Closers List - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Closers List

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Closers List

Postby Mateo de Lorenzo » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:08 am

So, I am trying to put together a list of closers and set up men for each team. Was hoping some other, more knowledgeable forum members could weigh in. Some are just speculation and some teams I have no idea. Thanks.

NYY-- Mariano, Robertson
BOS-- Bailey, Melancon
TB Farnsworth, Peralta
TOR Santos, Jannsen
BAL Johnson, Gregg

CHW Thornton, Crain
DET Valverde, Benoit
MIN Capps, Perkins
CLE Perez, Sipp/Pestano
KC Soria/Broxton

OAK Fuentes, Santos
ANA Walden, Downs
TEX Nathan, Adams
SEA League, Aardsma

PHI Papelbon, Bastardo
NYM F. Rodriguez, Parnell
MIA Bell, Cishek
ATL Kimbrel, Venters
WAS Storen, Clippard

STL Salas/Motte?, Motte/Salas
MIL Axford, Rodriguez
CHC Marmol, Wood
PIT Hanrahan, Veras
CIN Marshall, (Cordero is FA)
HOU Wilton Lopez, ???

ARZ Putz, Hernandez
SFG Wilson, Casilla
LAD Guerra, Jansen
SD Street, Chad Qualls?
COL Betancourt
Last edited by Mateo de Lorenzo on Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please help me with analyzing my team? viewtopic.php?f=29&t=433592
Mateo de Lorenzo Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 461
Joined: 6 Mar 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Closers List

Postby Smileyman9 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:36 am

Colorado is looking like Rafael Betancourt; Street was traded to San Diego, so I'm guessing he'll be closing there.

Also, Yankees setup is likely Rafael Soriano providing he's healthy
Image
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 336
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 25 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Closers List

Postby ensanimal » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:16 pm

I think Janssen will be the "setup" man for the Jays. I'd like him used though whenever the situation arises that you need to get an out or more. Camp could also be in the mix.
ensanimal
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10581
(Past Year: 120)
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tim Horton's

Re: Closers List

Postby kab21 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:58 pm

here are some the situations that interest me. Of course a lot will happen by draft time. I am watching Melancon and Guerra since I own them in a dynasty (or 20 player keeper plus big minors) and I need to cut somebody.

BOS-- Melancon, Bard (reversed?) - Bard to the rotation and I think they'll sign a closer
CHW ???, ??? - hmm... Who's the pickup here?
CLE Perez, Sipp/Pestano - perez was awful last year and his luck is going to run out. Pestano might be on a couple of my teams since Sipp is a lefty.
OAK Bailey, Balfour - Is Balfour the next in line if Bailey is traded this winter
NYM Parnell, Isringhausen - do they stick with Parnell or sign somebody? He could be an outstanding 15th rd value next year.
CIN Cordero, Bray - cordero is a FA so this spot is open AFAIK
HOU ???, ??? - Wilton Lopez?
LAD Guerra, Jansen - Kenley = Kimbrel Can he not implode at the wrong time again and take away the job from the lesser talented Guerra?
SD Street is the man
COL Betancourt could be a could value closer this year
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5291
(Past Year: 522)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Closers List

Postby silverZ » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:01 pm

Reed will most likely be the guy in CHW sooner rather than later. (shhhhh...don't hype him up)
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2917
(Past Year: 41)
Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Closers List

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:00 pm

kab21 wrote:OAK Bailey, Balfour - Is Balfour the next in line if Bailey is traded this winter

probably Fuentes, but they also have Fautino Santos who is dirty

kab21 wrote:NYM Parnell, Isringhausen - do they stick with Parnell or sign somebody? He could be an outstanding 15th rd value next year.

they signed Jon Rauch and Frank Francisco and I think they intend to let one of them close games initially though I wouldn't be surprised if Parnell fell back into the role. Isringhausen is gone and Frank Francisco is probably second in line.

Mateo de Lorenzo wrote:CIN Cordero, Bray

Cordero is gone (for now) Sean Marshall is the man at the moment

kab21 wrote:CHW ???, ??? - hmm... Who's the pickup here?

i'm pretty sure Chicago traded Santos with the intention of making Thornton the closer but Chris Sale could be relegated to the role if the fails in the Rotation. Same thing goes for the Red Sox with Bard and Texas with Feliz.

Mateo de Lorenzo wrote:MIA Bell, ???

Oviedo/Leo Nunez is still on the team.

Mateo de Lorenzo wrote:HOU ???, ???

Wilton Lopez might be the best reliever they have but he's no closer, the position might go to David Carpenter or Juan Abreu but who knows
Image
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 2150
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Closers List

Postby Mateo de Lorenzo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:30 am

MasterX1918 wrote:
kab21 wrote:OAK Bailey, Balfour - Is Balfour the next in line if Bailey is traded this winter

probably Fuentes, but they also have Fautino Santos who is dirty

kab21 wrote:NYM Parnell, Isringhausen - do they stick with Parnell or sign somebody? He could be an outstanding 15th rd value next year.

they signed Jon Rauch and Frank Francisco and I think they intend to let one of them close games initially though I wouldn't be surprised if Parnell fell back into the role. Isringhausen is gone and Frank Francisco is probably second in line.

Mateo de Lorenzo wrote:CIN Cordero, Bray

Cordero is gone (for now) Sean Marshall is the man at the moment

kab21 wrote:CHW ???, ??? - hmm... Who's the pickup here?

i'm pretty sure Chicago traded Santos with the intention of making Thornton the closer but Chris Sale could be relegated to the role if the fails in the Rotation. Same thing goes for the Red Sox with Bard and Texas with Feliz.

Mateo de Lorenzo wrote:MIA Bell, ???

Oviedo/Leo Nunez is still on the team.

Mateo de Lorenzo wrote:HOU ???, ???

Wilton Lopez might be the best reliever they have but he's no closer, the position might go to David Carpenter or Juan Abreu but who knows


Yeah but Nunez is still in the DR dealing with the legal issues hes facing and is still currently on the restricted list.
Please help me with analyzing my team? viewtopic.php?f=29&t=433592
Mateo de Lorenzo Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 461
Joined: 6 Mar 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Closers List

Postby TopChuckie » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:12 am

Mateo de Lorenzo wrote:Yeah but Nunez is still in the DR dealing with the legal issues hes facing and is still currently on the restricted list.


If Nunez doesn't make it back to the Marlins, and maybe even if he does, Cishek should be the setup man and first in line should something happen to Bell.
TopChuckie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 73
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Closers List

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:24 am

I'm also pretty certain that showalter plans to use Jim Johnson as his closer instead of Gregg
Image
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 2150
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Closers List

Postby kab21 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:52 am

I forgot about the Mets getting Francisco and Rauch. Rauch isn't very good imo although he's a solid 7th inning guy. Right now I would favor Francisco as the closer but both Francisco and Parnell are prone to implosions. Either of them could be named closer and then yanked after 2 spectacular April implosions.

Thornton is the best RP'er on the sox but he has two things working against him. He imploded at the wrong time last year and he's a lefty. I doubt the rookie (Reed) will factor in as closer this year unless trades or multiple implosions happen. Crain is also a possibility.

I don't understand why Fuentes is mentioned. he's becoming pretty mediocre and he's a lefty. After Bailey there are a lot of interesting options but none stand out other than Balfour.

I really don't understand why people say X pitcher isn't a closer. Wilton Lopez is their best option imo.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5291
(Past Year: 522)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apz, keishaml2, saemick and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Apr. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Baltimore at Boston
(11:05 am)
Kansas City at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
LA Angels at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
St. Louis at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Arizona at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
San Diego at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Houston at Seattle
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact