Rookie Status - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Rookie Status

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rookie Status

Postby mdecav » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:44 pm

Some questions about rookie status. Here is the link to MLB's website about rookie eligibility:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/ab ... ations.jsp

How does one determine when someone has more than 45 days on an active roster? For example, Craig Kimbrel in 2010 pitched in 21 games, but somehow was not on the active roster for 45 days (?). How is this determined exactly, and would Fautino De Los Santos be rookie-eligible in 2012?
mdecav
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rookie Status

Postby fast dogs » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:58 pm

Determining rookie status:
A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).

Kimbrel wasn't up that much in 2010 before Sept, when rosters expand past the 25 player limit. De Los Santos was up in July and August so he won't be elig
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 300)

Postby neoforce » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:16 pm

When I looked a few years ago I could not find an official source that listed the actual days on the active roster. So, my league rules say that while the MLB rookie eligibility includes the days on the MLB active roster, we don't. In our league a player is considered a rookie based strictly on AB/IP.

While Kimbrel was a good example of someone who didn't hit the active roster dates, Mejia of the Mets was an example of a player who was NOT a rookie based strictly on active roster days. Half of the "best prospect lists" listed him, and half did not because he wasn't a rookie. I only saw one that said explicitly that he is being listed as a prospect even though he isn't a rookie because people keep asking about him.

Everyone gets confused by this. For fantasy league purposes, much easier to have a league rule modifying the MLB rule.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:18 pm

neoforce wrote:When I looked a few years ago I could not find an official source that listed the actual days on the active roster. So, my league rules say that while the MLB rookie eligibility includes the days on the MLB active roster, we don't. In our league a player is considered a rookie based strictly on AB/IP.

While Kimbrel was a good example of someone who didn't hit the active roster dates, Mejia of the Mets was an example of a player who was NOT a rookie based strictly on active roster days. Half of the "best prospect lists" listed him, and half did not because he wasn't a rookie. I only saw one that said explicitly that he is being listed as a prospect even though he isn't a rookie because people keep asking about him.

Everyone gets confused by this. For fantasy league purposes, much easier to have a league rule modifying the MLB rule.

baseball-reference has service time on their player pages.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)

Postby 23 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:44 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:baseball-reference has service time on their player pages.

If I'm not mistaken, they list total days, though, not days before MLB roster expansion, right? They show Mike Trout with 83 days, but he is actually eligible for the ROY award in 2012.

We implemented a farm system last year and just use MLB rookie status (with the caveat that they become ineligible for farm protection once they make MLB appearances in two different seasons).
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby neoforce » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:51 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
baseball-reference has service time on their player pages.

So it does, I didn't know that. But doesn't it also include September days? Here is the MLB rookie rule:

(b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).

So, if you are on the roster in September I think (but am not sure) it counts as "service time" but not toward rookie eligibility. Kimbrel seems to show that. On Baseball Reference he has credit for 1 year and 66 days. I'm assuming the 1 year is for 2011, and the 66 days was for 2010. He was still a rookie in 2011, but that was probably because around 30 of those 66 days were because he was on the Braves roster in September of 2010.

Then there is the DL. If someone is on the MLB DL, I assume that gives you service time, but not rookie eligibility time.

I'm not sure I'm interpreting this right, but it seems that the service time still doesn't give you rookie eligibility.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:52 pm

ya it does count roster expansion days which don't count toward rookie eligibility. you'd have to subtract those days which would get kind of annoying.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)

Postby neoforce » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:02 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:ya it does count roster expansion days which don't count toward rookie eligibility. you'd have to subtract those days which would get kind of annoying.

Truth is, the Mejia situation where active roster days are over 45 but AB/IP are under the threshold doesn't seem to happen too often for prospects that might be drafted in a fantasy league. So, as commish, I'm happy with the rule that we only use AB/IP to determine rookies.

But to the original question posted by mdecav, there is an answer. As Giantsfan showed, you can use the days listed in service time at baseball reference.com and then subtract time spent on the DL or in September. Still a bit of a pain, but it is a starting point.
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:15 pm

When you've got a complex league with lots of keepers and teams and a minor league system, basically a league with a lot of moving parts, a good rule of thumb is to keep individual rules simple if you can. My dynasty league w/minors system goes by a simple 130AB/50IP limit; once a player hits that threshold he has to be either dropped or called up during beginning of the next season (if he wasn't called up in season by the owner). It works very well.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 40)

Postby converge241 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:24 am

agree with above poster, make your own rules for your league and try to keep them simple

for ex: in a keeper league I run their "minor league" status expires if they play in a game before 9/1 (this way roster expansion doesnt count cause in Septemmber way too many people play)

its a simple enough trigger to keep track of

some might find that a bit harsh (if say their minor leaguer comes up for a cup of coffee in June cause of injuries) but it is easy and that what the option of AB/IP is good for
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner