2012 BBWAA Hall of Fame Ballot - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 BBWAA Hall of Fame Ballot

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2012 BBWAA Hall of Fame Ballot

Postby kab21 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:07 am

If you could champion only one of the current on the ballot guys for the HOF who would it be?

Mine would be Bagwell. Edgar was very good but a notch below.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ensanimal » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:34 am

kab21 wrote:If you could champion only one of the current on the ballot guys for the HOF who would it be?

Mine would be Bagwell. Edgar was very good but a notch below.

Raines. Might be partial homerism though. Bagwell deserves it as well.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:08 pm

Bagwell is the one that sticks out as being inexplicable. And Lee Smith getting over 50% of the vote is also ridiculous. I heard yesterday that only one guy has ever had more than 50% of the vote and not eventually gotten in. The only relief pitcher that should be in the hall of fame is Mariano Rivera. If they want to let more of them in then to me it's akin to letting in the place kickers to the NFL hall of fame. And saves shouldn't be the first thing they look at, just like extra points shouldn't be the criteria for an NFL kicker.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 139)

Postby jfg » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:18 pm

I don't know how I managed to post in this thread instead of the other one...

Yeah, Griffey and Maddux will get in.Randy Johnson and Frank Thomas as well. I can see the latter two having to wait at least one turn though because enough voters will choose to bypass the era. I just think anybody who isn't a top tier HOFer will have a tough time getting in because of the era.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:29 pm

jfg wrote:I don't know how I managed to post in this thread instead of the other one...

Yeah, Griffey and Maddux will get in.Randy Johnson and Frank Thomas as well. I can see the latter two having to wait at least one turn though because enough voters will choose to bypass the era. I just think anybody who isn't a top tier HOFer will have a tough time getting in because of the era.

I'd be shocked if The Big Unit didn't get in first blush. He is definitely a top tier candidate. He has the shiny stats: 300+ Wins, 5 Cy Youngs, 2nd all time in Ks by leading the league in 9 separate seasons. He led the league in ERA+ 6 times and ERA 4 times. He had a great peak and is one of the top 3 LHPs of all time.

Thomas might have problems due to being a DH, but his slash line of .301/.419/.555 is silly. I would hope he would get right in..
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby jfg » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:23 pm

I'd hope so too, but I don't have much faith in the voters. I'm not saying it will happen, I'm saying I could see it happening.

Here are the elite, cream of the crop players from that era (overlapping into the current)

Alex Rodriguez
Barry Bonds
Derek Jeter
Ken Griffey Jr.
Ivan Rodriguez
Manny Ramirez
Vlad Guerrero
Mike Piazza
Ichiro
Sammy Sosa
Frank Thomas
Chipper Jones
Roger Clemens
Randy Johnson
Greg Maddux
Mariano Rivera
Pedro Martinez

Out of these 17, I count 7 (correct me if I 'm wrong) that have either shown up on a list or had some steroid rumors around their name. There's probably a handful of guys outside this list that get in based on career accolades like Hoffman and Thome. I have a big problem with only 15 guys representing the era I grew up with.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Tavish » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:00 pm

jfg wrote:I have a big problem with only 15 guys representing the era I grew up with.

That would probably be pretty close to the amount put in by most other eras, if not slightly more.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby jfg » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:56 pm

Really? If that is the case, maybe my thinking on who should get in to the Hall has been way off. It feels like the early years of baseball are heavily represented along with the 40's-60's but I haven't looked at the actual numbers.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Tavish » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:22 pm

jfg wrote:Really? If that is the case, maybe my thinking on who should get in to the Hall has been way off. It feels like the early years of baseball are heavily represented along with the 40's-60's but I haven't looked at the actual numbers.

It would probably depend on what you consider to be an "era" if you want to dissect how highly a specific segment is represented. One thing most HoFers have in common is an extended career so it makes it pretty tough to classify them. Another thing to consider is that the older generations have not only had the BWAA elect the players that easily qualified, they also have had the Veteran's Committee add in several of the borderline or below players.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers