Fielding Stats - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Fielding Stats

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fielding Stats

Postby GRIN » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I configure my fantasy leagues based on being as realistic as possible. So I'm trying to incorporate fielding stats as scoring categories in my Yahoo head-to-head leagues.

I'm looking to balance fielding percentage and range factor in some combination. Do any of you have any suggestions on how best to do that? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
20 team baseball H2H keeper league
14 team basketball H2H keeper league (looking for expansion teams)
20 team hockey H2H keeper league
MLB Beat the Streak
ESPN Streak for the Cash
GRIN
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Fielding Stats

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:27 pm

I'm not aware of any fantasy sites that let you use advanced defensive metrics as a scoring category. I'm only familiar with the major sites, though. Personally I can't see using Fielding% as a scoring stat - it's far too random, and from what I've read it's not a very good measure of defensive proficiency, either.

To me, if you used Errors as a negative hitting cat, it would be just as bad as using CG as a pitching stat. It's just too random.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby Curtis Pride » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:11 pm

Fangraphs has their own fantasy league (Ottenau or something like that). I haven't played it or really even researched it much, but it seems to tie to WAR/UZR et al
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby JonC0226 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:08 pm

I've used errors before as a negative hitting stat. Decided to get rid of it after that year.

I have also used double-play, but it is the worst stat I have ever experimented with. Clearly, first basemen are going to get a point for every double-play turned.

Outside of those two my experience is limited. I'd probably stay away from fielding stats, if for no other reason any DH on a roster is going to have obvious advantages/disadvantages.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby
JonC0226
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:14 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:Fangraphs has their own fantasy league (Ottenau or something like that). I haven't played it or really even researched it much, but it seems to tie to WAR/UZR et al

This would probably be your best bet based on what you're looking for.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Return to Commissioner's Corner