11 questions to get some chatter started - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

11 questions to get some chatter started

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 11 questions to get some chatter started

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:40 am

1) Is Albert Pujols still the #1 pick? Does he fall in your rankings due to last year’s stats, age, injury, the move to the AL or other players improving?
Yes, combination of elite level and consistency.

2) Who is the second shortstop drafted? Hanley Ramirez and Jose Reyes?
I think Reyes will get drafted first, but I'd take Hanley ahead of him.

3) How early do you take Stephen Strasburg? Matt Moore? Yu Darvish?
I'd guess 5th-6th round for strasburg. not sure about the other two, I haven't done my pitching projections/rankings yet

4) Is Mike Napoli the #1 catcher? Victor Martinez? Brian McCann? Carlos Santana? Do you take any of them in the top 50?
Napoli and I could see taking him in the top 50, I'll have to see once my rankings are done.

5) Is Roy Halladay the #1 starting pitcher? Justin Verlander? Clayton Kershaw? Other?
Halladay fo sho.

6) How far does Ryan Braun fall in roto leagues? H2H leagues?
I could see taking him in the late 2nd round.

7) Which injured/declining third basemen rebounds to last season’s draft spot? Alex Rodriguez, Kevin Youkilis, Ryan Zimmerman or David Wright?
I'm gonna go with Zimmerman because of age.

8) Do you draft Aramis Ramirez over any of the previously mentioned third basemen?
I have A-ram ranked ahead of Youk

9) Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Jayson Werth, Kendrys Morales (0 AB’s), Adam Dunn and Alex Rios were awful in 2011. Which one(s) do you take a chance on this year?
Out of those I'd be most likely to take a chance on werth. it really depends on where they end up being drafted.

10) Whose hype are you buying? Brett Lawrie, Eric Hosmer or Desmond Jennings?
I think all three will end up being studs, but for 2012 I'll take Lawrie. Best power/speed combo of the three right now.

11) Who are your top sleepers? (projected pick #150 or later)
Don't really have any yet, still working on projections.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A man in a box » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:53 am

1) Is Albert Pujols still the #1 pick? Does he fall in your rankings due to last year’s stats, age, injury, the move to the AL or other players improving?
It's more debatable now. Cabrera looks to have a razor's edge over him at this point but could go either way.

Hanley

You avoid drafting pitching early, so I probably don't wind up with them.

4) Is Mike Napoli the #1 catcher? Victor Martinez? Brian McCann? Carlos Santana? Do you take any of them in the top 50?
Toss up between Santana and McCann

5) Is Roy Halladay the #1 starting pitcher? Justin Verlander? Clayton Kershaw? Other?
I like Kershaw but you can't lose here.

No Later than 5th.

7) Which injured/declining third basemen rebounds to last season’s draft spot? Alex Rodriguez, Kevin Youkilis, Ryan Zimmerman or David Wright?
Ryan Zimmerman.

8) Do you draft Aramis Ramirez over any of the previously mentioned third basemen?
Youkillis

9) Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Jayson Werth, Kendrys Morales (0 AB’s), Adam Dunn and Alex Rios were awful in 2011. Which one(s) do you take a chance on this year?
Mauer, Werth and if desperate for power Dunn. Can Morales even move and Rios is an enigma.

Hosmer should be a star.

Heard Chico Walker, Joe Orsulak and Turk Wendell were making a comeback attempts. So them. Seriously still working on research.
A man in a box
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby silverZ » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:11 pm

I'm still undecided. If he stayed in the NL this might have been the year where I take MCab over him, but now with the DH spot I still take Pujols first. Bautista is the only other player I consider taking first.

Don't know and it doesn't matter to me because I won't be touching either one. They feel too risky to me with their injury histories.

I don't think I'll touch Strasburg this year because his inning should, and probably will be limited. Moore is a guy I'll be targeting in the 8th/9th round. I may even reach for him in the 7th. I really hope his ADP is lower than that, but nothing will stop me from getting him as my #2 starter. Darvish I'm not going to touch unless he falls to the early teens.

Napoli is my #1, but I won't be touching any of those guys since I never draft a catcher early.

Doc is my #1 until he has a less than spectacular season. I can see a case for Verlander/Kershaw, but give me the guy who has been doing it for longer everytime.

No idea.

I don't think any of them will. They all seem old, injury prone, and/or just declining.

Nope. I'll be targeting Lawrie a round before his ADP.

Rios is the only one I plan on targeting because I know he'll fall faaaar, and I'm a sucker for power/speed combo guys in the late rounds. His average should rebound to a somewhat respectable area too. The rest of them? No thanks. Maybe Werth if he somehow falls to the late rounds as well. Maybe Dunn in a league that values OBP heavily.

I'm targeting all of them. These guys are going to be in the top 3 rounds by next year. Get em while you can!

Jhoulys Chacin, Santos, Willingham, Rasmus, Holland, Kenley Jansen, Bedard, Kelly Johnson, Addison Reed, Chris Sale, Mike Minor
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Smileyman9 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:10 pm

I haven't done much research outside of my auction keeper league roster, but here we go....

1) Is Albert Pujols still the #1 pick? Does he fall in your rankings due to last year’s stats, age, injury, the move to the AL or other players improving? I think I might skip him this year. He's certainly worthy of the first overall when healthy, I'm just not sure what to expect. I could see myself going Miggy or maybe even Kemp.

2) Who is the second shortstop drafted? Hanley Ramirez and Jose Reyes? If it's me picking, I go Hanley. Two fold reason really. Odds are high he gains 3B eligibility and health wise his history is a bit better. Last season I think can be explained away by an injury that caused another injury by over-compensating

3) How early do you take Stephen Strasburg? Matt Moore? Yu Darvish? In a one year league, Strasburg would be 6th-7th round; Moore would follow soon after; Darvish, if he was there towards the end of the draft I'd take a flyer, but I wouldn't target him while I still had holes.

4) Is Mike Napoli the #1 catcher? Victor Martinez? Brian McCann? Carlos Santana? Do you take any of them in the top 50? I go with Brian McCann. Some power with a BA that won't kill you. I like Napoli and he very well might be the best option at catcher, but I'd want to see it again before I dive in as early as I think he'll go. As for the top 50 part, depends on the size of the league. I'd guess that the best catcher in a 12 team league would be gone by the 4th-5th round.

5) Is Roy Halladay the #1 starting pitcher? Justin Verlander? Clayton Kershaw? Other? Verlander.

6) How far does Ryan Braun fall in roto leagues? H2H leagues? Haven't given it much thought, my main league is auction/keeper, so he isn't my problem :-D Presuming 50 game suspension, I'm guessing he'd still put up at least a 20-20 season. Not too shabby. Regardless of league type I think someone will take him by the 3rd round. In a roto league, I don't think I'd personally grab him before the 7th-8th round; In H2H, I'd go a little earlier 5th-6th.

7) Which injured/declining third basemen rebounds to last season’s draft spot? Alex Rodriguez, Kevin Youkilis, Ryan Zimmerman or David Wright? Ryan Zimmerman, he missed a lot of time with an abdominal injury, still put up 12HRs with a .289 BA. I could see him easily improving on those numbers in 2012. Wright would be my second bet, I like that the fences are finally being moved in. A-rod as a top 15 pick is coming to an end with that balky hip.

8) Do you draft Aramis Ramirez over any of the previously mentioned third basemen? Today, I'd move him a peg above Youk. That's based more on Youk spending at least 20 days on the DL.

9) Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Jayson Werth, Kendrys Morales (0 AB’s), Adam Dunn and Alex Rios were awful in 2011. Which one(s) do you take a chance on this year? I'd roll the dice on Joe Mauer. I'm interested in Kendrys, but more as a late round flyer since his future has become a bit cloudy between Trumbo and Pujols.

10) Whose hype are you buying? Brett Lawrie, Eric Hosmer or Desmond Jennings? I honestly think all 3 look pretty decent. In order, Hosmer looks like a monster, I liked what I saw from Jennings in the playoffs and then Lawrie who I honestly know the least about.

11) Who are your top sleepers? (projected pick #150 or later) Haven't even begun to look. Still, the first name that pops in my head would you believe is Jason Bay? I could totally see him mashing with the fences moved in enough for the Mets to trade him. .
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Halo Homers » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 pm

I would pick him #1, I think he'll be motivated this year

Hanley Ramierz

Strasburg and Darvish - I want to see spring training, Moore - Round 8/9

Carlos Santana

Justin Verlander

Round 3

PNone rebound

No

Morales and Dunn

Hosmer and Jennings

11) Who are your top sleepers? (projected pick #150 or later)[/quote]

I like Jason Kubel in Arizona, Belt in SF
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby Cream » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:42 am

Urban Cohorts wrote:

I would rather not say ;-)

Oh come on - why not? Spill the beans!!!
Cream
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby Cream » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:41 pm

I'd consider Miggy (in a keeper) or even Tulo (in a keeper or deeper league) over Pujols. I find it interesting that a few people have mentioned Kemp when he is only a year removed from what for him would be considered a stinker. I know that year appears to be the outlier, but I'd prefer the known consistency in Pujols/Miggy over Kemp. I'd also add, Braun would've garnered some serious consideration from me for the 1st pick before news of his impending suspension (more on that later).

I take Hanley this year b/c of the added 3B eligibility (especially in leagues with CI/MI spots). Last year when rumors about M. Young gaining 2B eligibility came out I immediately acquired him. Having that flexibility from a decent player (mid round) was incredibly valuable. With the potential of Hanley, that flexibility could mean a ton to a team. All this said, I think Reyes ADP is higher. I won't be touching either of them despite these thoughts.

They will probably all go too early for my liking. In roto I'd be more likely to target Stras/Moore as the IP limits won't impact a playoff run as they would in a H2H league. I think picks 80-120 is a reasonable range, but still too early for me.

As others have said, I likely won't draft any of them. Thus, I haven't spent much time looking into how they should be ranked. I think if you're set on getting any of them, you just wait it out until 3 of them are gone and grab the 4th. In a keeper I'd prefer Santana (but again, am unlikely to keep a catcher).

Halladay is still number one for me. In a keeper league I'd strongly consider Kershaw

In H2H I can see taking him in 3/4 round. In a roto I probably would touch him until 5/6. H2H is all about making the playoffs - anything can happen from there. Braun would be a huge boost to any team making a playoff run. The same can be said for roto leagues, but I think the impact of a replacement level player on 5 hitting cats for 1/3 of the season would be tough to overcome. If you take him in a roto league earlier you'd better be fairly savvy in constructing a good lineup for the first 1/3 of the year.

Zimmerman and Wright for me. I don't think Wright is a first round talent anymore, but certainly early-mid second is within reach.

I take him over Youk

I'd take a chance with Rios - I can't seem to stay away from him. Werth is a possibility, but he'd have to fall pretty far.

I'm buying all three - Hosmer, Lawrie, Jennings - in that order. I think Jennings will end up a little to over-hyped this year with people expecting the same HR output.

[color=#FF0000]I haven't spent enough time digging into this and UC is one of my league mates. With that said, I really like Posada, Varitek, Wily Mo and Manny :-° ;-7 [/color
Cream
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby jfg » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:00 pm

You can't go against Pujols with #1 IMO. You can maybe think about Cabrera, but you have to go Pujols in almost any league type.

Reyes. One year isn't going to drop Hanley out of the top SS spot at draft time.

I haven't looked much at where these guys are projected to go but I think I can safely say I'll reach to get Strasburg, let somebody else take Moore and take Yu Darvish if nobody else reached.

I don't think I'd take any of them top 50. V-Mart will go #1 but I think the crown will be Santana's at the end of the year.

Halladay is #1 and of the the other 2 I think Kershaw has the best chance of repeating last years performance. Don't get me wrong, Verlander is still an ace, but I don't think he'll be worthy of where he'll be drafted.

Somebody will take him in the 5th-6th. That's a lot of time to miss but it will be tempting when lI look at what I'm thinking about drafting. It'll be interested to see if he's kept in a league where only keep 4 guys.

I'd say Zimmerman has the best chance of performing right back at his normal levels. But, ARod still has the best chance of putting up elite numbers if he can stay healthy. If he can he's going to be the difference maker on a lot of teams this year.

No.

Mauer. He'll be cheap and he'll be a good fit on teams that just fill in the C spot with whatever is available.

Hosmer.

I haven't really looked at lists yet and the lists I'm pulling up don't make sense.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:17 pm

Reyes. One year isn't going to drop Hanley out of the top SS spot at draft time.
Tulowitzki will almost assuredly be the first SS drafted. That's why the question poses those two ad the choices for 2nd SS drafted.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby jfg » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:40 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Tulowitzki will almost assuredly be the first SS drafted. That's why the question poses those two ad the choices for 2nd SS drafted.

;-D
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers