22%
have both the AL and NL use the DH
43%
remove the DH all together and have pitchers bat in both the AL and NL
35%

Total votes : 37

Re: DH

Postby bigken117 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:50 pm

nothing gets me fired up like the double switch in the 7th inning, only to see the "batter" who hits in the 9 spot now strike out to end the game :-b

let them all DH, let's pitchers worry about pitching and not give them a free out every time through the order.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Re: DH

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:53 pm

Skin Blues wrote:A 5 year old could have made the lineup
a 5 year old could make the lineup for any AL team.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:56 pm

aardvarks wrote:not to mention they treat there 8 hole hitters like they're Babe Ruth
I'll assume you're talking about NL teams, and If so, nothing could be further from the truth.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Charette » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:06 pm

Get rid of the DH completely. The NL game is much better. When to pinch hit is a tough decision. If you want a hitter who can't field good , then that's another tough decision . Where to play him and when to take him out for a defensive replacement.
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:17 pm

wrveres wrote:
aardvarks wrote:not to mention they treat there 8 hole hitters like they're Babe Ruth
I'll assume you're talking about NL teams, and If so, nothing could be further from the truth.

These are clearly the words of somebody who doesn't watch NL games. Early in a game you may walk an 8 hitter to get to the pitcher if you fall behind. Later in a game, getting the 8 hitter out, especially if there's 2 outs, is monumental. It's the difference, sometimes, between whether or not a SP gets to pitch another inning (he isn't pinch hit for) in the game or if you get to face the bullpen the next time you bat.

I'll be fine with letting pitchers not hit because they suck at it when I don't have to watch players like Mark Reynolds field.

This is without even considering the likelihood of the increase between 'haves' and 'have nots' or 'big market' vs. 'small market' as teams with a DH are forced to pay an additional player a 'full-time starter' salary, as they start 10 players per game instead of 9. This is one of the underlying reasons of the huge disparity in the American League between teams who spend and teams who don't.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby aardvarks » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:20 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
wrveres wrote:

These are clearly the words of somebody who doesn't watch NL games. Early in a game you may walk an 8 hitter to get to the pitcher if you fall behind. Later in a game, getting the 8 hitter out, especially if there's 2 outs, is monumental. It's the difference, sometimes, between whether or not a SP gets to pitch another inning (he isn't pinch hit for) in the game or if you get to face the bullpen the next time you bat.

I'll be fine with letting pitchers not hit because they suck at it when I don't have to watch players like Mark Reynolds field.

This is without even considering the likelihood of the increase between 'haves' and 'have nots' or 'big market' vs. 'small market' as teams with a DH are forced to pay an additional player a 'full-time starter' salary, as they start 10 players per game instead of 9. This is one of the underlying reasons of the huge disparity in the American League between teams who spend and teams who don't.

I watched about 50 Braves games last yr and thousands of NL games over the last 30 years :-?

and nearly everytime the 8 hole hitter came to the plate with runner(s) in scoring position he either gets intentionally walked or pitched around.

you want to say more so in the 1st 6 innings fine. he still gets the Babe Ruth treatment
aardvarks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 76)

Postby Tavish » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:41 pm

I enjoy NL style baseball more than AL, but I would really rather they just pick one way and standardize it. If that means adding a DH to the NL then so be it.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Re: Re: Re: DH

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:12 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
wrveres wrote:the truth.
blah blah blah … Mets fan.
I was thinking more along the lines of how the lineups are set when I read that. Actually, I don't know what I was thinking. Musta been the heat, as I was outside digging a pond. Move along, nothing to see here.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: Re: Re: DH

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:13 pm

wrveres wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
wrveres wrote:the truth.
blah blah blah … Mets fan.
I was thinking more along the lines of how the lineups are set when I read that. Actually, I don't know what I was thinking. Musta been the heat, as I was outside digging a pond. Move along, nothing to see here.

I was agreeing with you putzo :-b
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:15 pm

Tavish wrote:I enjoy NL style baseball more than AL, but I would really rather they just pick one way and standardize it. If that means adding a DH to the NL then so be it.

That's pretty much where I am at too. I've accepted that the DH isn't going away
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers