100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Darvish deal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Darvish deal

Postby BoBtheMule » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:49 am

in a 16 team pts league
12 major keepers, 8 minors

Just dealt LoMo, Storen, Gavin Floyd, Jacob Marisnick and Alex Meyer for the first overall pick in the draft this spring with the intention of drafting Darvish. We tried to make the deal before the results of the posting was announced.

None of those guys were on our keeper list but we could have sold them off seperately and gotten more picks.

Think this was a good gamble? What's the opinion on Darvish out there?

BoB
BoBtheMule
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Darvish deal

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:39 am

He's definitely a risk. The knee-jerk reaction is to compare him to Dice-K, but Darvish is a different pitcher, both physically and statistically. For one thing, Darvish had three straight seasons in a row that were better than any one that Dice-K put up. He's also physically bigger and throws harder, and he's a year younger than Dice-K was when he was posted.

Projections for him vary. Historically, extrapolating MLB success from NPB stats has been a bit of a mixed bag. Certainly, if he comes over he'll be the most talented NPB pitcher we've seen. The most aggressive projections on him will call him a #1 starter - Verlander-caliber, even. But that's a very aggressive projection.

It matters where he ends up, too. Smart money is on the Rangers, Yankees, or Blue Jays. If he lands in the AL East, he's going to get a trial by fire. There's also the possibility that he doesn't come over at all. Just because he posted doesn't mean he'll sign a contract.

So you're taking a bit of a gamble here. Especially considering the depth of the 2011 draft class, starting pitching in particular. With even a low pick in the first round you could land, say, Dylan Bundy or James Paxton, players who are further away but with very high upsides as well.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby Mateo de Lorenzo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:09 am

BoBtheMule wrote:in a 16 team pts league
12 major keepers, 8 minors

Just dealt LoMo, Storen, Gavin Floyd, Jacob Marisnick and Alex Meyer for the first overall pick in the draft this spring with the intention of drafting Darvish. We tried to make the deal before the results of the posting was announced.

None of those guys were on our keeper list but we could have sold them off seperately and gotten more picks.

Think this was a good gamble? What's the opinion on Darvish out there?

BoB

Has Darvish even been posted yet? I know Aoki was but haven;t heard of Darvish being posted.
Please help me with analyzing my team? viewtopic.php?f=29&t=433592
Mateo de Lorenzo Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:18 am

Yes, Darvish has been posted.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby MaudDib » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:03 am

Since you didn't trade anything that you were planning yo keep, then I think this was a good deal. Taking Darvish is a high risk high reward and you should have time to hear how he does during spring training before you decide. Right nos with no other info, I think I would take Darvish.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 301)

Postby thedude » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:36 pm

lane_anasazi2 wrote: He's also physically bigger and throws harder, and he's a year younger than Dice-K was when he was posted.

Dice-K threw harder than Darvish (he touched 100 MPH when he was younger), and while Darvish is taller, Matsuzaka is more solidly built.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:58 pm

Tough to say whether or not to gamble on Darvish. Who else is available? Any good, established players?

Though it is probably still a good deal anyways, as already posted-

MaudDib wrote:Since you didn't trade anything that you were planning to keep, then I think this was a good deal.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:47 pm

Solid deal for the first overall pick. Even if Darvish doesn't sign in the next 30 days, I imagine there is someone available at pick #1 that is still worth grabbing.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ensanimal » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:40 pm

A bit of a gamble, but 1 that may be pay off. Since it seems like you weren't keeping any of them anyways, might as well get the #1 pick instead of a bunch of lower choices.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby Brainstorm » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:05 pm

I like getting the #1 pick for guys you had no intention of keeping, but is Darvish the #1 guy available? I would review all your options before proceeding on him.

I don't trust Japanese starters as a whole. Dice-K was alright for a short period of time, but besides that most Japanese starters don't work out long-term when they are posted and come over.
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 240)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions