Keeper Trade involving Pujols - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper Trade involving Pujols

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper Trade involving Pujols

Postby buster444 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:07 pm

Opponent gets Verlander and 3rd round pick.
I get Pujols.

I am in an eight team, h2h league. Each team has 4 keepers (2 hitters, 2 pitchers). My keepers are Miguel Cabrera, Tulo, Verlander, and Felix Hernandez. My opponent's keepers are Reyes, Pujols, Kershaw, and Halladay.

Hitting: AVG, OBP, SLG, K, R, RBI, SB, HR
Pitching: ERA, WHIP, IP, W, L, SV, K, QS, CG

The only problem I can see with this trade is that it would make his pitching too strong.
buster444
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper Trade involving Pujols

Postby onitapgr » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:21 pm

I would pass.....The upgrade of Pujols over Tulo or Cabrera is not worth a 3rd round pick.

If you could keep 3 hitters, I might do it.
onitapgr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby kirch5 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:25 pm

I will agree with him...IF you can keep 3 hitters...do it. But since you cant, don't.
kirch5
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Urban Cohorts » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:03 pm

I would reject the trade as well.

Question though- who would be your SP keeper replacing Verlander? Not that I think it matters much, but I'm curious.

Pujols is certainly a top 3 player, but I don't think he is much more valuable than Tulo or Cabrera. Certainly not enough to downgrade Verlander AND give up a 3rd round pick.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby buster444 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:15 pm

Urban Cohorts wrote:I would reject the trade as well.

Question though- who would be your SP keeper replacing Verlander? Not that I think it matters much, but I'm curious.

Pujols is certainly a top 3 player, but I don't think he is much more valuable than Tulo or Cabrera. Certainly not enough to downgrade Verlander AND give up a 3rd round pick.

Verlander would not be replaced. I would have to draft to replace him. And just to make sure everyone knows, Pujols would not be replacing Cabrera because our league has two utility spots so I would put one of them in a utility spot. I don't know if that would change anything.

Thanks for everyone's help!
buster444
T-Ball Trainer

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:21 pm

so this is a trade after keepers have already been declared? if that's the case then i'd easily make the deal.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:53 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:so this is a trade after keepers have already been declared? if that's the case then i'd easily make the deal.

Yeah, same here.

I was under the assumption that you hadn't declared your keepers yet. If you have, by all means make the deal- even with 1 extra pitching category, Pujols > Verlander + 3rd round pick. Good sell high on Verlander. No way he repeats that record in 2012 (which I'm guessing made his value tremendously high with your scoring settings). Yes, you will have to redraft some pitching. But the deal is completely worth it. You could then even re-deal Pujols if you absolutely wanted to (for a 2nd tier SP and late 1st round / early 2nd round keeper).
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby buster444 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:57 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:so this is a trade after keepers have already been declared? if that's the case then i'd easily make the deal.

Exactly. Everybody in the league has already declared keepers. I would have Cabrera, Tulo, Pujols, and Hernandez at the start of the draft, but i would not have a 3rd round pick. He would have Kershaw, Verlander, Halladay, and Reyes at the start of the draft plus another 3rd round pick. My issue is that his pitching might be too strong and that i might have trouble drafting good pitchers. in case it helps, our league uses 25 man rosters
buster444
T-Ball Trainer

Postby kirch5 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:00 pm

Sorry I guess I made the same assumption

assume = ass + u + me

Great sell high on verly. My personal opinion is stack the hitting and hope you hit on some pitchers

Take the best hitter of the modern era!!
kirch5
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Urban Cohorts » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:05 pm

buster444 wrote:My issue is that his pitching might be too strong and that i might have trouble drafting good pitchers. in case it helps, our league uses 25 man rosters

In an 8 team league, I'm damn near positive that if you draft smartly, you can find a lot of high upside SP in the mid to late rounds of the draft. Your pitching categories are- ERA, WHIP, IP, W, L, SV, K, QS, CG. Of these: W/L is a crap shoot, as is CG. You can peg maybe 3-5 SP who will have more CG, but aside from that it is random year to year.

Just try to acquire SP who have good skill sets (for K's and QS), on teams with at least mediocre run support (to help W/L, though still random from each starter on the same team), and guys who can log in innings. Verlander had a lot of value under your settings, but I truly believe he will not replicate 2011 in the Wins, Losses, and CG.

And like I said before, nothing is stopping you from this (if you aren't fully confident in your SP roster)-
Urban Cohorts wrote:You could then even re-deal Pujols if you absolutely wanted to (for a 2nd tier SP and late 1st round / early 2nd round keeper).
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions