Rangers win post for Darvish - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rangers win post for Darvish

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rangers win post for Darvish

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:39 am

Inukchuk wrote:I think Texas won the post with no intention of signing Darvish. They just didn't want another AL team to get him this year while they make another WS push. :-b
This isn't the worst reasoning, to be honest. It's not costing them anything if/when they get their posting back, and they stopped the Yankees or Red Sox from signing him, which, in their eyes, has to be viewed as a victory.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 375)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:05 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:I think Texas won the post with no intention of signing Darvish. They just didn't want another AL team to get him this year while they make another WS push. :-b
This isn't the worst reasoning, to be honest. It's not costing them anything if/when they get their posting back, and they stopped the Yankees or Red Sox from signing him, which, in their eyes, has to be viewed as a victory.

That's why the Japanese team is not required to accept the highest bid, they can pick whichever bid they want. They should pick the one that they think has the best chance of signing him.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 282)

Postby MaudDib » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:21 am

Mookie4ever wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

That's why the Japanese team is not required to accept the highest bid, they can pick whichever bid they want. They should pick the one that they think has the best chance of signing him.

Both of these aren't true. The Japanese team does have to accept the highest bid and actually they don't even know the teams that bid. They only receive the bid amounts and then take the highest one. There are only a few people who actually know who bid what during the process. Which is why there wasn't a leak until right before it got announced.

The Rangers have more to lose if they don't sign Darvish right now. It will be a blow to the fan base after hearing so much of how good Darvish is only to see your team not sign him. Also hurts the teams reputation and could cost them down the line if they try to sign other Japanese players.

Just like about any other time players have a deadline to sign by, I would expect this to be a deadline deal. The player has no incentive to sign early and might as well hold out as long as possible. The team has no incentive to sign the player early and might as well make the player sweat. But come deadline time, there will be a deal done and Darvish will be a Ranger for the next 5-6 years.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:34 am

MaudDib wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:This isn't the worst reasoning, to be honest. It's not costing them anything if/when they get their posting back, and they stopped the Yankees or Red Sox from signing him, which, in their eyes, has to be viewed as a victory.

Both of these aren't true. The Japanese team does have to accept the highest bid and actually they don't even know the teams that bid. They only receive the bid amounts and then take the highest one. There are only a few people who actually know who bid what during the process. Which is why there wasn't a leak until right before it got announced.

Looked it up and you are right. I got my info from a radio talk show this morning. The Japanese is told who the highest bidder is and the bid amount and they have 4 days to accept or reject the bid.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 282)

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:11 pm

MaudDib wrote:The Rangers have more to lose if they don't sign Darvish right now. It will be a blow to the fan base after hearing so much of how good Darvish is only to see your team not sign him. Also hurts the teams reputation and could cost them down the line if they try to sign other Japanese players.

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but as hort mentioned, there is some merit to it.

As far as a blow to the fan base, I'm not sure how that would affect the Rangers' performance. If their goal was to clear an obstacle on their way to a World Series, and it works, I'm sure the fans would forgive them. Plus, they are defending AL champs. I'm sure that fan support is pretty high right now.

Also, since the posting system is blind, I can't see why not signing Darvish would affect future negotiations.

If this were their strategy, I'm sure they wouldn't parade around the fact that they simply wanted to play keep away with the rest of the league. I'd imagine they'd simply say they just couldn't get a deal done.

All this being said, I'd be shocked if the Rangers don't sign Darvish by the deadline today.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:23 pm

If they end up with Fielder instead of Darvish I don't think the fans would be too upset, especially if its clear they can only have one or the other. And keeping him off of other teams such as the Yanks and Sawx would definitely be beneficial to them. And apparently Fielder has his heart set on Texas.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 172)

Postby kab21 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:26 pm

I kind of hope that he doesn't sign so that this posting system gets reworked.

How many years until Darvish becomes a FA (no posting fee)? I think he can be posted one more time but can't remember for sure.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby MaudDib » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
MaudDib wrote:The Rangers have more to lose if they don't sign Darvish right now. It will be a blow to the fan base after hearing so much of how good Darvish is only to see your team not sign him. Also hurts the teams reputation and could cost them down the line if they try to sign other Japanese players.

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but as hort mentioned, there is some merit to it.

As far as a blow to the fan base, I'm not sure how that would affect the Rangers' performance. If their goal was to clear an obstacle on their way to a World Series, and it works, I'm sure the fans would forgive them. Plus, they are defending AL champs. I'm sure that fan support is pretty high right now.

Also, since the posting system is blind, I can't see why not signing Darvish would affect future negotiations.

If this were their strategy, I'm sure they wouldn't parade around the fact that they simply wanted to play keep away with the rest of the league. I'd imagine they'd simply say they just couldn't get a deal done.

All this being said, I'd be shocked if the Rangers don't sign Darvish by the deadline today.

Like you said the Rangers won't come out and say that they only won the posting of Darvish to keep him from other teams and had no intention of trying to sign him. So as fans you can only speculate and most regular fans will only see the headlines about winning the posting and then the headlines where they failed to sign him. After that the regular fan isn't going to see it as a blocking move or anything other than a failure by the team.

I don't think it effects them with the posting system but it easily could effect them signing other Japanese free agents. By not dealing with Darvish, then the Rangers will get a black eye by most Japanese teams, agents and players. It is similar to where teams screw up with Latin American teams. If a team messes with a player by not giving them a good contract (there were team officials that was skimming players bonus money) then the other players see that are hesitant about dealing with that particular team. This is something that would be hard to prove but it can be something to worry about.

I agree, I would be shocked if he didn't sign.

kab21 wrote:How many years until Darvish becomes a FA (no posting fee)? I think he can be posted one more time but can't remember for sure.

I believe that if he doesn't sign, then he will be a FA next year.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:29 pm

rotoworld.
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Rangers and Japanese right-hander Yu Darvish are finalizing a six-year contract.
Darvish reportedly was aiming for a five-year deal that would enable him to hit free agency a year sooner, but the Rangers have apparently found a way to convince him otherwise. Previous reports have indicated that they were offering a contract similar in value to the six-year, $52 million deal signed with the Red Sox in December of 2006, but chances are this contract will be even bigger. We'll find out just how much in a matter of hours, as Heyman hears that a deal will indeed get done prior to the 5 p.m. ET deadline.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 103)

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:10 pm

in 3 years at this place I have literally never been the first to break any news here. I though for sure I had the jump on this one.. rushed to get here and found I was beat by almost 3 hours. I would not make a very good journalist.

edit: as I look, that is a speculative post. I got the official right here. first!

ARLINGTON -- The Rangers have agreed to terms with Japanese right-hander Yu Darvish on a multiyear contract. A news conference is expected to be held on Wednesday at Rangers Ballpark.

The Rangers won negotiating rights with a $51.7 million bid that will now be paid to the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters. Texas was able to come to an agreement with Darvish before a 5 p.m. ET Wednesday deadline.

The deal is for six years and for approximately $60 million.

link
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers