The Next Big Thing? Xander Bogaerts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

The Next Big Thing? Xander Bogaerts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Next Big Thing? Xander Bogaerts

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:34 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
bigken117 wrote:of the top prospects lists I've seen for the Sox so far, Bogaerts tops them all. He is no secret anymore.

ok, he's #3 on soxprospects.com list.

Nobody would have thought that coming last year, which featured a very strong Sox system, possibly the strongest since Lester/Papelbon graduated. Bogaerts didn't even have that great of a year. Unfortunately the top guys either got traded(Rizzo), graduated(Reddick), got hurt(Kalish) or underwhelmed considerably(Iglesias). I'm not sure if it was Red Sox hype or not, but last year's Red Sox farm has to be one of the more disappointing systems out of the 30 teams. The Royals were close, but at least Hosmer did well.

Not to hijack but I never understood why Iglesias was/is so hyped. Glove first, no bat SS sounds like Jack Wilson to me.

Well to excuse whoever made last year's list and gave Jose a good grade. All we had going on last year was half a season of AA at 21 where he hit .285/.315/.357 (albeit .360 BABIP). Still not very good numbers, but quite good for a 21 years old good defensive SS with "tools". He's one of the few SS prospects who genuinely has a chance to stick there.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:16 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:Is his ceiling sky high? Yes

Is he terribly flawed now? Also yes.

If he wasn't flawed he would be a top ten overall prospect. Flaws: K rate, defense although 3B is likely and limited full season experience. But he's also 18 and there are very few 18 yr olds in full season ball to begin with.

If you're picking him in your dynasty league then you should expect boom or bust. And that is the type of prospect I loaded my system with. bogaerts might bust but others could be stars.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:13 am

kab21 wrote:If you're picking him in your dynasty league then you should expect boom or bust. And that is the type of prospect I loaded my system with. bogaerts might bust but others could be stars.

That approach works in certain league and not others.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kab21 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:12 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
kab21 wrote:If you're picking him in your dynasty league then you should expect boom or bust. And that is the type of prospect I loaded my system with. bogaerts might bust but others could be stars.

He has a lot of upside and a lot of downside. Anyone picking him should know that. I'm okay with it and I'm guessing that I'm in the type of league you don't think it works in. Stars win fantasy baseball. Even in deep leagues you can find avg players.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:15 pm

kab21 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

He has a lot of upside and a lot of downside. Anyone picking him should know that. I'm okay with it and I'm guessing that I'm in the type of league you don't think it works in. Stars win fantasy baseball. Even in deep leagues you can find avg players.

I think it doesn't work that well for my league, but that's still subjective. Stars don't win 28 teams leagues. Having a solid foundation does.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kab21 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:27 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
I think it doesn't work that well for my league, but that's still subjective. Stars don't win 28 teams leagues. Having a solid foundation does.

I'm in a 24 tm league but I've also built a solid foundation. I load my minors up with high upside guys in the low minors before/as they breakout. I might trade Bogaerts if someone values him as a top25 prospect right now (some sites have him that high) but I'm content with waiting since I have enough guys that a few of them will work out.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:54 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
bigken117 wrote:of the top prospects lists I've seen for the Sox so far, Bogaerts tops them all. He is no secret anymore.

ok, he's #3 on soxprospects.com list.

Nobody would have thought that coming last year, which featured a very strong Sox system, possibly the strongest since Lester/Papelbon graduated. Bogaerts didn't even have that great of a year. Unfortunately the top guys either got traded(Rizzo), graduated(Reddick), got hurt(Kalish) or underwhelmed considerably(Iglesias). I'm not sure if it was Red Sox hype or not, but last year's Red Sox farm has to be one of the more disappointing systems out of the 30 teams. The Royals were close, but at least Hosmer did well.

Not to hijack but I never understood why Iglesias was/is so hyped. Glove first, no bat SS sounds like Jack Wilson to me.

Being a Cardinals fan you got the pleasure of watching Ozzie Smith for years. That was seen as the ceiling for Iglesias.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby thedude » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:56 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:Is his ceiling sky high? Yes

Is he terribly flawed now? Also yes.

He is 18. Few teenagers aren't flawed. That's why Bryce Harper is a generational talent.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:30 am

thedude wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

Being a Cardinals fan you got the pleasure of watching Ozzie Smith for years. That was seen as the ceiling for Iglesias.

Call me a homer if you want but Ozzie Smith was the best defensive SS ever. If that is truely his ceiling then he should be ranked even higher. Chances are it is more hype.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby thedude » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:13 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
thedude wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Not to hijack but I never understood why Iglesias was/is so hyped. Glove first, no bat SS sounds like Jack Wilson to me.

Call me a homer if you want but Ozzie Smith was the best defensive SS ever. If that is truely his ceiling then he should be ranked even higher. Chances are it is more hype.

Scouts rated him as 80 defensively. He has the potential to be the best defensive short stop in the majors, may be not in history, but at least currently.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball