Trade Bautista? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade Bautista? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Bautista? WHIR

Postby PhillyPhreak » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:24 am

12 team dynasty points league (see below for points). Keep 12 players with 6 farm slots. The past few years I've been flirting with the last playoff spot but it hasn't happened yet. Received this trade offer:

Give: Jose Bautista Get: Brandon Belt, Wilin Rosario, Rickey Romero.

I know that Bautista will be a stud for the next few years. I guess this trade would be about long term control of Belt and Rosario (who I'm high on) for the next 8 years or so than 3 from Bautista. I'm in limbo on whether to blow up my team and rebuild or try fro one more push this year. So thoughts on this trade? Or does anyone think I can get more by holding Bautista and then selling him in season?

Thanks.

My team:
JP Arencibia (C, TOR)
B. Butler (1B, KC)
A. Lind (1B, TOR)
G. Sanchez (1B, FLA)
A. Dunn (1B, CWS)
D. Uggla (2B, ATL)
B. Roberts (2B, BAL)
J. Bautista (3B/OF, TOR)
M. Reynolds (3B/1B, BAL)
A. Cabrera (SS, CLE)
J. Werth (OF, WAS)
N. Cruz (OF, TEX)
B. Gardner (OF, NYY)
J. Tabata (OF, PIT)

Z. Greinke (SP, MIL)
E. Jackson (SP, STL)
A. Ogando (SP, TEX)
J. Danks (SP, CWS)
J. Niemann (SP, TB)
M. Minor* (SP, ATL) (12/26/2012) (123)
C. Buchholz (SP, BOS)
R. Harden (SP, OAK)
J. de la Rosa (SP, COL)
A. Cobb* (SP, TB) (10/7/2012) (52)
J. Venters (RP, ATL)
A. Bailey (RP, OAK)

Farm:
1. M. Moore* (P, TB) (6/18/2014) (9)
2. D. Brown* (OF, PHI) (9/3/2012) (280)
3. J. Altuve* (2B, HOU) (5/6/2015) (234)
4. D. Pomeranz* (P, COL) (11/22/2013) (0)
5. J. Gyorko* (3B, SD) (9/23/2013) (0)
6. C. Kelly* (P, SD) (10/4/2014) (0)

SCORING: Points
• PA (-1.5), R (1.5), H (4.25), 2B (2), 3B (3), HR (5), RBI (1.5), BB/HBP (3), SB (2)
• IP (2.25), W (3), L (-3), SV (1), ER (-4.5), K (2.25)
PhillyPhreak
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade Bautista? WHIR

Postby MaudDib » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:19 am

I don't like this deal. I would want to get someone who has shown more in the majors than what Belt has. I am not convinced that Belt is going to be a top 10 player at any point in his career and the only way I move Baustista is if I get a player like that. It doesn't mean you have to get a current top 10 player for him but I would look to get a player who has shown that he has that upside. Somebody like Hosmer or Strasburg or Lawrie. These guys have already put up good numbers in their short time in the league.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:57 pm

I'm as big of a belt fan as you're gonna find and this isn't near enough for bautista. You should be getting back young major league proven talent, and probably be in a rebuilding mode to consider this kind of trade.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 426)

Postby fast dogs » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:47 pm

I can see where you'd want to build for the future but you need to do much better than this for Bautista. At least wait until the season starts so the guys you trade for don't bump players from your 12 right now. You need to be sure to get enough back from your 1 big trading chip and this isn't enough
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 286)

Postby Element » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:29 pm

Belt's may not get every day AB's & Rosario was just 'blocked' by Ramon Hernandez. The best player in the deal by far is Romero. If I'm dealing Bautista I need the main part of the deal to be a big bat unless you're getting an elite starter back (Kershaw, Strasburg, etc) as part of the package for me to even consider it.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 693)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:22 pm

This trade offer is a joke. I would be highly offended if a manager offered me such garbage for one of the game's best players.

I would want a young, high upside hitter (Heywerth type), an established young pitcher (say a Dan Hudson or Ian Kennedy), plus a few prospects in the deal. Bare minimum.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:45 pm

Urban Cohorts wrote:This trade offer is a joke. I would be highly offended if a manager offered me such garbage for one of the game's best players.

It IS a terrible offer, but when you reject it, you don't need to be mean about it. Yes, some people will blatantly try to fleece you, but in general a lot of "offensive" trades stem from the fact that especially in long-term leagues, people have wildly different ideas about value.

You don't want to burn bridges in long-term leagues.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:56 pm

lane_anasazi2 wrote:
Urban Cohorts wrote:This trade offer is a joke. I would be highly offended if a manager offered me such garbage for one of the game's best players.

It IS a terrible offer, but when you reject it, you don't need to be mean about it.

Oh, I completely agree with you. But keep in mind I wouldn't actually insult the guy, I would just be far less likely to deal with him in the future or take him seriously. I mean there is bad, and then there is god awful..
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:10 pm

Very bad trade for you.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:17 pm

No doubt it's a bad offer, but if you kind of squint at it, it might not be god-awful. There's a fairly wide range of opinion on Belt, but a healthy percentage of prospect experts think he can be an elite player. Some people are huge fans of Rosario, too. Catchers with that much pop who get to play in Coors are a rare commodity.

Like I said, no way that's enough for Bautista, but you can see the logic of it. If you wanted to blow up your team and play for the future, it would be for a package like this one. I'd just want better/more prospects.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions