2012 BBWAA Hall of Fame Ballot - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 BBWAA Hall of Fame Ballot

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2012 BBWAA Hall of Fame Ballot

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:28 pm

Bagwell
Larkin
McGwire
Raines
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Surfs up » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:29 pm

jfg wrote:Jeff Bagwell
Rafael Palmeiro
Edgar Martinez
Larry Walker
Mark McGwire
Don Mattingly
Rafael Palmeiro
Bernie Williams
Barry Larkin
Jack Morris

I think this is as good of a year as any to just bite the bullet and put all of the controversial candidates in the Hall. There isn't anybody this year who needs their own stage, so get the juicers, the DH and the Coors guy in there all at once and get the media circus out of the way in one year to put a rest to that chapter. Don Mattingly needs to get in this year. He's not even a borderline candidate like a Juan Gonzalez, he's a legitimate HOFer who was one of the biggest stars in the 80's. Larkin is borderline but I'd vote for him.

So does that mean Pete Rose gets in? I am one that thinks he should be allowed in.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 194)

Postby jfg » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:16 pm

I'd agree, but it's more complicated since he was banned and he'd also need to be voted in by the vet committee.

I would think that if voters are smart and truly care about the game, they'd close a chapter of the game by getting most of the guys associated in this year. You'd still have Bonds and Sosa, but why not open the can of worms now, because there's no way that Bonds is going to be kept out. And once he's in then we will have to keep revisiting this year after year all the way up to A-Rod. Do the voters really want to keep revisiting this for the next decade? This is the year they need to make their choice and in my opinion you have to open the can of worms.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby thedude » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:54 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
jfg wrote:
Tavish wrote:After Mattingly goes in can we start a Chet Lemon or Jesse Barfield for the Hall campaign? They both are as deserving.

Really? Both of those guys were never the face of their game, heck, barely the face of their team. Barfield might have put up some homeruns for a stretch there but his average peaked around .290 and was a career .256 hitter. Lemon never put up a great season, 10-20 homeruns pretty much through his entire career and middle of the road average. Other than Barfield's one great year, Mattingly was better those guys in his "only good" years. That's not even counting defense.
If Mattingly played for any other team but the Yankees nobody would even think twice. He wasn't even the best 1B in his city during his career.

Mattingly only got recognition because he played for the Yankees at a time when the Yankees did not have many good players.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:39 pm

Surfs up wrote:So does that mean Pete Rose gets in? I am one that thinks he should be allowed in.

Pete Rose actually broke the rules. One of baseball's most important rules at that. I don't see how letting in steroid users means that Pete Rose should get in.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:40 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Bagwell
Larkin
McGwire
Raines

Looks good.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby thedude » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:11 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Surfs up wrote:So does that mean Pete Rose gets in? I am one that thinks he should be allowed in.

Pete Rose actually broke the rules. One of baseball's most important rules at that. I don't see how letting in steroid users means that Pete Rose should get in.

Whatever happens with the steroid users, Pete Rose should never be allowed into the hall of fame.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:58 pm

thedude wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:

Whatever happens with the steroid users, Pete Rose should never be allowed into the hall of fame.

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree. I think there's absolutely no doubt that Pete Rose should be IN the HOF. he has the most hits in the history of baseball, a record that will NEVER be broken. out of every player that has ever played major league baseball, Pete Rose has more hits than all of them. Ruth, Cobb, Williams, Mantle, ect, ect.. none of them have more hits than the hit king Pete Rose.

now yes he did break a rule, and that should not be forgotten. but the man should still be in the HOF. he IS one of the greatest players of all time.
I don't know what they could do, maybe a write up on his plaque to let people know that he broke the rules. but IMO to deny him the HOF is just wrong.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby thedude » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:18 am

SpecialFNK wrote:
thedude wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree. I think there's absolutely no doubt that Pete Rose should be IN the HOF. he has the most hits in the history of baseball, a record that will NEVER be broken. out of every player that has ever played major league baseball, Pete Rose has more hits than all of them. Ruth, Cobb, Williams, Mantle, ect, ect.. none of them have more hits than the hit king Pete Rose.

now yes he did break a rule, and that should not be forgotten. but the man should still be in the HOF. he IS one of the greatest players of all time.
I don't know what they could do, maybe a write up on his plaque to let people know that he broke the rules. but IMO to deny him the HOF is just wrong.

He did not just break a rule. He broke THE rule. The rules about betting on baseball are strict for very good reasons. Baseball players need to be like Caesar's wife.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby A man in a box » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:23 pm

There we go. Thanks
A man in a box
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor