11 questions to get some chatter started - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

11 questions to get some chatter started

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 11 questions to get some chatter started

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:07 am

1) Is Albert Pujols still the #1 pick? Does he fall in your rankings due to last year’s stats, age, injury, the move to the AL or other players improving?
I think if I were to have the #1 pick in a standard league I'd go with Pujols. I'm not 100% positive with Miguel Cabrera staring me in the face, but there's just a comfort there with Pujols that doesn't exist with any other player. It's hard to argue with Cabrera going #1 though. I'd almost rather have the 2nd pick so I don't have to make the choice and can just take whichever dropped to me.

2) Who is the second shortstop drafted? Hanley Ramirez and Jose Reyes?
Reyes.

3) How early do you take Stephen Strasburg? Matt Moore? Yu Darvish?
I haven't broken down my rankings to round expectations yet, but in Roto I'm taking Strasburg in the Grienke range. Moore I'm taking in the Colby Lewis range, and Darvish I'm probably just not taking because I don't know enough about him and somebody's bound to reach early.

4) Is Mike Napoli the #1 catcher? Victor Martinez? Brian McCann? Carlos Santana? Do you take any of them in the top 50?
For me it's McCann. The guy doesn't hurt your average and I feel is just consistently excellent. V-Mart is getting older, Santana I absolutely love and know that .239 average is a lot of BABIP related business, but I have more confidence in McCann than any other catcher.

5) Is Roy Halladay the #1 starting pitcher? Justin Verlander? Clayton Kershaw? Other?
Kershaw for me. Halladay next. Verlander after that.

6) How far does Ryan Braun fall in roto leagues? H2H leagues?
4 or 5 Rounds in Roto. Maybe 3 in H2H?

7) Which injured/declining third basemen rebounds to last season’s draft spot? Alex Rodriguez, Kevin Youkilis, Ryan Zimmerman or David Wright?
David Wright.

8) Do you draft Aramis Ramirez over any of the previously mentioned third basemen?
Over A-Rod, who I have absolutely no confidence in this year, which means he'll probably belt 45 HR to spite me.

9) Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Jayson Werth, Kendrys Morales (0 AB’s), Adam Dunn and Alex Rios were awful in 2011. Which one(s) do you take a chance on this year?
I'd take Morales to pair at 1B with another sleeper type guy if you don't take a 1B real early. Someone like Eric Hosmer, Ike Davis, Lucas Duda, Paul Goldschmidt. I wonder where he'll go in drafts this year.

10) Whose hype are you buying? Brett Lawrie, Eric Hosmer or Desmond Jennings?
I surprisingly see big things for all three. I like Lawrie the best cause of the eligibility. Jennings is the most exciting.

11) Who are your top sleepers? (projected pick #150 or later)
Join me on the Lucas Duda Express. All aboooaarrdddd.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:06 pm

Kaohsiung, Taiwan

It's about time I contributed to my own thread. I have planned to start doing my draft prep but... I did do enough minors prep to snag Daniel Norris at pick #23 in my 24 tm dynasty. Yes that means I was 2nd.

1) Is Albert Pujols still the #1 pick? Does he fall in your rankings due to last year’s stats, age, injury, the move to the AL or other players improving?
I think this year I trade down from the #1 pick if possible but Miguel is my guy with Albert #2. He was still awesome last year but I'm getting uneasy with his health.

I would pick Reyes between these two but I'll avoid both. I like to minimize risk early and take risks in the mid/late rds.

I like all of these guys next season but Strasburg will go too early for me. I see the hype train getting him drafted ahead of Hamels, Weaver, Haren and maybe even a guy like Greinke. I prefer to minimize risk this early. Moore and Darvish are strong possibilities in rd 8-12. but I think Moore might go earlier than this.

4) Is Mike Napoli the #1 catcher? Victor Martinez? Brian McCann? Carlos Santana? Do you take any of them in the top 50?
I would take Napoli first and might do it if he sticks until the 4th rd. And Santana 2nd. both of these guys will play 150+ games with plenty of games at DH/1B to stay fresh. VMart only hit 12 HR's last year so I'll pass. His upside is 20HR's and I'm looking for more out of a top 50 pick.

5) Is Roy Halladay the #1 starting pitcher? Justin Verlander? Clayton Kershaw? Other?
Halladay for me but I start loading up on pitchers in the 5th rd. Outstanding value at that point and hitters drop off a cliff imo.

rd 4 seems about right. I'll be tempted there depending on league setup. rotovsH2H, depth and roster setup (bench spots)

7) Which injured/declining third basemen rebounds to last season’s draft spot? Alex Rodriguez, Kevin Youkilis, Ryan Zimmerman or David Wright?
zim. He was injured last year and should be healthy. Wright has nothing left around him but would be my next pick. I don't trust Arod or Youk that early.

8) Do you draft Aramis Ramirez over any of the previously mentioned third basemen?
Aram will be ranked similar to Arod and Youk. All 3 could get interesting in the 5th-6th rd if they fall that far.

9) Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Jayson Werth, Kendrys Morales (0 AB’s), Adam Dunn and Alex Rios were awful in 2011. Which one(s) do you take a chance on this year?
Mauer in rd 8-10 interests me and rios around rd 15 interests me.

I like all 3 but Lawrie has the perfect combo of position and 5 categories. Jennings could be the guy that I get since it seems he'll fall to the most reasonable level.

I'm all about Kipnis and I think he'll be drafted in the 10th-14th so he might qualify. bud Norris could surprise on a sucky team. I guess it's time to start doing some deeper research because I don't know where guys are falling to. this is a must do. I'm going to have to make this a priority along with the other 100 important things.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby daweasle » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:53 am

King Albert is easily a top five pick – but everyone realizes that moving from NL to AL can be a huge dropoff. Adam Dunn proved this last year.

I think in a 12 team league – there are 10-11 really good catchers. Miguel Montero, matt wieters, alex avila, buster posey, Joe Mauer, etc. > position scarcity is no longer an issue at catcher. While I love the four you posted – I wouldn’t feel bad at all about ending up with the five I posted. I cannot take any one of these till the other 7 or 8 are gone.

Verlander and Halladay are neck and neck and no one else should be in the conversation.

Depends on the depth of your bench and he falls much further in roto leagues than head to head leagues.

---NO---

Lawrie
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:58 am

kab21 wrote:1) Is Albert Pujols still the #1 pick? Does he fall in your rankings due to last year’s stats, age, injury, the move to the AL or other players improving?

Yes, margin isn't as big as it was, but he's still the #1 pick.

I'm just going to pass on either and wait for Starlin Castro. If gun to head, I'd rather have Reyes.

6th round, 5th round, late enough where I won't get him.

Rather have McCann #1. I don't take catchers early

Kershaw is the most exciting one fantasy-wise

Far, 50 games is 1/3 of the season. 5th-6th round maybe?

Zimmerman, probably the most athletic of the bunch. ARod has had 2 down years in a roll. Youkilis was a young guy with old player skill and those guys don't tend to age well. I don't know what's wrong with Wright.

Before Wright, maybe

Joe Mauer, will be catcher eligible, maybe actually play 100+ game if they play him around the diamond.

Brett Lawrie

Jesus Montero(is he top 150 now?), Brad Peacock, Devin Mesoraco
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers