Rangers win post for Darvish - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rangers win post for Darvish

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rangers win post for Darvish

Postby mweir145 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:42 am

thedude wrote:
Tavish wrote:$51.7m is a crapton of money just to get the negotiating rights. Guess we will see how serious Yu was about wanting to play for a West Coast team.

Fort Worth is a heck of a lot closer to Japan than Toronto.

In flight time, it's not much different. The flight from Tokyo to Dallas is 11 hours and 35 minutes. The one from Tokyo to Toronto is 12 hours.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:48 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:More of the same from Rogers...non-spending. Although I'm not sure spending 125M on an unproven pitcher is necessarily the way to go.

did they release the jays' bid amount? hard to call it non-spending unless we know they severely under bid. for all we know the jays could have been barely edged out, it's not like any old bid would have won it.

Nothing's been released, but you'd have to think something will be leaked if they bid a significant amount. They'll want to let the fans know they tried. I just like bashing Rogers, though, it's easy. If they're really committed to winning in the future, there's no reason not to have an offer out on Fielder now.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:51 am

Tavish wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:if Yu is now signed, he goes from pitching in Japan to pitching in Texas. yeah good luck with that.

He wouldn't have been any better off pitching in the HomerDome2.

It's not the dome that I would have been worried about with Darvish...it was the competition. He'd be facing the best lineups in the league full of power threats that he never faced in the NPB. At least in Texas he gets to regularly face Seattle and Oakland.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:52 am

thedude wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:damn Yu. I curse Yu in Texas. Yu will fail there.

forget the Rangers for a minute.
the Jays were hoping to win the rights and sign this potentially great pitcher. so what do the Jays do now? they still need pitching. can they now go out and make a trade for someone? maybe they get more involved for Gio Gonzalez? what?

I'd rather have Danks or Wandy than Gio. Gonzalez's price tag is far too high.

Garza please.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:10 am

I don't know a whole bunch about japanese baseball. does anyone know how the workload relates to the majors? number of games, number of pitchers in a rotation, yearly innings averages, etc.. also, anyone know much about the weather in Nippon?

A significant innings increases plus texas heat in August could really spell disaster (if it's a big change from his current situation)..
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby thedude » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:54 am

mweir145 wrote:
thedude wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:damn Yu. I curse Yu in Texas. Yu will fail there.

forget the Rangers for a minute.
the Jays were hoping to win the rights and sign this potentially great pitcher. so what do the Jays do now? they still need pitching. can they now go out and make a trade for someone? maybe they get more involved for Gio Gonzalez? what?

I'd rather have Danks or Wandy than Gio. Gonzalez's price tag is far too high.

Garza please.

Garza was good, but not great in the AL East. He is going to cost a great deal for a guy with a xFIP consistently in the 4.3-4.4 range in the AL.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby thedude » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:12 am

lastingsgriller wrote:I don't know a whole bunch about japanese baseball. does anyone know how the workload relates to the majors? number of games, number of pitchers in a rotation, yearly innings averages, etc.. also, anyone know much about the weather in Nippon?

A significant innings increases plus texas heat in August could really spell disaster (if it's a big change from his current situation)..

Innings increase? Probably not, he already has 1200 career innings and he is only 25.

Nevertheless, there are some notable differences between the Japanese Leagues and MLB. In Japan they use a different baseball (this has been been mentioned as a reason why some Japanese pitchers struggle in the US). Second, in Japan many teams use a six man rotation, and since Mondays is an off day in Japan, Japanese pitchers typically pitch with 6 days rest.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:28 am

Tavish wrote:My favorite responses so far:

This is a huge loss for the Blue Jays who will now likely finish 4th in the division instead of 4th.

True but they would have been in the hunt for 3rd for much longer.

The Jays now overpay for Gio or Garza.

I want somebody on the Rangers to explain the $700,000. These were sealed secret bids so where do they get the $51.7 from? Was the bid in yen and this is the amount after conversion? Did they have some actuarial wizard crunching numbers? Or did they know that the Jays bid $51.6? That is just such a weird number that it needs an explanation.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby thedude » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:38 am

Mookie4ever wrote:

This is a huge loss for the Blue Jays who will now likely finish 4th in the division instead of 4th.

The Jays now overpay for Gio or Garza.

I want somebody on the Rangers to explain the $700,000. These were sealed secret bids so where do they get the $51.7 from? Was the bid in yen and this is the amount after conversion? Did they have some actuarial wizard crunching numbers? Or did they know that the Jays bid $51.6? That is just such a weird number that it needs an explanation.

I think the bids are in dollars. I know why the Red Sox bid $51,111,111.11 though: They set Matsuzaka's value at $50 million. They then worried someone else might bid 50 million, so they were going bid $51 million. They then worried that someone might bid $51 million, so they starting adding ones to the bid until they got to $51,111,111.11.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:39 am

Mookie4ever wrote:

I wonder what their Pyt. Rec. will be.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers