Beltran to the Cards

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:27 pm

2 years, $26MM, no trade clause.

**** you giants front office, **** you. :-C
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 823)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Beltran to the Cards

Postby thedude » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:43 pm

Meh. That is a rather large contract for a guy with Beltran's shaky health history. It's a two year deal, so its not a huge risk, but I am not sure I would give him 26 million.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby ensanimal » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:49 pm

Beltran in right and Berkman at first right? Hopefully means Berkman remains healthy a bit longer and produces like he did early last season.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 120)

Postby A man in a box » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:56 am

St. Louis will be pleased and the Giants really dropped the ball. I know he got off to a slow start but a full year of Beltran makes them the unquestioned division favorites. They just gave the division to Arizona on a silver platter. Pagan should have a respectable season, but Melky Cabrera that is a lack of effort by Brian Saeban.
A man in a box
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:11 am

A man in a box wrote:St. Louis will be pleased and the Giants really dropped the ball. I know he got off to a slow start but a full year of Beltran makes them the unquestioned division favorites. They just gave the division to Arizona on a silver platter. Pagan should have a respectable season, but Melky Cabrera that is a lack of effort by Brian Saeban.

it's a clear sign from the ownership that they value lining their pockets quite a bit more than winning and a clear sign from sabean that he still has no clue how to do anything through free agency. trading melky and affeldt for anything would have freed up enough money to sign beltran and the giants have plenty of money coming off the books in 2013. they're just wasting one of the best pitching staffs in baseball, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if cain and lincecum both walk when they become free agents rather than play for a team that can't score them runs.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 823)

Postby bayside » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:23 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:**** you giants front office, **** you. :-C

+1
those cheap incompetent bastids!

good move for the Cardinals because Beltran can likely reach his value even if he has minor injuries, buttt...
..i cant help but think next season could very easily turn into a disaster.
every single player they are counting on for major contribution has some serious question marks:

Holliday - turning 32, coming off an injury plagued season his worst year since he joined the Cards. speed is completely gone.
Berkman - 36, nobody believes he can repeat 2011, his 2009/10 production far more likely
Wainwright - coming off TJ, who knows when/if he will be effective as his pre-injury self
Craig - already scheduled to miss at least a month with off season surgery. never performed at a high level over a full MLB season anyway
Beltran - 35, knees are always an issue
Furcal - LOL, its only a question of when
Carpenter - 37, even if he somehow avoids injury, wheels have to come off at some point right?
Freese - injury prone, is he really as good as he flashed at the end of '11
Jay - nobody wants him to get 500+ AB's now that Beltran signed, but if he must... well hes lousy

thats a lot of things that can very easily go wrong, which need to go right, in order for the Cards to have any chance to match their 2011 win total.
basically only the bullpen is a definite upgrade over last year, and Jaime Garcia will be at least as good as last year (3.5-4.5 WAR).
everything else is a
Last edited by bayside on Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 190)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:36 am

I agree with bayside's breakdown of the Cardinals roster. A lot of question marks and uncertainty. I think Holliday will have an overall solid season but i just cant trust Berkman/Beltran as being a big part of that core offense. Thats a big burden to bear on those 2 old guys.

I cant fault the giants for not paying that type of dough to Beltran, but I believe the money could have been used to go after one of the big bats this offseason. Like its been mentioned above, they have one of the nastiest rotations and it wouldnt take much to win the division.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 68)

Postby A man in a box » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:53 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote: it's a clear sign from the ownership that they value lining their pockets quite a bit more than winning and a clear sign from sabean that he still has no clue how to do anything through free agency. trading melky and affeldt for anything would have freed up enough money to sign beltran and the giants have plenty of money coming off the books in 2013. they're just wasting one of the best pitching staffs in baseball, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if cain and lincecum both walk when they become free agents rather than play for a team that can't score them runs.

Lincecum sounds like he will walk for sure. If the A's move the Giants may do nothing but line their pockets, hell they own the Bay Area now and they will try to put a team together good enough to win 85 games and hope for injuries by other teams. They really dropped the ball on Beltran, if they are concerned about age not like you have a HOF at first base get Prince Fielder to replace Beltran, this lack of effort is offensive. They are not San Diego or Cleveland. They are an upper mid market team in average times and big market when they win. They should be dominating that division since the Dodgers are broke.
A man in a box
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:31 pm

bayside wrote:Carpenter - 37, even if he somehow avoids injury, wheels have to come off at some point right?

Nope, Carpenter is going to pitch until he is 45 and win 70 games between now and then.

But aside from that, things aren't looking great for the Cardinals. I have the Brewers and Reds ahead of them currently. And for the wild card, I still like the teams mentioned plus the Braves and maybe even the Nationals.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:03 pm

I don't think they will run away with it but I like the Cards chances in the NL Central. With no Fielder and Braun out 1/3 of the season the Brewers are going to be hurting. It wouldn't shock me to see them trade Greinke before the end of the season if things go south. The Reds are still a good team I just don't think they have the SP to win the division.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers