Yahoo Draft Questions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Yahoo Draft Questions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yahoo Draft Questions

Postby pjalst » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:57 am

Mateo de Lorenzo wrote:Thank you for your input. Here is a follow up question. What is the ramifications of a manager not getting his pick done quick enough? If the limit is 24 hours and they don't make their pick, what should the penalty or next move be so it allows the draft to move forward?

If there is a time limit to make your pick and you fail to make your selection, the missed pick is your penalty. After the time limit expires, The next person in line can make their pick. The skipped person should be able to make up his pick at any time after the time limit expires. Missing out on a higher ranked player should be penalty enough, there should be no other punishment. If you want to speed up your selection process, reduce your time limit.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 67)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigmck » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:37 pm

They get skipped and would be next in line to make a pick.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby oscar15 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:26 pm

Will Couch Managers not work? I did not read every post but we use Yahoo for our league and "Slow Draft" on Couch Managers. Set a few ground rules and we have had no (few) complaints.

peace
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 21)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:35 pm

We (Yahoo) do not have any option where a live draft won't autopick for you if your time expires. We do now let you configure the draft time per-pick, but within limitations; you can choose any increment of 15 seconds between 15 seconds and 2 minutes per pick.

Before Yahoo's tools matured enough to allow me to run my keeper league draft within Yahoo! as a live draft, my league used to do what amounted to an offline slow draft. I'd agree the obvious penalty for not picking is just that the draft moves on without you. You can always pick when you do show up, but you may have missed out on players you wanted. The other thing we did that I haven't seen mentioned here was that each pick was scheduled. So I knew, "Today it is my responsibility to make a pick between 10:30 and 10:45am, then again between 2:45 and 3:00pm, and again between 4:00 and 4:15pm" The scheduled slots for the draft started at a fixed time in the morning and ended at a fixed time in the evening, chosen to be mutually agreeable to people in all time zones. If someone picked at the very beginning of their time slot, the next pick was under no obligation to suddenly pick. In fact, they weren't allowed to. That way everyone could plan ahead to pick when they were scheduled to. We also shortened the slots per pick in later rounds. I was willing to give people 15 or 30 minutes for their most important picks, but we shortened to 5 or 10 minutes for the late/random picks.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mateo de Lorenzo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:30 pm

Thank you for the information. Our draft is now complete, save for a few remaining MiLB rounds, which is going smooth. Definitely a lot smoother then I envisioned. We considered assigning time slots, but decided to just go ahead with it and give a 24 hour period to make ones pick. Only once did we have someone take more then 12 hours, and he lives in France so the time difference presented an issue more so then the manager.

I guess I can use this as a segway to my next question, as you seem to be knowledgable on the subject of Yahoo. Now that the slow draft is complete, how do I transfer the selected players to their respective teams once Yahoo opens up, which I understand will be March 1st?
Please help me with analyzing my team? viewtopic.php?f=29&t=433592
Mateo de Lorenzo Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Mateo de Lorenzo wrote:Thank you for the information. Our draft is now complete, save for a few remaining MiLB rounds, which is going smooth. Definitely a lot smoother then I envisioned. We considered assigning time slots, but decided to just go ahead with it and give a 24 hour period to make ones pick. Only once did we have someone take more then 12 hours, and he lives in France so the time difference presented an issue more so then the manager.

I guess I can use this as a segway to my next question, as you seem to be knowledgable on the subject of Yahoo. Now that the slow draft is complete, how do I transfer the selected players to their respective teams once Yahoo opens up, which I understand will be March 1st?

I'm not at liberty to say what date we'll launch, sorry.

Once we do, the commissioner can choose from 3 types of drafts:
- Live Draft. Everybody logs in using a Flash app and does the draft in real time.
- Autodraft. Everybody can express prerankings for players, and when everybody is ready, we automatically draft for everybody based on their preferences.
- Offline. The league does something that Yahoo! doesn't know or care about, and then the commissioner uses a tool to tell us how it turned out.

The Offline option is what you'll want.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:53 pm

I just read a yahoo ad that says they open Feb 9th.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)

Postby GRIN » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:21 pm

20 team baseball H2H keeper league
14 team basketball H2H keeper league (looking for expansion teams)
20 team hockey H2H keeper league
MLB Beat the Streak
ESPN Streak for the Cash
GRIN
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 19)

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner