11 questions to get some chatter started - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

11 questions to get some chatter started

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

11 questions to get some chatter started

Postby kab21 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:39 am

The cafe has been unusually quiet this year so here are 11 questions to get everyone talking. And keeping with my standard thread starting practice (cheering and venting thread) I'm including a photo that I've taken recently to kick the thread off.

Lover's Gorge Waterfall and myself - Taiwan

My website - The World Is Not That Big

Now, let's talk about fantasy.
1) Is Albert Pujols still the #1 pick? Does he fall in your rankings due to last year’s stats, age, injury, the move to the AL or other players improving?

2) Who is the second shortstop drafted? Hanley Ramirez and Jose Reyes?

3) How early do you take Stephen Strasburg? Matt Moore? Yu Darvish?

4) Is Mike Napoli the #1 catcher? Victor Martinez? Brian McCann? Carlos Santana? Do you take any of them in the top 50?

5) Is Roy Halladay the #1 starting pitcher? Justin Verlander? Clayton Kershaw? Other?

6) How far does Ryan Braun fall in roto leagues? H2H leagues?

7) Which injured/declining third basemen rebounds to last season’s draft spot? Alex Rodriguez, Kevin Youkilis, Ryan Zimmerman or David Wright?

8) Do you draft Aramis Ramirez over any of the previously mentioned third basemen?

9) Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Jayson Werth, Kendrys Morales (0 AB’s), Adam Dunn and Alex Rios were awful in 2011. Which one(s) do you take a chance on this year?

10) Whose hype are you buying? Brett Lawrie, Eric Hosmer or Desmond Jennings?

11) Who are your top sleepers? (projected pick #150 or later)
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 11 questions to get some chatter started

Postby Element » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:23 pm

1) Is Albert Pujols still the #1 pick? Does he fall in your rankings due to last year’s stats, age, injury, the move to the AL or other players improving?

He's still my #1 pick, but the gap is closing.

Because of the offseason buzz, Reyes. I personally prefer Hanley, but I believe that Reyes' ADP will be higher.

I wouldn't feel comfortable reaching for any of these guys based off of where they will likely be drafted. I think that we can expect Strasburg and Moore to be on some sort of an innings cap. I like Darvish, but I'm usually more conservative than my league mates. Someone will reach.

4) Is Mike Napoli the #1 catcher? Victor Martinez? Brian McCann? Carlos Santana? Do you take any of them in the top 50?

I never draft catchers early. I have V-Mart as the #1 guy though. He's the only catcher that I could reach see reaching 100 RBI. He'll hit around 0.300 & should see a slight uptick in power again as well.

5) Is Roy Halladay the #1 starting pitcher? Justin Verlander? Clayton Kershaw? Other?

Doc is about as safe as you can get. He's still my #1.

I may roll the dice if he's still out there in rounds 3-4. Maybe that's a little early, but if he's only missing a month and a half I could still see a 20/20 season.

7) Which injured/declining third basemen rebounds to last season’s draft spot? Alex Rodriguez, Kevin Youkilis, Ryan Zimmerman or David Wright?

I like the value that Ryan Zimmerman is likely going to bring this season. IMO, he's always been a touch underrated in fantasy circles and I think that that will be the case again. I could also see David Wright having a bounce back season. I will not draft Youk again.

8) Do you draft Aramis Ramirez over any of the previously mentioned third basemen?

Over Youk, yes. I like the park for him. He'll have a better lineup around him as well.

9) Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Jayson Werth, Kendrys Morales (0 AB’s), Adam Dunn and Alex Rios were awful in 2011. Which one(s) do you take a chance on this year?

Alex Rios is an early target of mine. He struck out just 11.9% of the time last season & his BABIP was only 0.237 despite seeing his LD% increase to 18%. I think that he'll fall too far and I'll gladly scoop him up. I would also take chances on Werth and Mauer if they fell far enough.

Hosmer. He's going to be a good one for a long time. I like the others a lot as well, but believe that the rates which they were producing last season are slightly unsustainable at this point in their careers.

I like Peter Bourjos, Ike Davis, Logan Morrison, Lucas Duda, Jaime Garcia & Kenley Jansen as guys that could be had after pick 150 & end up on the top 100.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 762)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:38 pm

1) Is Albert Pujols still the #1 pick? Yes
2) Who is the second shortstop drafted? Hanley Ramirez and Jose Reyes? Hanley for me. I'll gamble on the upside.
3) How early do you take Stephen Strasburg? Matt Moore? Yu Darvish? With doing my rankings I would guess round 10.
4) Is Mike Napoli the #1 catcher? Victor Martinez? Brian McCann? Carlos Santana? Do you take any of them in the top 50? No on Napoli. I'd take Santana or McCann first among catchers, none in the top 50.
5) Is Roy Halladay the #1 starting pitcher? Justin Verlander? Clayton Kershaw? Other? Still Halladay number one.
6) How far does Ryan Braun fall in roto leagues? H2H leagues? I think he falls futher in roto leagues, maybe to round 5 but in H2H I'd take him in the 3rd if he is still available.
7) Which injured/declining third basemen rebounds to last season’s draft spot? Alex Rodriguez, Kevin Youkilis, Ryan Zimmerman or David Wright? . If I had to pick one I'd go with Wright.
8) Do you draft Aramis Ramirez over any of the previously mentioned third basemen? I think Arma and Youk are a toss up. The others I'd take before him.
9) Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Jayson Werth, Kendrys Morales (0 AB’s), Adam Dunn and Alex Rios were awful in 2011. Which one(s) do you take a chance on this year? I still think Mauer can hit. I'm not touching Dunn.
10) Whose hype are you buying? Brett Lawrie, Eric Hosmer or Desmond Jennings? Fantasy-wise Jennings cause he should run.
11) Who are your top sleepers? (projected pick #150 or later)[/quote] I haven't done much research yet. I'll be keeping an eye on Smoak in Spring Training. I still think he will hit.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby BigLebowski » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:52 pm

I have Albert and M-Cab neck and neck. Last year I took M-Cab over Pujols, and I'd probably do the same this year.

2) Who is the second shortstop drafted? Hanley Ramirez and Jose Reyes? Hanley - Bigger upside even with a tude like his.

3) How early do you take Stephen Strasburg? Matt Moore? Yu Darvish? They will all go before I am willing to take them so they aren't really even on my radar.

McCann is #1 in my book

5) Is Roy Halladay the #1 starting pitcher? Justin Verlander? Clayton Kershaw? Other? Doc is number 1 but Kershaw isn't far behind.

6) How far does Ryan Braun fall in roto leagues? H2H leagues? 3rd round if I'm drafting.

7) Which injured/declining third basemen rebounds to last season’s draft spot? Alex Rodriguez, Kevin Youkilis, Ryan Zimmerman or David Wright? Zimm and Wright are the only two I'd want to take a chance on. I think they both rebound. Youk and A-Rod are no longer big producers and they will go to early for me just off of name and the weak position.

8) Do you draft Aramis Ramirez over any of the previously mentioned third basemen? I'd take him over Youk and right next to A-Rod

9) Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Jayson Werth, Kendrys Morales (0 AB’s), Adam Dunn and Alex Rios were awful in 2011. Which one(s) do you take a chance on this year? Mauer can still hit so he should be fine, you know what you are getting from him. Werth should be able to rebound a bit, but he isn't the player many thought he was turning into.

10) Whose hype are you buying? Brett Lawrie, Eric Hosmer or Desmond Jennings? Hosmer, I'm a big fan of his. I like Lawrie and Jennings but I'd take Hosmer over them this year.

11) Who are your top sleepers? (projected pick #150 or later) No deep enough into my lists yet to say for sure. A couple would be Duda and Volquez
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby MaudDib » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:20 pm

He is the God of Baseball. So yes he should still be the #1 guy. Seems like everyone in the first round has some kind question surrounding them.

Reyes. I like Hanley but add in the surgery he had in the off-season and I would let someone else take that gamble.

Hard to say but Strasburg will probably be a top 80 player. Moore and Darvish are probably pretty similar and I could see top 120 or so but this all depends on the league setup. Personally I am happy to already have Moore and Darvish in a Dynasty league.

I wouldn't take Napoli as a #1. We are talking pretty small sample size on him. Personally I would take McCann then Santana but I have been waiting for Victor to take a step back for a while now. He is at an age that I would expect his numbers to fall off.

I have to take Kershaw here. A lot of people raved about Verlander but Kershaw's numbers are pretty close to that and some are even better. Only real knock on Halladay is that he is 34 and again I would expect to see a decline at some point. I have always tried to limit my risk and would rather be a year early on a player than a year late.

I am not sure about this. So much depends on when we will know whether he is going to be suspended or not. If people are drafting now, then he probably drops into the 3rd round or so but by the time February or March comes around, it will depend on hopefully more information.

Give me Wright. The Mets moved in the walls which should help his power and he is still young enough to be a top player for awhile. I like Zimmerman but man he doesn't seem to know how to stay healthy.

No.

Nope. Maybe Dunn because he will probably go late in drafts that it will be worth the risk but most of the other guys still have people thinking big things for or have just way too many things to be worried about.

Hosmer. This guy looks like a middle of the order power 1B who is likely to be a top 10-15 player during his prime. Jennings was hot last season but I don't see that continuing and he looks like a future top 40 player. I want to see a little more from Lawrie. He only played 43 games so it is too small of a sample to take much of a risk on him.

This is always a hard one. It is so dependent on your league setup and depth. Also depends on what you call a sleeper. Usually I think of a sleeper is a guy that will be taken late but will exceed his draft value big time. Some guys i will keep an eye on and see where they are being drafted:
Wainwright, Heyward, Hochevar, Dunn, Zimmermann, Luebke, Goldshmidt, Cahill, Scherzer, Matusz
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby aardvarks » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:55 pm

kab21 wrote:The cafe has been unusually quiet this year so here are 11 questions to get everyone talking. And keeping with my standard thread starting practice (cheering and venting thread) I'm including a photo that I've taken recently to kick the thread off.

Lover's Gorge Waterfall and myself - Taiwan

My website - The World Is Not That Big

1) Is Albert Pujols still the #1 pick? Does he fall in your rankings due to last year’s stats, age, injury, the move to the AL or other players improving? No, Kemp

2) Who is the second shortstop drafted? Hanley Ramirez and Jose Reyes? Hanley

3) How early do you take Stephen Strasburg? Matt Moore? Yu Darvish? I think all 3 go between 75-100 (with the possible exception of Darvis, later, if he struggles in spring training)

4) Is Mike Napoli the #1 catcher? Victor Martinez? Brian McCann? Carlos Santana? Do you take any of them in the top 50? no, my #1 is Santana (guaranteed 550 AB's if healthy)

5) Is Roy Halladay the #1 starting pitcher? Justin Verlander? Clayton Kershaw? Other? truthfully it's a coin flip between Doc and Kershaw but, these guys are all go to early for me.

6) How far does Ryan Braun fall in roto leagues? H2H leagues? late 3rd early 4th in both

7) Which injured/declining third basemen rebounds to last season’s draft spot? Alex Rodriguez, Kevin Youkilis, Ryan Zimmerman or David Wright? none of the above D Wright has the best year but its not late 1st rd good.

8) Do you draft Aramis Ramirez over any of the previously mentioned third basemen? no

9) Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Jayson Werth, Kendrys Morales (0 AB’s), Adam Dunn and Alex Rios were awful in 2011. Which one(s) do you take a chance on this year? in my league we have some pretty deep benches and large rosters, I wouldn't completely pass on any of these guys, if they fall far enough, But Morneau would have to be rd 25 or later

10) Whose hype are you buying? Brett Lawrie, Eric Hosmer or Desmond Jennings? Brett Lawrie, he'll be cheaper than the other 2 and he'll put up the best #'s.

I haven't done a ton of research yet but:

Jason Kubel in Ariz, Peter Bourjos, Drew Pomeranz, John Mayberry there will be others.

just scratched the surfice so far
aardvarks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 87)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:42 pm

Had Braun not been suspended, I would have taken him at #1. Right now, I'm taking Miggy over Pujols. In very deep leagues (16+ teams), I would be tempted to take Tulo 1st overall due to position scarcity. SS looks very thin again, plus Tulo is now the stand alone best SS.

For me, Hanley. But in all honesty, if I don't get Tulo, I am not going to take either of these guys unless they fall to the 3rd/4th round in a standard 12 team. Let someone else gamble on them.

Tough one. I would take Strasburg in the 6th round (picks 61-72) maybe? Bump him a round higher in H2H, where he probably won't pitch in your playoffs. Moore I would take with a 9th round pick (maybe pick 100 or so?). I will not be selecting Darvish this year.

I like Santana as the top catcher for 2012. More so in keeper/dynasty leagues. I would feel comfortable using a 5th round pick on him in a standard or deeper league.

It all comes down to who wins more games. Halladay is certainly the #1 guy, but it wouldn't shock me to see better seasons from Verlander, Kershaw, Greinke, CC, or King Felix. I'm personally going for Greinke. His K/9 is filthy.

No clue... 4th round roto and 3rd round H2H maybe?

I like David Wright's chances the most. Zimmerman is my second choice. Youkilis is too injury prone. Arod's age is finally starting to show.

I think Aramis provides better value than the guys mentioned above. He probably falls below all of them in the draft and could post similar numbers with less risk involved.

Morales. Hopefully some time at DH will help him stay on the field. Mauer will go too high for my likings. I have limited faith in the others, especially Dunn, whose 2011 performance I am still trying to justify. If Morneau starts off hot, I shop him right away.

Lawrie, Hosmer, and Jennings in that order.

I would rather not say ;-)
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:05 pm

I think too much gets made of the #1 pick. The name of the game in the first couple rounds is avoiding risk. What's the old saying? "You can't win your league in the first (X) rounds, but you can lose it?" Miguel Cabrera is the definition of consistent, that's who I'd take. Before the whole Braun kerfluffle it would have been him. Pujols does have declining numbers. Otherworldly down to excellent isn't really that big a deal, but it's enough to bump him down to 2.

It'll be Hanely, but I won't be taking either one. They have have big injury question marks and like I said, I'm risk-averse in the first few rounds. SS is actually a very interesting question this year. I usually identify someone I can pick up in the mid/late rounds. Last year it was Starlin Castro and JJ Hardy. This year it'll probably be Hardy again. I'm amazed that he's going after pick 150. The guy hit 30 HR last year. From the SS spot.

In a redraft someone will take Moore and Darvish long before I'll jump. Strasburg I might have to pounce on in one league or another - and if you want him, it'll have to be around pick 60-70, earlier if you want to be sure. But I might grab him in at least one league just for the sheer fun of it. Owning a player makes him that much more fun to watch, and watching a Strasburg start is already so fun that owning him might push the experience into some kind of cosmic, orgasmic event.

I'd take McCann overall, maybe VMart because of the extra AB. In an OBP league I'd jump all over Santana. However I won't be touching C until late rounds this year. There's so much depth at a usually dry spot, it's crazy. Everywhere you look there are sneaky good options. I'd be all over Wieters this year but the "post-hype sleeper" tag might push him too high for me. But there are plenty of other options. Mauer should be pretty cheap. Mesoraco is worth a look. Lavarnway, Arencibia, Rosario... the list goes on.

An academic question, as I'll eat dirt before I take a pitcher in the first three rounds. It's Halladay, though. I do have Kershaw in a dynasty league, however.... and let me tell you, the endowment effect is kind of scary. I know it exists, and still... Kershaw is so good and so young that it would take an obscenely lopsided trade for me to move him.

Very good question. I think we need to wait and see, get some more information. When Reyes, Utley and A-Rod had their issues (injuries, that is), it was kind of the same. The information came out during the offseason and they fell... hmm.. 3rd round, 4th round-ish. That sounds about right.

I think David Wright will be a solid pick this year. You should be able to get him at the end of the 2nd round, and I wouldn't hesitate to take him there. Drafting 1st overall, you could go MCab 1, Wright, 24. Kinsler 25. That would be a fine start to a team.

Youk, but only because I'm biased. I just do not want to own him again.

I don't want a part of Morneau, Werth, Dunn, or Morales. If I could get Dunn really, really late, maybe. But I owned him in too many leagues last year. It leaves a bad impression, you know? Rios I like for a nice bounceback season. I'd trust him to be a decent 3rd OF in a 14 team league. Mauer... tough to tell. Depends on where you can get him. He can really, really hit. I have a good feeling about him this year. (I know, very scientific). A healthy Mauer gives you such a competitive advantage in Runs/RBI... it's hard to ignore the upside there.

All of them, to a certain extent. Hosmer will mostly likely put up the best numbers, but he's going in the 3rd round. In a redraft, I'm not sure about that. I might need to see it for another season. I would MUCH rather take someone like Mike Stanton with an early 3rd round pick. Jennings should score plenty of runs and steal a bushel of bases, but I think people are overestimating his power potential. He'll probably go too early for me. Lawrie is 3B eligible and that seals the deal for me. If I was going to take a big risk on someone, I'd take it on Lawrie. He didn't come out of nowhere. His minor league credentials look very, very good.

I like Ike Davis a lot, though in some leagues he might go before pick 150. If I can get him right around there, I'll be happy. A great 1B choice if you miss one of the super-elite ones. JJ Hardy will probably end up on a lot of my teams. I will probably be the guy who foolishly gambles on Brandon Morrow again. Soft spot. Also, Cory Lubeke. Shhh. You can get him way late. I don't want to make a wild prediction, but he's got the potential to be one of those guys you take late that ends up carrying your team.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 48)

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:13 pm

1) Is Albert Pujols still the #1 pick? Does he fall in your rankings due to last year’s stats, age, injury, the move to the AL or other players improving?--Yes, I will still be taking Pujols #1

2) Who is the second shortstop drafted? Hanley Ramirez and Jose Reyes?--Reyes for me, but I imagine I will just be waiting on SS and grabbing a Desmond or Aybar type.

3) How early do you take Stephen Strasburg? Matt Moore? Yu Darvish? Round 12 or so for all 3 as of right now, so I imagine I don't get any of them this year.

4) Is Mike Napoli the #1 catcher? Victor Martinez? Brian McCann? Carlos Santana? Do you take any of them in the top 50? VMart #1 for me, but I don't usually take catchers in the top 75 or so.

5) Is Roy Halladay the #1 starting pitcher? Justin Verlander? Clayton Kershaw? Other? Halladay is still #1

6) How far does Ryan Braun fall in roto leagues? H2H leagues? With him missing almost 1/3 of the season, I can't see me jumping on Braun before Round 6.

7) Which injured/declining third basemen rebounds to last season’s draft spot? Alex Rodriguez, Kevin Youkilis, Ryan Zimmerman or David Wright? Zimmerman possibly. Wright doesn't make it back to First Round material

8) Do you draft Aramis Ramirez over any of the previously mentioned third basemen? No

9) Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Jayson Werth, Kendrys Morales (0 AB’s), Adam Dunn and Alex Rios were awful in 2011. Which one(s) do you take a chance on this year? Dunn and Morales if they late enough.

10) Whose hype are you buying? Brett Lawrie, Eric Hosmer or Desmond Jennings? Lawrie for me.

11) Who are your top sleepers? (projected pick #150 or later) Ike Davis, Goldschmidt, Logan Morrison, Edison Volquez
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ayebatter » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:27 am

I still have Albert as #1
Hanley
I have Strasburg as the #16 arm right now - I'll pass on the other 2
Napoli is #1 for this season
Give me Kershaw
Someone will take him in the 2nd
Zimmerman/Wright have the best shot
Nope
Kendry if he starts the season healthy
I'm not buying
Can't say 'till my current Cafe auction is over ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1374)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers