22%
have both the AL and NL use the DH
43%
remove the DH all together and have pitchers bat in both the AL and NL
35%

Total votes : 37

Re: DH

Postby Element » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:16 am

mweir145 wrote:Oh yes, sacrifice bunts and double switches. Such strategy. Just the peak of excitement. We wouldn't want to lose those. :-b

Joe Torre used to hand in a lineup card and take a nap in the dugout. We definitely need more of that! ;-D
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 685)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:45 am

Element wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Oh yes, sacrifice bunts and double switches. Such strategy. Just the peak of excitement. We wouldn't want to lose those. :-b

Joe Torre used to hand in a lineup card and take a nap in the dugout. We definitely need more of that! ;-D

for what its worth, it wasn't exactly hard to manage those Yankees teams. when the Yankees played a bad team you knew it was almost a guaranteed win.

I think once they start playing interleague every day, you have to have either all DH or no DH.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 74)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:09 pm

Element wrote:

A 5 year old could have made the lineup for those teams and they would have been in the playoffs. Why exactly do we care what the managers are doing, anyway? We're going to preserve an archaic tradition because we don't want to miss out on managers making decisions. Because that's so... exciting?? I voted for keeping the status quo because it really dones't bother me what goes on in the NL and I like the quirk of having different rules. Wouldn't break my heart to see them start using a DH though. However I'd hate to see the DH removed from the AL.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Element wrote:

That's why I'm in favor of robot managers.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby silverZ » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:18 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Element wrote:

That's why I'm in favor of robot managers.

They must be real physical robots though, along with the umpires, with different programming, so we can have robot fights when their programs don't agree.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:24 pm

Element wrote:

Watching a pitcher standing at the plate totally cluless is better.
And to solve your problem:
I suggest we eliminate the Yankees. :-D
Increase roster size to 26, to keep the player's union happy. :-)
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Urban Cohorts » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:31 pm

Just make everyone use a DH.

I'd rather watch a real hitter at the plate instead of a pitcher trying to hit. This also skews NL Pitchers K totals as I'm sure pitchers strike out far more often than their counterparts.

Generally speaking, most average fans who go to games (if you call them fans) would rather see a game be 20 to 19 versus two pitchers throwing near no hitters. It just isn't as exciting for most people when runs aren't generated. And baseball could use a boost in fans. Even if they aren't real fans.

And to chime in on the strategy part- there is no strategy in baseball as a manager. Compared to the NFL or NHL that is. Maybe they have the NBA beat, but I'm not even sure on that one.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Element » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Skin Blues wrote:
Element wrote:

A 5 year old could have made the lineup for those teams and they would have been in the playoffs. Why exactly do we care what the managers are doing, anyway? We're going to preserve an archaic tradition because we don't want to miss out on managers making decisions. Because that's so... exciting?? I voted for keeping the status quo because it really dones't bother me what goes on in the NL and I like the quirk of having different rules. Wouldn't break my heart to see them start using a DH though. However I'd hate to see the DH removed from the AL.

When I watch a game I'm always thinking of the different situations/plays, pitch sequences, etc (A manager's POV I guess). It's rare that I watch a game strictly for it's entertainment value. If I want to unconciously sit on the coach & watch a game I'll put on an NBA game or something. The great thing about baseball is that there is a level of strategy at every moment of the game. Whether it's how the pitcher attacks a hitter or how a manager puts a play on to advance runners. There's always something. In the NL game there is just more of it. Roster management is much more meaningful. Most AL teams have one guy that generally gets a majority of the DH at bats. Therefore there is less pinch hitting & player substituions. I understand that things like a double switch isn't exactly exciting, but it's part of the history of the game & I believe that's the way that it should be played.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 685)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:26 pm

Strategy from a pitcher, hitter, runner or fielder is a lot different than the strategy of whether a manager should let his pitcher flail away in the batters box versus letting a scrub utility player have a slightly better chance while flailing away. And bunting is a lot more exciting when you don't already know that the inept pitcher is going to lay one down if somebody is on base.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Postby aardvarks » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:06 pm

A couple of years ago I was driving to work listening to Sunday night baseball Mets vs someboday. Pelfrey singles, and the announcer says thats the 1st hit by a Met pitcher this year. it was the end of May. there's a slump for you. 0 for 2 months.

not to mention they treat there 8 hole hitters like they're Babe Ruth
aardvarks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 87)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers