Why are people so down on Ian Kennedy in 2012? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why are people so down on Ian Kennedy in 2012?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why are people so down on Ian Kennedy in 2012?

Postby Urban Cohorts » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:50 pm

Skin Blues wrote:To expect Kennedy to outperform his peripherals that significantly again is setting yourself up for disappointment.

I agree with the premise of this, but there are always exceptions to the rule.

Kennedy has actually outperformed his peripherals (by a good margin) for 2 straight years now. More so in 2010 than in 2011. His BABIP in 2010 was insanely lucky at .256 and went up to .270 in 2011. Yet his FIP, xFIP, and WAR all dramatically improved in 2011 from 2010. So while he may be getting lucky as far as ERA goes, you cannot deny that his peripherals are improving and have been since his injury in 2009.

When I look at him, I see improvements in all aspects- K/9, BB/9, GB%, small increases in his FB velocity, and the introduction of a good cutter. Sure, his HR/FB is going to rise pitching in Arizona, but if he can keep the ball on the ground, he still stands to be a pretty good.

I guess what I am wondering (which no one has answered so far) is will Kennedy repeat 2011 or regress somewhat in ERA? Throw out the record of course. And unless something disastrous happens, his K/9 and BB/9 should be the same (maybe better).

Javier Vazquez had a terrible strand rate for years, whereas Dice-K had an insanely good strand rate. So there are exceptions to the rule.

Could Kennedy be one of these exceptions to the rule, where he always outperforms his peripherals?
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why are people so down on Ian Kennedy in 2012?

Postby J35J » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:45 am

Urban Cohorts wrote:I guess what I am wondering (which no one has answered so far) is will Kennedy repeat 2011 or regress somewhat in ERA? Throw out the record of course. And unless something disastrous happens, his K/9 and BB/9 should be the same (maybe better).

Well of course he's going to regress in ERA....or at least that should be the expectations. Only the best of the best can maintain a sub 3.00ERA from year to year and it's even difficult for them with how much ERA can fluctuate. Look closer to a 3.50ERA and you'd be less likely to be disappointed, IMHO.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers