib » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:07 pm

C- Posey $7
1B- OPEN
2B- J Weeks $3
SS- J Reyes $26
3B- Wright $53 :-t
OF- C Rasmus $24 / $26 :-t
OF- C Quentin $5
OF- OPEN
DH- P Alvarez $10 / $12 / $14 (3B)

SP- Wainwright $12 / $14
SP- Strasburg $16
SP- Oswalt $15
RP- OPEN
RP- OPEN
P- Dempster $12
P- Vogelsong $3

B- Casper Wells $3 OF :-t
B- Dayan Viciedo $3 / $5 OF
B- Charlie Blackmon $3 / $5 OF :-t
B- E Jackson $5 SP
B- M Leake $3 SP
B- K Lohse $3 SP
B- Jerome Williams $3 SP :-t
B- OPEN
B- OPEN

C- Brian McCann $45 - Too high to renew at $45, especially with Posey on my roster. :-t way too high
1B- Gaby Sanchez $15 - Seems like a good bargain, but would you go 2 years for $15 and $27 in 2013? :-t Hasn't shown me enough to want him for that kind of money.
1B- Adam Lind $17 - Likely to be cut at this cost, no? :-t cut
2B- Rickie Weeks $17 - Seems like a good 1 year deal as $29 in 2013 may be too high, right? ;-D For a one year deal. Anything more and I think you lose
2B/3B- Ryan Roberts $13 - Good 1 year signing to backup both 2B/3B. :-t Seems kind of high for a backup. I could be wrong but I am just not sold on him yet. Would rather keep the money and get someone with similar value at a similar price at auction.
OF- Jeff Franceour $13 - Price looks good and I do need an OF. A one year deal is best, no? ;-D I would be fine with a one year deal here
OF- Werth $28 - Must cut at this cost, right? :-t cut
SP- Randy Wolf $13 - WAY too much for the Wolf. :-t cut
SP- Ian Kennedy $22 - The price is good IMO, but do I go the extra year at $34 in 2013? ;-D Only one year. The guy has little history and I wouldn't want that salary on a guy that could be worth only a 1/3 of that in two years.
RP- Carlos Marmol $35 - This price seems too high for a closer. Probably will cut him. :-t cut

I liked your thought about trading Vogelsong and Rasmus. Rasmus is over priced and Vogelsong is over-rated. Not sure what players usually go for in your league but Wright seems over-priced as well. If you can find someone that still believes in Alvarez then I would move him as well. Other than that, i think your team looks pretty solid.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:49 pm

Thanks for the responses guys.

As far as who I can get in the draft is still a question mark at this point. We all have to give out contract extensions before we fully know who and who won't be available.

We also have 2 expansion teams being added this year, with no roster and $350 to spend on 25 guys. I'm assuming this is going to make it very tough to land guys at bargain prices. These 2 teams have a lot of money to throw around and could basically sign anyone they want.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Orko31 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:51 am

Urban Cohorts wrote:Thanks for the responses guys.

As far as who I can get in the draft is still a question mark at this point. We all have to give out contract extensions before we fully know who and who won't be available.

We also have 2 expansion teams being added this year, with no roster and $350 to spend on 25 guys. I'm assuming this is going to make it very tough to land guys at bargain prices. These 2 teams have a lot of money to throw around and could basically sign anyone they want.

If you have 2 expansion teams, try to see if either will take on Wright's salary for draft picks. Wright at 53 is crazy high imo. And I love the idea of packaging Vogelsong w/ Rasmus. I'd also try to deal Frenchie. Not sold on him at all. I'm not even sure it's worth keeping E Jackson, Leake and/or Lohse. I agree highly w/ MaudDib's assessment.

Please help w/ mine! Thanks! http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=437739
Orko31
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions