Closers List - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Closers List

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Closers List

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:07 pm

I think there's a stigma that closers have to have to be able to throw hard and strike people out, Wilton Lopez doesn't really do either of those things but he does get outs and more importantly he doesn't put runners on base. I think Houston will want a more conventional closer but who knows.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigken117 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:31 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:I think there's a stigma that closers have to have to be able to throw hard and strike people out,.

I think it would be nice if my closer limited the amount of contact he allowed batters to make in his brief appearances.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 254)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:08 pm

ensanimal wrote:. Camp could also be in the mix.

I know he has improved a bunch, but I can never get that 7 ish ERA in 07 out of my mind when he pitched with the Rays.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:26 pm

Isn't Shawn Camp a free agent?
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby silverZ » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:10 pm

Camp is a FA, and as someone who watched him a pitch a lot last year he is garbage.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 40)

Postby kab21 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:30 am

MasterX1918 wrote:I think there's a stigma that closers have to have to be able to throw hard and strike people out, Wilton Lopez doesn't really do either of those things but he does get outs and more importantly he doesn't put runners on base. I think Houston will want a more conventional closer but who knows.

I think Houston will want results. And Wilton throws 92mph and has a 7 K/9 so he's not awful at either. Especially since he's stingy with walks and has a high GB rate. Imo I don't see them putting a less experienced, less effective pitcher in the role.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 522)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:16 pm

Camp is terrible, and is a FA. The fact that draft picking loving Alex Anthopoulos didn't offer him arbitration, as a Type B, should indicate that. As well as his 1.45 K/BB and complete inability to strike anybody out. Watching him pitch it seems he should miss more bats because his pitches have so much movement, but all it gets him is a bunch of groundballs and no Ks. He allows way too many baserunners for anybody to consider a closer. Maybe a late inning reliver for when you really need a double play or a tough righty is up, but he's pretty useless. Most elite RPs throw right-handed so there's not much demand for a ROOGY.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 528)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:18 pm

kab21 wrote:LAD Guerra, Jansen - Kenley = Kimbrel Can he not implode at the wrong time again and take away the job from the lesser talented Guerra?

True, but who knows. If Guerra can improve a tad to offset the luck he had last year, I could see him holding onto the role. Maybe Mattingly wants to use his best RP (Jansen) in key situations and someone who has proven to be reliable (Guerra) in the 9th. Much like Percival and K-Rod back in the day..
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Element » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Urban Cohorts wrote:
kab21 wrote:LAD Guerra, Jansen - Kenley = Kimbrel Can he not implode at the wrong time again and take away the job from the lesser talented Guerra?

True, but who knows. If Guerra can improve a tad to offset the luck he had last year, I could see him holding onto the role. Maybe Mattingly wants to use his best RP (Jansen) in key situations and someone who has proven to be reliable (Guerra) in the 9th. Much like Percival and K-Rod back in the day..

Jansen's 80 innings in relief working the 7th/8th inning would be more valuable to the Dodgers than his 60 innings working as the closer. If Guerra is doing a decent job he should remain in the spot. Jansen is a horse and he'll get a ton of work in setup duty this season .... much to the dismay of fantasy owners.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 968)

Postby ensanimal » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:28 pm

Blue Jays acquired RHP Jason Frasor from the White Sox for RHP Myles Jaye and RHP Daniel Webb.
Frasor was shipped by the Blue Jays to the White Sox at the trade deadline, but he'll now head back north of the border. The 34-year-old posted a 3.60 ERA and 8.6 K/9 rate over 64 appearances for the Jays and Sox this past season. He'll help set up for closer Sergio Santos. Neither Jaye nor Webb were ranked by Baseball America among the Blue Jays' top 10 prospects.

Frasor is back and should get most of the set up opportunities.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 120)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers