Loss of player to "other" league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Loss of player to "other" league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Loss of player to "other" league

Postby 23 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:47 pm

An owner in my league is campaigning for being able to sign a free agent without having to release someone in the event a player on your roster is traded to the "other" league. To me, it's basic roto that you must release someone in order to sign a free agent. Plus, why should one owner have to release someone when another wouldn't have to? And in theory, it opens the door for teams to load up on free agents-to-be and likely trade targets. How do you guys see it? Thanks.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Loss of player to "other" league

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:31 am

Maybe I'm being dense, but what is the "other" league? Are you talking about an NL/AL only league? If so, I don't understand the question. Maybe give me an example of what you're talking about?
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby 23 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:46 am

Yes. We're Al-only. The way we're set up, in order to sign a free agent, you have to release someone who has been on your active roster for at least seven days. So say one of your players gets traded to the NL - they want to be able to sign a free agent to replace him without having to release someone else (whereas another owner would be required to). We use a sealed bid process every Friday.

The more I think about it, the more I should just go along with it, I think. We also talked about an offseason compensation process a la MLB, but it seems like my owners are more in favor of this.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pjalst » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:17 pm

I'm confused also. I don't see what the problem is. If a team is losing a player to "the other league", that means he will have an opening in his roster correct? If you have an opening already, why would you need to drop a player to add a FA? Wouldn't that still leave you with a hole in the roster?
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby 23 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:08 pm

You're right to think of it in simplistic terms, pjalst. It's basically the s*** out of luck option vs. flexibility. The only hangups are the potential inequities and loopholes (plus you would save a FAAB dollar that it costs to release a player). Like I said, the more I think about it, the more I'll just go along with it.

Our roster limit is 40, but when you sign a FA, he goes directly to your active roster. And given the SOL mentality, that means over the course of the season, your 40-man might dwindle to 35 or whatever if players in your reserves are traded to the NL, released, etc. Sorry for the confusion.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:09 pm

pjalst wrote:I'm confused also. I don't see what the problem is. If a team is losing a player to "the other league", that means he will have an opening in his roster correct? If you have an opening already, why would you need to drop a player to add a FA? Wouldn't that still leave you with a hole in the roster?

What the above poster says makes sense to me.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby 23 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Example would probably be more clear...

-Sabathia gets traded to the Brewers. Owner now has a P slot open. Old rules: his options would be to call up someone from his reserves, make a trade or sign a FA on Friday (meaning he would have to release someone else on his active roster, sign the P and call up someone from his reserves to take the place of the released player). New rules: his options are the same, only he could sign a FA "for free" to take the spot of Sabathia. FAAB bid would still apply, but he would not have to release someone else besides Sabathia.

You're right...keep it simple.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pjalst » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:20 pm

23 wrote:Example would probably be more clear...

-Sabathia gets traded to the Brewers. Owner now has a P slot open. Old rules: his options would be to call up someone from his reserves, make a trade or sign a FA on Friday (meaning he would have to release someone else on his active roster, sign the P and call up someone from his reserves to take the place of the released player). New rules: his options are the same, only he could sign a FA "for free" to take the spot of Sabathia. FAAB bid would still apply, but he would not have to release someone else besides Sabathia.

You're right...keep it simple.

Ah, you never mentioned anything about active and reserve roster in your original post?
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby Goatrider » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:36 pm

Little confused like all else. But in the NL-Only league in which I commish, when a player is traded to the AL that player continues to accrue stats for rest of the season. Then the owner can address the hole in the offseason. Our league just finds it unfair for a season to be imploded because one or two of your big guys get traded in MLB. And in the case of Sabathia, going from Indians to Brewers to Yanks in one season would have kept him eligible to keep for the owner because he started the next season in the appropriate year.

In another NL-Only league that has long-term contracts, you accrue stats for the traded player for the rest of the current season. The next season SOL.

There is a league option to do just that and I personally highly suggest it.

Peace
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 40)

Return to Commissioner's Corner