Transitioning to H2H Keeper league - need suggestions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Transitioning to H2H Keeper league - need suggestions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Transitioning to H2H Keeper league - need suggestions

Postby YankeeCommish » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:11 pm

Hello all, Ive been a long time roto fantasy baseball player/commish and this year by majority decision we're switching to a H2H format. I've never done a H2H baseball league and was looking for some advice on what settings/rules/scoring would be recommended. I want to point out a few things about our current league. We have a12 team keeper league, formally roto format and we use Yahoo. Our keeper league rules are very custom and do not follow standard keeper league formats. Each team in our league is allowed to keep 5 players from their previous year end roster. However, no player that was drafted in the first four rounds of the previous year's draft is allowed to be kept, ensuring that a good majority of the better players will be not be kept. Also, once you keep a player, you can only keep him for 3 years consecutively max, meaning if you had a player for 3 years straight, he's going back into the draft the following year. The players we decide to keep have no impact on giving up draft picks - for example if I kept CarGo, I wouldn't lose any draft pick(s) to keep him. I know our league is quite different from all other keeper leagues, but the format has worked well for us for a few years and we're going to keep those rules. Also, we do allow trading future draft picks in our trades (something yahoo has added to their site but needs fixing bc they only allow trading for picks if you give up a pick which is not always the case in our league). I'm only explaining the rules in case someone(s) who are interested in giving advice would like to know. That all being said, we have been using a standard 5x5 roto format and now are switching to a H2H format, but most guys in our league have never done H2H and I would like some advice on what seems to work best for your leagues. I would like to keep it a 5x5 league if possible instead of a points based system so that the whole integrity of our keeper system remains intact, since all of us already have keepers from previous years and I don't want any specific category (IE - saves, steals, etc) to be unfairly weighted against another category. I guess what I'm asking is:
1) In terms of say pitching, what is a standard starts per week, min innings pitched per week, max innings pitched per week? Any do min and max starts also apply to offensive players? (we were using C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, CI, MI, 3 OF, 1 Util - does this work well in H2H?)
2) As far as transactions, do you put a limit on the number of moves per week? Per year? At all? In our old format this wasn't really an issue b/c you had to pay $2 for each add/drop and so I never capped it so that the prize money pot would continue to grow. But I know in H2H formats this would be a problem bc I dont want someone have 34 starting pitchers go in a given week.
3) How do your playoffs work? We have 12 teams. When do the playoffs begin? How long do they last? If the top 6 make them, do first two teams have byes? Do 4 or 8 playoff team formats work better?
4) One win weeks versus category wins? If you have a 5x5 format, at the end of the week is being 1-0 versus say 7-3 more or less advantageous?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as the season gets closer, but if anyone has any advice (not including changing our keeper format) I would be extremely thankful. Good luck to all in your pre season draft preps.
YankeeCommish
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Transitioning to H2H Keeper league - need suggestions

Postby fast dogs » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:18 pm

Are you going to use a daily transactions rule or weekly? This will be a big factor in determining your # of adds and SP; and is the $2 still going to apply? I always liked making the regular season worth more by giving the top 2 teams a bye in a 6 team playoff or at the very least winning the tiebreaker in a 4 team playoff. With the new schedule of starting and ending midweek, some leagues have thrown out the last 3 days of the schedule as alot of starters and SP don't really play much. Many leagues have the finals last 2 weeks so a 6 team playoffs would start with a month to go, a 4 teamer with 3 weeks left in the season. A popular add the last few years to H2H is playing more than 1 opponent per week. If you use daily transactions this cuts down on mismatches in categories leading to a glut of SP adds.(sometimes)
While making changes to your league I would recommend adding a 4th OF to your roster; using a middle and corner infielder and only 3 OF leads to many OF left in the pool and just adding 1 OF spot would help make OF worth a little more and wouldn't really change your keepers
Once you respond to daily vs weekly question you'll get beter answers for your transactions questions
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 317)

Postby YankeeCommish » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:46 pm

Hey thanks for your feedback, we're going to use daily transactions, not weekly. And if possible I would like to keep a fee on each transaction, say $2. I should point out also that in past years, the first 40 moves were free and each move beyond 40 cost $2 each. Not sure how I would apply something like that to a H2H format. Again, any suggestions would be awesome, but again thanks for your advice so far.
YankeeCommish
T-Ball Trainer

Postby bigmck » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:32 pm

I have found that H2H is a lot more fun that Roto although I still do both. Use the Each Catagory as opposed to one win each week. If you have ten Catagories that would be ten wins a week. It gives each team a chance to come from behind at the end of the season. It is much better. == I used ESPN for my league. The default player moves is 7 each week. I used five. I also use ten pitcher starts each week. It stops teams from streaming. H2H is not that different. I wish you the best.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby mkultra » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:49 pm

If you're changing formats, you should redraft from scratch. I know you're thinking, "it doesn't matter, since we're keeping the same categories", but it's really best to start from a clean slate.

Personally, I prefer points to categories in H2H, since the "counting" categories (S,HR,SB,W) can be really random week to week.

For playoffs, my 12-team H2H league has 3 divisions. The winner of each division + top 3 non-division-winners (by record) go in to a 3-week seeded playoff bracket (top 2 seeds get a Bye the first week). The bottom 6 do a separate playoff bracket to compete for draft position next year. I strongly recommend scheduling your season so that your playoffs end a week before the end of the regular season (if not earlier), so that you don't wind up with teams in the finals getting hosed because of guys who are shut down or resting.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 38)

Postby JonC0226 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:20 pm

For integrity purposes, I would agree that if you change scoring formats you should have a clean slate with rosters. There are just too many difference in Roto/H2H. But as long as the majority of the managers in the league are okay with the keepers then have at it. After all, the most important thing in any league is that everyone is enjoying the experience.

I have always had an H2H Points league, but we are changing it this year. The points system is excellent and we have all loved it in my league. However, we want to make trades more relevant (which they aren't at all in an points league), so we are moving to a 5x5 H2H system. The categories are as follows:

Pitchers: Wins, Strike Outs, WHIP, ERA, Saves
Hitters: Runs, Home Runs, RBI, OPS, Stolen Bases

Don't use divisions. They are garbage. I had the best overall record in my league last year, but another manager had a better division record and he got the first week bye (subsequently he also won the championship). The top 3 overall records were also from my division and all of those teams had better records than the best team from the other division. He still got the bye though. Divisions are really pointless, rivalries will develop on their own.

As far as adds are concerned, try 4 during the regular season (cuts down on streaming and is really more than enough for injuries) and 2 during the playoffs (to further eliminate streaming).

Most important thing for playoffs: Your regular season should end with the month of August. This allows the playoffs to begin before teams are benching players for the playoffs or because they wont be making the playoffs. That is crucial. Championship week should be about two weeks before the end of the season. We also like having a two week championship "week." This accounts for the luck of happening to get a bunch of two start pitchers that week.

H2H is a lot more fun though.

Hope that helps.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby
JonC0226
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Commissioner's Corner