100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rangers win post for Darvish

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rangers win post for Darvish

Postby Element » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:15 am

Yu Darvish To Be Posted Thursday
By Steve Adams [December 8 at 12:46am CST]
Nippon-Ham Fighters ace Yu Darvish will be posted tomorrow, tweets agent Don Nomura. Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times tweets confirmation from Darvish himself, while NPB Tracker's Patrick Newman provides a translation of Darvish's message to fans.

We've heard in recent weeks that Darvish may be posted following the Winter Meetings, and that appears to be his case. His father had told reporters that there was a "50-50" chance he'd be posted at all, and in Jon Paul Morosi's Winter Meetings preview, we heard that Darvish may have become "disillusioned" with the posting system, at least in part due to Hisashi Iwakuma's 2010 situation with the Athletics.

All of that seems to be moot now, as the 25-year-old Darvish is set to get the opportunity to take his oustanding credentials to Major League Baseball. Darvish hasn't posted an ERA above 2.00 since 2007. HIs 2011 resume included 232 innings of 1.44 ERA ball with a whopping 10.7 K/9 and a 1.4 BB/9 that contributed to his microscopic 0.83 WHIP. He allowed only five home runs in those 232 innings.

To this point, Darvish has been linked to a number of Major League teams. Danny Knobler of CBS Sports speculates (on Twitter) that the Rangers, Yankees, and Blue Jays could be Darvish's most likely suitors.

He will be viewed as an alternative to C.J. Wilson and Mark Buehrle, the market's two most sought after pitchers prior to his posting. When Tim Dierkes conducted a poll of five agents and one MLB executive in October, the consensus was that Darvish's posting fee could rival that of Daisuke Matsuzaka and that a $100MM commitmement was likely. In addition to Nomura, Darvish is represented by Arn Tellem.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 789)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yu Darvsh to be Posted

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:18 am

I'm always intrigued but the reality is almost none of these guys work out. I think Nomo is the only Japanese pitcher who really had an impact in MLB. Interested to see how this plays out.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby kab21 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:08 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:I'm always intrigued but the reality is almost none of these guys work out. I think Nomo is the only Japanese pitcher who really had an impact in MLB. Interested to see how this plays out.

Not really a fair comp. None of those pitchers were as talented as Darvish and he's still younger than them. <2.00 ERA for 4 straight seasons. 4.5:1 K:BB ratio during those seasons. I also think part of the problem for Japanese players (and also cubans) is that they have basically stagnated against AAA (AA for Cuba) competition until their late 20's. Imo you develop bad habits if you play against inferior comp too long.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby bigken117 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:20 pm

so...how much do the Angels pony up for him?

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)

Postby ensanimal » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:23 pm

I heard the Marlins were interested.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:43 am

all i know of him is him blowing the save at the last WBC finals... then vulturing a win out of it. :-D
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:18 am

I don't know if you guys all got into the WBC or not, but I really enjoyed it and watched almost every game.

I remember watching Darvish before I had any idea who he was and thinking, "who the eff is this?" I mean, he throws hard, he stays low in the zone, and there is sharp break on all of his pitches. on skill set alone, he definitely has elite major league stuff. but, as all of us and todd van poppel know, it takes more than stuff to succeed in the majors. so.. we'll see, i guess.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:28 am

Not much longer now
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby neoforce » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:00 am

raiders_umpire wrote:Not much longer now

I know that MLB teams have until 5pm ET today to submit their bid... does anyone know when the results are released?
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby thedude » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:27 am

neoforce wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:Not much longer now

I know that MLB teams have until 5pm ET today to submit their bid... does anyone know when the results are released?

I think when the Japanese team feels like it. At least that is what it seems like.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers