Please rank these available SPs in dynasty WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Please rank these available SPs in dynasty WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Please rank these available SPs in dynasty WHIR

Postby converge241 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:49 am

Leave comments if you like and/or a link to yours or just rank:

Ubaldo Jiminez
Wandy Rodriguez
Yu Darvish
Brett Anderson
Hiroki Kuroda
Ted Lilly
Jair Jurrjens
Trevor Bauer (dynasty so listing him)
Ivan Nova
Scott Baker

Thx!
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Please rank these available SPs in dynasty WHIR

Postby MaudDib » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:07 am

2. Ubaldo Jiminez
4. Wandy Rodriguez
1. Yu Darvish
3. Brett Anderson
8. Hiroki Kuroda
9. Ted Lilly
6. Jair Jurrjens
7. Trevor Bauer (dynasty so listing him)
5. Ivan Nova
10. Scott Baker

This is how I see them. I like Darvish and he has the most upside of this group. I couldn't fault someone putting Ubaldo but whatever happened to him last year has me a little worried. I actually like Anderson as much as Darvish but since he will be out at least half the season and it won't be until 2013 that he should be full strength, I would wait on him. Odds are pretty decent in a draft, you could get him behind guys like Jurrjens and Nova but when healthy Anderson has way more upside. Really after Anderson, there is a pretty big drop off for guys I like and Bauer just hasn't been around enough to be very confident in him.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:24 pm

Ubaldo Jiminez
Brett Anderson
Yu Darvish

Ivan Nova
Jair Jurrjens
Scott Baker
Trevor Bauer (dynasty so listing him)
Ted Lilly

Hiroki Kuroda
Wandy Rodriguez

I would probably take my chances here with Ubaldo. I think Anderson has the highest ceiling of the group, but he gets injured every single year. Darvish is a wild card. Going to Texas certainly didn't help his value. Arlington has a very hitter friendly stadium, whereas in Japan most parks are much more pitcher friendly with a larger than normal foul territory (think Oakland). I guess I'm more skeptical than most, but I really don't have a ton of faith in Japanese pitchers. Dice K had a few nice seasons, but that was mainly luck based.

I like Ivan Nova more than Jurrjens. A lot of Jurrjens value comes from his win total. He's nothing more than a soft tosser (low/unacceptable K/9) who usually outperforms his underlying stats. Nova is in the same mold I suppose, but he is younger and could still improve his K/9. Nova had decent control in 2011, which was a plus. Doesn't look like anyone special yet. I put Ted Lilly in this group as well. Lilly is a solid, reliable pitcher. He has good control and a good K rate. He also pitches in the NL West, so he can help you come playoff time. His age is not a plus, and you can probably get him late in the draft. Not a bad guy to grab at the end IMO. I like Baker too. He was injured last season, but the guy can pitch. Good K/9, good BB rate, good underlying stats- but for whatever reason his talent just never seems to translate to a good fantasy season.

The last tw0 guys don't impress me much. Wandy has been on the decline for years now. Not sure where either him or Kuroda are going to end up. A pitchers park would be helpful for both.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:41 pm

Darvish
Wandy
Ubaldo
Baker
Kuroda
Lilly
Anderson
Bauer
Jurrjens
Nova
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:46 pm

You're looking for a back-end starter, right? None of these guys are a #1 SP, so this is someone to fill out your rotation, hopefully. That being said, I'm willing to accept a lot of risk in exchange for upside at the back end of the rotation. So:

Ubaldo Jiminez - Has a good mix of track record and upside. As long as you're not banking on him to carry your staff, excellent gamble.

Yu Darvish - he's not Dice-K. That's a lazy comparison. Darvish put up 3 seasons in a row that were better than any 1 of Dice-K's. I don't expect him to be an ace, but a mid 4 ERA and 10-13 wins seems like a pretty reasonable floor.

Brett Anderson - Depends on how many DL spots you have. I'd probably stay away, though.

Trevor Bauer - Might be an aggressive ranking, but Bauer's statistical excellence in college is just as well documented as Darvish's in Japan. In a dynasty league I really would want him over the rest of the listed pitchers.

Honestly the rest of the list you could put in a few different orders depending on what you wanted to emphasize. Wandy would be number 5, but after that.... age and lack of K/9 upside would steer me away from just about all of 'em.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 55)

Postby kidsilk » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:47 pm

converge241 wrote:Leave comments if you like and/or a link to yours or just rank:

1.Ubaldo Jiminez
9.Wandy Rodriguez
2.Yu Darvish
3.Brett Anderson
10.Hiroki Kuroda
7.Ted Lilly
4.Jair Jurrjens
6.Trevor Bauer (dynasty so listing him)
5.Ivan Nova
8.Scott Baker

Thx!

This is how I see them. Thanks for your help with mine.
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1233)

Postby pre1322 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:53 pm

converge241 wrote:Leave comments if you like and/or a link to yours or just rank:

2. Ubaldo Jiminez
3. Wandy Rodriguez
1. Yu Darvish
4. Brett Anderson
6. Hiroki Kuroda
9. Ted Lilly
5. Jair Jurrjens
7. Trevor Bauer (dynasty so listing him)
8. Ivan Nova
10. Scott Baker

Thx!

That's what I would do. Outside of Darvish, everyone has obvious fleas. Darvish may have them, he may not...he's just the one I'm most willing to take a risk on. I like Wandy as much as Anderson, giving the nod to Wandy just because Anderson's health has burned me more than once. Anderson could go first though due to being younger.
pre1322
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Yu Darvish
Ubaldo Jiminez

Hiroki Kuroda
Wandy Rodriguez

I would wait on the 2nd tier a bit longer, unless they land somewhere fabulous. The others that I didn't name would be passed by quite a bit longer.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:59 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:Yu Darvish
Ubaldo Jiminez

Hiroki Kuroda
Wandy Rodriguez

I would wait on the 2nd tier a bit longer, unless they land somewhere fabulous. The others that I didn't name would be passed by quite a bit longer.

I find it interesting that you have Yu that high. Even if he is as good as he's hyped to be (I've only seen clips and the WBC), I can't imagine taking him ahead of Ubaldo.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:05 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:Yu Darvish
Ubaldo Jiminez

Hiroki Kuroda
Wandy Rodriguez

I find it interesting that you have Yu that high. Even if he is as good as he's hyped to be (I've only seen clips and the WBC), I can't imagine taking him ahead of Ubaldo.

I have him high compared to the rest of the guys on that list. I wouldn't necessarily say that I have him high on my SP list though, but I would still take a chance on him over Ubaldo.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions