Best site to host a league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Best site to host a league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best site to host a league?

Postby neoforce » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:55 am

My league is thinking of leaving cbssports.com and was wondering what type of experience people have with other sites. Some details on features we are looking for:

• Track Salaries and contracts
  • track future draft picks and allowing those picks to be traded using the native trade tools.
  • smooth blind FAAB system
  • Efficient user interface
  • history of previous seasons
  • good mobile support

CBS met our needs for a long while. The big problem has always been the way they process FAAB. As commish, I found I struggled every week to execute conditional bids based on our roster requirements. Hard to explain the quirks, but even if they had something simple like allowing an owner to enter a comment when they enter a bid I would be ok.

The mobile support on cbs stinks, but the tipping point now is the user interface. It used to be ok, but last year's "upgrade" made it really bad.

Here are other sites i know about:
  • ESPN/Yahoo: Free but don't do salaryies/contracts
  • CBS ($150, problems mentioned above)
  • fanstar.com ($89)
  • onroto.com ($99 or $139 for no banner ads)
  • fantrax.com ($59)

I really don't know anything about the last three. Any thoughts on these or other sites would be appreciated.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best site to host a league?

Postby converge241 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:25 am

We use onroto for a complicated long time league and I like it BUT I cant vouch personally for every feature you mention they do a lot of quirky things our commish needs though - so a soft recomendation to further pursue them.

A lot of people have raved about fantrax but I have no personal experience, hopefully folks chime in for you.

One other thing I would float, what about using a free Yahoo and a free (or cheap) Message Board to work in tandem with? The downside is two sites but the upside is maybe some league fees savings? Not ideal I know but.. I run a keeper league with a seperate minor league roster that yahoo/espn wont support but to avoid the fees of a CBS I just make "ghost teams" to house the minor leaguers off the wire with maintenence down on the sites message board. Not 100% ideal but its a working tradeoff.

Good luck though I know how much of a pain it can be when you have some unique rules/etc and need that site support.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 124)

Postby neoforce » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:13 pm

converge241 wrote:We use onroto for a complicated long time league and I like it BUT I cant vouch personally for every feature you mention they do a lot of quirky things our commish needs though - so a soft recomendation to further pursue them.

A lot of people have raved about fantrax but I have no personal experience, hopefully folks chime in for you.

One other thing I would float, what about using a free Yahoo and a free (or cheap) Message Board to work in tandem with? The downside is two sites but the upside is maybe some league fees savings? Not ideal I know but.. I run a keeper league with a seperate minor league roster that yahoo/espn wont support but to avoid the fees of a CBS I just make "ghost teams" to house the minor leaguers off the wire with maintenence down on the sites message board. Not 100% ideal but its a working tradeoff.

Good luck though I know how much of a pain it can be when you have some unique rules/etc and need that site support.

thanks for the advice. The fee is not the issue, the issue is the ease of use for the commish...Me! For example, the problem with separate Minor Leaguers is then trades have to be a combo of the league site and the other site. And if doesn't track salaries contracts, you have to figure salary caps separately. etc, etc.

So, I don't mind paying.

onroto is intriguing to me. They are the original guys from TQStats and we were there before that was sold and destroyed. They seem to have the right idea to cater to more complicated leagues.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby converge241 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:03 pm

We LOVED TQStats!!!
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 124)

Postby TopChuckie » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:50 pm

neoforce wrote:My league is thinking of leaving cbssports.com and was wondering what type of experience people have with other sites. Some details on features we are looking for:

• Track Salaries and contracts
  • track future draft picks and allowing those picks to be traded using the native trade tools.
  • smooth blind FAAB system
  • Efficient user interface
  • history of previous seasons
  • good mobile support

CBS met our needs for a long while. The big problem has always been the way they process FAAB. As commish, I found I struggled every week to execute conditional bids based on our roster requirements. Hard to explain the quirks, but even if they had something simple like allowing an owner to enter a comment when they enter a bid I would be ok.

The mobile support on cbs stinks, but the tipping point now is the user interface. It used to be ok, but last year's "upgrade" made it really bad.

Here are other sites i know about:
  • ESPN/Yahoo: Free but don't do salaryies/contracts
  • CBS ($150, problems mentioned above)
  • fanstar.com ($89)
  • onroto.com ($99 or $139 for no banner ads)
  • fantrax.com ($59)

I really don't know anything about the last three. Any thoughts on these or other sites would be appreciated.

I use CBS and have the same FAAB issues you do, as touched on in this thread viewtopic.php?t=437286.

I can tell you OnRoto's FAAB system is far better than CBS's and should work for all but the most complex contingencies. BUT, that is about the only thing I like better at OnRoto and so I have stayed with CBS and suffered through our laborious manual FAAB process. IF ONLY CBS would steal/incorporate OnRoto's FAAB programming.

I plan on researching Fantrax as an option for 2012, but I was under the impression it is free?
TopChuckie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby neoforce » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:54 pm

TopChuckie wrote:

I use CBS and have the same FAAB issues you do, as touched on in this thread viewtopic.php?t=437286.

I can tell you OnRoto's FAAB system is far better than CBS's and should work for all but the most complex contingencies. BUT, that is about the only thing I like better at OnRoto and so I have stayed with CBS and suffered through our laborious manual FAAB process. IF ONLY CBS would steal/incorporate OnRoto's FAAB programming.

I plan on researching Fantrax as an option for 2012, but I was under the impression it is free?

Thanks for the info, I checked out the other thread. Found another option refereed to in that thread, allstarstats.com. Guess i need to add that to my list.

Can you tell me examples of what you think cbssports.com does better than onroto? Just curious so i know what I should be looking for.
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby TopChuckie » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:17 am

neoforce wrote:Thanks for the info, I checked out the other thread. Found another option refereed to in that thread, allstarstats.com. Guess i need to add that to my list.

Can you tell me examples of what you think cbssports.com does better than onroto? Just curious so i know what I should be looking for.

First off, I think All-Star Stats is a good bit more expensive than the rest. They've been around since the pre-internet days when everything was done by mail and unless they've lowered their prices to be more competitive, they were over $100 per team. They've always been well regarded but cast prohibitive as far as I'm concerned. Just never THAT much better than CBS.

As far as CBS versus OnRoto, it mostly all comes down to appearance and bells and whistles. OnRoto will do everything you need and do some things better than CBS, namely FAAB, but CBS just looks a lot better and is easier and more intuitive to navigate, more modern and professional feeling.
TopChuckie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby bigmck » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:16 am

The thread here mainly is about Onroto having a better FAAB than CBS. I like CBS but as some have said the FAAB is lacking in Priority Picks. How does Onroto handle the Priority Picks better than CBS? Does it give you an option to eliminate Pick Two if Pick One is made?
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Postby neoforce » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:00 am

bigmck wrote:The thread here mainly is about Onroto having a better FAAB than CBS. I like CBS but as some have said the FAAB is lacking in Priority Picks. How does Onroto handle the Priority Picks better than CBS? Does it give you an option to eliminate Pick Two if Pick One is made?

I've been playing around at onroto.com. go to their page, click on "sample league" then on the left side find the "team pages" section, then hover on Make Transactions, and then click "place bid-meister bids" and you can see for yourself. Since it is a sample league, there are some things that aren't clear, but from playing with it, their method of entering bids seems pretty good. Not sure if does every possibility. One of the issues since it is a sample league, and its the off season (in terms of players on the DL or in the minors) that there are some things that are hard to test.

You can also see previous weeks results, which I do think are displayed pretty clunky. Go to "League Pages" "Transaction Logs" "View Bid Meister Results" Again, it is a sample league, and it seems the data is old and has errors. I would recommend looking at the results from 4.28 to see what it might look like. I do find this page clunky, and I wish they listed the bids by MLB player in addition to by fantasy league team. But the data is all there and I'm sure you get used to it. On cbssports.com, I have to manually track all of the bids to post to the league (CBS only shows winning bids). with onroto.com, it will do all of that for me.

I'm getting pretty sold that onroto.com looks good. And they seem very responsive to change, with lots of options that were put in for individual leagues. Interesting that in this thread TopChuckie said:

As far as CBS versus OnRoto, it mostly all comes down to appearance and bells and whistles. OnRoto will do everything you need and do some things better than CBS, namely FAAB, but CBS just looks a lot better and is easier and more intuitive to navigate, more modern and professional feeling.

So, while he saw the look and feel of cbs as a plus, I don't. I'm very fed up with cbs and don't think it looks better or is more intuitive to navigate. I have all sorts of problems with the cbs design. So as I said, so far, onroto is looking pretty good to me.
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby mkultra » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:15 pm

I agree 100% on CBS's "usability". It's the least appealing aspect of their site vs. Yahoo and ESPN.

OnRoto is definitely interesting, though wading through the options seems daunting. Do they support complicated salary/waiver scenarios where a dropped player keeps his contract for one run through waivers/FAAB and then reverts to the league default?
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 52)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner