22%
have both the AL and NL use the DH
43%
remove the DH all together and have pitchers bat in both the AL and NL
35%

Total votes : 37

Re: DH

Postby tondo5487 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:44 pm

I think that the pitchers should hit in both leagues all the time. Get rid some of the excessive beaning that happens in the AL. NL pitchers know if they bean someone they will get it right back. Ah... the good old days.
Tondo
* A diehard Orioles fan who knows his team will fining dead last again
tondo5487
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A man in a box » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:49 pm

The DH has become an institution in baseball now. They use it at every professional level except the National League. Baseball should be played one way or another. If you want to play it differently then get rid of the anti-trust suit and just have each league be completely separate with their own world series. Not likely to say the least.

They should just blow things up entirely at this point. DH in both leagues. Have an Eastern League and a Western League with a small amount of inter league at the beginning of the season to have a 162 games. Best record gets home field in world series Top 4 slots get in the playoffs, all 7 game series, every home game goes to the highest seed and be done with it.
A man in a box
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Cream » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:29 am

I'd like to see the DH in both leagues, although watching Bartolo Colon when he was with the sox try to hit in Philly in 2007(ish) was absolutely priceless. There wasn't a single fan not laughing,
Cream
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 29)

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:47 am

you're likely always going to have your true die hard baseball fans that will watch whether there is the DH or there is no DH. what will bring in more fans? I think more fans will come in if you have more scoring, and make it less complicated to understand. if you have a general fan watching a NL game it's easy to know why a manager would pinch hit with a batter who would be better hitter, but it can be complicated when you do a double switch.. the manager is replacing a pitcher on the mound, but WTF why is the position player also being replaced?!
I think you could bring in more new fans by having all teams use the DH.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 514)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:58 am

SpecialFNK wrote:I think you could bring in more new fans by having all teams use the DH.

If the goal is to bring in more fans, making games not be four hours long is where the goal should be. Given that, from what I recall, the average AL game is longer than the average NL game, adding the DH to the NL is counterproductive on this front. Get the average game time league-wide to under three hours and watch how many more people start watching. There's more standing around in baseball than any other sport, and a lot of it is because there's no clock not allowing them to do so like there is in other sports.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 820)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:32 am

bigh0rt wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:I think you could bring in more new fans by having all teams use the DH.

If the goal is to bring in more fans, making games not be four hours long is where the goal should be. Given that, from what I recall, the average AL game is longer than the average NL game, adding the DH to the NL is counterproductive on this front. Get the average game time league-wide to under three hours and watch how many more people start watching. There's more standing around in baseball than any other sport, and a lot of it is because there's no clock not allowing them to do so like there is in other sports.

The last information I read about MLB game times has them just under 3 hours and shorter than an NFL game. MLB games also have a higher percentage of time where the ball is actually in play compared to the NFL.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:48 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

The last information I read about MLB game times has them just under 3 hours and shorter than an NFL game. MLB games also have a higher percentage of time where the ball is actually in play compared to the NFL.

People tolerate it in the NFL because it's 16 times per season, not 162. There's a far greater weight on any individual NFL game than there is on, say, Game 78 of the MLB season. It's 'worth' tolerating the dead time in football more so than baseball, and that's without considering the physical strain and rigor of one compared to the other.

I'm reading that last season the average game was 3 hrs, 21 minutes, which is actually 25 minutes less than in 2007. If we can cut it another 25 minutes you'll have more people willing to commit to watching more regularly, IMO. Put a clock on the pitcher. Basketball has an inbound clock, a clock to get over half court, a shot clock. Football has a play clock. Each has associated penalties for violation. Put a clock on the pitcher with rules in place to keep the game going. I'm tired of watching guys throw to first six times with no intention of actually picking off or even holding a runner. When Steve Trachsel was a Met you could use a sun dial to time him between pitches, it was brutal.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:30 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:If the goal is to bring in more fans, making games not be four hours long is where the goal should be. Given that, from what I recall, the average AL game is longer than the average NL game, adding the DH to the NL is counterproductive on this front. Get the average game time league-wide to under three hours and watch how many more people start watching. There's more standing around in baseball than any other sport, and a lot of it is because there's no clock not allowing them to do so like there is in other sports.

People tolerate it in the NFL because it's 16 times per season, not 162. There's a far greater weight on any individual NFL game than there is on, say, Game 78 of the MLB season. It's 'worth' tolerating the dead time in football more so than baseball, and that's without considering the physical strain and rigor of one compared to the other.

I'm reading that last season the average game was 3 hrs, 21 minutes, which is actually 25 minutes less than in 2007. If we can cut it another 25 minutes you'll have more people willing to commit to watching more regularly, IMO. Put a clock on the pitcher. Basketball has an inbound clock, a clock to get over half court, a shot clock. Football has a play clock. Each has associated penalties for violation. Put a clock on the pitcher with rules in place to keep the game going. I'm tired of watching guys throw to first six times with no intention of actually picking off or even holding a runner. When Steve Trachsel was a Met you could use a sun dial to time him between pitches, it was brutal.

There is a clock on the pitcher.
Rule 8.04
When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within
12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating
this rule, the umpire shall call “Ball.”
The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the
batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:26 pm

A rule isn't a ruless unless its enforced.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:48 pm

Having the pitcher hit is archaic. 100 years ago I am sure baseball "purists" were arguing that baseball should ban the use of fielding gloves.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers