Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baseball Forecaster 2012

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Baseball Forecaster 2012

Postby ensanimal » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:12 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
ensanimal wrote:
carter wrote:
I can't believe it either.. once i tried auction, i never wanted to go back. its like the difference between playing checkers and chess - more strategy, more skill, more fun, ect... i think people are either A. too lazy to try something new, B. just plain scared, or C. creatures of habit.. i know old habits die hard. in this case, it sucks

Both are completely different animals. I enjoy doing both, but not one more than the other.
This is where I'm at as well. I currently play in one draft and one auction league per year, and love the nuances of each.

What I find interesting is the widely accepted view that wherever a specific person's league 'draws the line' is where it ought to be. Guys who play in auctions can't believe guys who 'still' draft. Guys who play in auction keepers can't believe guys who 'still' redraft. Guys in contract leagues can't believe guys who 'still' only use keepers. Guys in 20 team leagues can't believe guys who 'still' play in 12 team leagues, and so on and so forth. You see these arguments made countless times each year, as if we all think we've figured out 'the' best way to play. Gimme a break.

There are infinite ways to increase strategy and skill to the game, and, whoever you are, I assure you there are players out there playing in leagues that require more of both. As for the fun portion, well, that's subjective, and really, to each their own. It's just silly to talk down to people who play a different style than you and resolve that they're either lazy or scared. I consider myself a very accomplished and knowledgeable player, and I find drafts to be much more enjoyable than auctions. I enjoy auctions, and preparing for them; but draft day is the most fun I have in the entire fantasy baseball season, and it has nothing with me being lazy or scared or a creature of habit.

This is similar to what I wanted to write but got lazy. Thank you for this as this is 100% correct. ;-D
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 96)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Re: Baseball Forecaster 2012

Postby wrveres » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:32 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I consider myself a very accomplished and knowledgeable player ...
… who is still ascared to play me :o
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Re: Re: Baseball Forecaster 2012

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:33 pm

wrveres wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I consider myself a very accomplished and knowledgeable player ...
… who is still ascared to play me :o
I've played you plenty of times in both baseball and football, ya bum. Each of the last three seasons I've chopped leagues and consequently I've enjoyed playing more and more. I can't see myself ever playing in more than 2 leagues again.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Re: Re: Re: Baseball Forecaster 2012l

Postby wrveres » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:51 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Each of the last three seasons I've chopped leagues and consequently I've enjoyed playing more and more.
Same
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby J35J » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:10 pm

wrveres wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Each of the last three seasons I've chopped leagues and consequently I've enjoyed playing more and more.
Same

Ditto...2 leagues is max for me as well.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:16 pm

J35J wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Same

Ditto...2 leagues is max for me as well.

Its a beautiful thing really enjoying playing again after 4 - 5 years ago feeling like it was more of a chose than anything. I've been more successful in recent years not spreading myself so thin as well, which let's be honest, also makes things more fun. I have more fun with real strong finishes in 2 leagues than going nuts in 7 and winning one or two, strong finishes in a few, and not having enough time to really commit to a few.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Postby jbird669 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:31 pm

Cream wrote:
carter wrote:
jbird669 wrote:I can't believe people still hold a draft, and not an auction, in fantasy baseball. Much better format to acquire players and much more fun IMO.

I can't believe it either.. once i tried auction, i never wanted to go back. its like the difference between playing checkers and chess - more strategy, more skill, more fun, ect... i think people are either A. too lazy to try something new, B. just plain scared, or C. creatures of habit.. i know old habits die hard. in this case, it sucks

The other drawback to auctions is that the drafts just take a long time to complete. Not saying that I don't prefer auction, but sometimes a nice speedy snake draft is all that's needed.

I have only had one snake draft that was quicker than an auction and that was when we drafted online and had a time limit. Otherwise an auction goes much faster (we also keep 10 players).
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby converge241 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:54 pm

Though Auctions should take longer, if people dont nickel and dime the bidding they can actually be closer to drafts than they used to I notice. As in if everyone knows player X will go for 75 bucks why a e you bidding "2 dollars" and "4 dollars" but at same time everyone has the right to bid how they want. Sometimes the bidding on a player takes less time than the guy on the clock trying to review all players.

I prefer auction >>>> draft

Auction you have that full control on the team and not just waiting for a turn, you can build it however you want more like an MLB team. Youre removing more luck by having more control on who is available (but dont fool yourself there is always luck involved to some degree). In a draft its hard to drive up the price/cost/draft pick of players and play that whole game which is a whole chess game in itself. Plus you can always Auction until your starting roster requirements are full then do a draft for the bench as a happy medium?

Dont get me wrong I do plenty of drafts since not everyone will convert but I prefer my auction leagues to a much higher degree and find that they are more challenging and more rewarding
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Postby Saltydog » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:49 pm

FTR, I just bought the 2012 edition a few weeks ago.

Good stuff.
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 142)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers