Rangers win post for Darvish - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rangers win post for Darvish

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rangers win post for Darvish

Postby MaudDib » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:39 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:in 3 years at this place I have literally never been the first to break any news here. I though for sure I had the jump on this one.. rushed to get here and found I was beat by almost 3 hours. I would not make a very good journalist.

edit: as I look, that is a speculative post. I got the official right here. first!

ARLINGTON -- The Rangers have agreed to terms with Japanese right-hander Yu Darvish on a multiyear contract. A news conference is expected to be held on Wednesday at Rangers Ballpark.

The Rangers won negotiating rights with a $51.7 million bid that will now be paid to the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters. Texas was able to come to an agreement with Darvish before a 5 p.m. ET Wednesday deadline.

The deal is for six years and for approximately $60 million.

link

Congrats. ;-D I am in a similar boat. Generally I don't think about it or if I do I am always late to the party. i think i have 1-2 minor somethings under my belt but nothing to brag about.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rangers win post for Darvish

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:19 pm

I almost always get news as it's happening on twitter. it's so easy for news to come out before any other website because someone has to post a "tweet" with limited words, rather than an article anywhere else. even rotoworld has to have some write up.

Darvish can opt out after the 5th year.
rotoworld
Yu Darvish can opt out of his new six-year contract with the Rangers after five seasons.
The full details of the six-year, $60 million contract are still trickling in, and might not become completely clear for a few more days. Darvish will be formally introduced at a press conference Friday in Arlington, Texas.

now that the Rangers have Darvish, Fielder is unlikely.
rotoworld.
According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, the Rangers would be interested in signing free agent first baseman Prince Fielder to a "shorter-term" deal.
Fielder's agent, Scott Boras, is said to be looking for something close to the 10-year, $240 million contract that Albert Pujols signed in December with the Angels. But the Rangers won't go to 10 years for Fielder, and likely wouldn't go higher than six. They're merely a darkhorse candidate at this time for the 27-year-old slugger.

Rangers GM Jon Daniels said Wednesday that it's "very unlikely" his team signs Prince Fielder.
That statement leaves the door open a little, but it's quite clear that the Rangers don't have a ton of room left in their budget after committing over $111 million to Japanese right-hander Yu Darvish. If Texas is to land Fielder, his price would first have to drop considerably. The Nationals are likely still the front-runner.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 91)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers