22%
have both the AL and NL use the DH
43%
remove the DH all together and have pitchers bat in both the AL and NL
35%

Total votes : 37

Re: Re: DH

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:19 pm

bigh0rt wrote:This is without even considering the likelihood of the increase between 'haves' and 'have nots' or 'big market' vs. 'small market' as teams with a DH are forced to pay an additional player a 'full-time starter' salary, as they start 10 players per game instead of 9. This is one of the underlying reasons of the huge disparity in the American League between teams who spend and teams who don't.

Right now, this is the biggest sticking point with me. The last thing baseball needs is decreased interest in small-market teams. If the DH is instituted, it needs to be alongside a salary cap and increased revenue sharing.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:00 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:This is without even considering the likelihood of the increase between 'haves' and 'have nots' or 'big market' vs. 'small market' as teams with a DH are forced to pay an additional player a 'full-time starter' salary, as they start 10 players per game instead of 9. This is one of the underlying reasons of the huge disparity in the American League between teams who spend and teams who don't.

Right now, this is the biggest sticking point with me. The last thing baseball needs is decreased interest in small-market teams. If the DH is instituted, it needs to be alongside a salary cap and increased revenue sharing.

This is actually a reason to require the DH. National League teams having less starting players, are able to offer more money to the other players on their roster.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Re: DH

Postby A man in a box » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:57 am

bigh0rt wrote: I'm reading that last season the average game was 3 hrs, 21 minutes, which is actually 25 minutes less than in 2007. If we can cut it another 25 minutes you'll have more people willing to commit to watching more regularly, IMO. Put a clock on the pitcher. Basketball has an inbound clock, a clock to get over half court, a shot clock. Football has a play clock. Each has associated penalties for violation. Put a clock on the pitcher with rules in place to keep the game going. I'm tired of watching guys throw to first six times with no intention of actually picking off or even holding a runner. When Steve Trachsel was a Met you could use a sun dial to time him between pitches, it was brutal.

13-14 pitchers on a roster is asinine. There are way too many relievers in the major leagues. Of course with out deep bullpens that means less commercials and we can't cut that out. If you can't get a hitter out from both sides of the plate it is best that you find more suitable employment opportunities. Mandate 14 Batters and 11 Pitchers per team, give management no flexibility with this. Less pitchers are better. With a season as long as baseball it should be a top priority to make games between 2:45 -3:00.
A man in a box
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Cream » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:30 am

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:The last information I read about MLB game times has them just under 3 hours and shorter than an NFL game. MLB games also have a higher percentage of time where the ball is actually in play compared to the NFL.

People tolerate it in the NFL because it's 16 times per season, not 162. There's a far greater weight on any individual NFL game than there is on, say, Game 78 of the MLB season. It's 'worth' tolerating the dead time in football more so than baseball, and that's without considering the physical strain and rigor of one compared to the other.

I'm reading that last season the average game was 3 hrs, 21 minutes, which is actually 25 minutes less than in 2007. If we can cut it another 25 minutes you'll have more people willing to commit to watching more regularly, IMO. Put a clock on the pitcher. Basketball has an inbound clock, a clock to get over half court, a shot clock. Football has a play clock. Each has associated penalties for violation. Put a clock on the pitcher with rules in place to keep the game going. I'm tired of watching guys throw to first six times with no intention of actually picking off or even holding a runner. When Steve Trachsel was a Met you could use a sun dial to time him between pitches, it was brutal.

There is a clock on the pitcher.
Rule 8.04
When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within
12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating
this rule, the umpire shall call “Ball.”
The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the
batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball.

Careful, Josh Becket is going to get very upset with you demanding this...
Cream
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 24)

Postby MaudDib » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:04 pm

You have to know the DH will never go away. AL teams are built around the DH and to suddenly have that taken away would F up the whole way their team is constructed. So there is no chance that they will vote to change the rules that would suddenly have them paying a ton of money to a guy that can't field, which means they will rarely hit.

I wonder how much the DH effects free agents. Do hitters who are looking for long-term deals think about the DH? Pujols for instance signed with an AL team (the only AL team that showed any interest) and did he consider the DH in his decision? I know most people will say something about how it doesn't matter because you pay a guy enough and he will play either way but I don't think it is 100% about the money and if you have two similar offers from two different teams but one has a DH, which one do you choose? On the flip side, does this effect SP decision? Knowing that the NL is better on their numbers or would they rather pitch in the AL so they don't have to worry about hitting? I could see this being different pitcher to pitcher where as with hitters I could see it being more widespread.

One thing I don't like in the NL is when a SP is pitching very well into the seventh inning but his team hasn't scored any runs. Then his turn comes up to bat but the guy in front of him hit a double so the pitcher gets pulled. Now the pitcher is done for the game because his team can't hit. Where in the AL, that pitcher gets to continue to pitch until he is done. Which brings up a question, do AL or NL pitchers last longer into games? Probably will end up being NL pitchers but I really hate when I see my pitcher get pulled early just for some stupid pinch hitter.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:42 pm

bigh0rt wrote:A rule isn't a ruless unless its enforced.

Papelbon's been hit with the rule a couple of times.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:56 am

thedude wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:

This is actually a reason to require the DH. National League teams having less starting players, are able to offer more money to the other players on their roster.

Right, and if they require a DH, they would have less money to offer the other players on their roster. The Pads and Rockies will hate it while the Phillies would get even stronger because they have the money to take on another star hitter.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:33 pm

The phillies don't have money for another big bat, and the padres already have 4 DHs.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers