Baseball Forecaster 2012 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baseball Forecaster 2012

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Baseball Forecaster 2012

Postby Pochucker » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:44 pm

Well Im not going to fight the battle again, however I will say that I will always be of the opinion that many times hard work and intelligence can overcome what many consider "luck" , not only in fantasy baseball but life. I believe the saying is "Those that dont study history are doomed to repeat it" . Not referring to anyone on here but as I said early on, too many times I see people use "luck" as a crutch. The day I feel I dont have control over my success and cant continue to learn more then I will quit.

Happy New Years to all Cafe members may "luck" shine on you in 2012
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:20 pm

Yes, very good post SS. It's that fact that it is so much easier to get info on fantasy sports that is actually making it less fun for me...the work I put into it was/is the fun and rewarding part...but now it's almost become pointless with as much information that is out there now.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby gatorgreenwell » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:52 pm

I have found the Forecaster to be a very valuable tool in helping to identify players who seemingly underperformed during the previous season but actually played better than their surface stats indicate and will therefore be 'undervalued' on draft/auction day. James Shields was one such player for me last year. Instead of picking a top pitcher very early, I was able to add studs elsewhere and then pick Shields later and get stud pitcher value out of him.

I haven't seen this year's Forecaster yet but I imagine that John Danks could be this same type of player that the Forecaster can help identify.
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Pochucker wrote:Well Im not going to fight the battle again, however I will say that I will always be of the opinion that many times hard work and intelligence can overcome what many consider "luck"

Looks like someone has never played fantasy football... :-b
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:39 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:
Pochucker wrote:By the same token you could have second worst stats every week and win --but we both know odds of either happening are astronomical . So luck for the most part is same for all over a full season.

As far as looking back and seeing what you could have done better --thats how you learn and get better. Those who write failures off to luck will never be in the top echelon.

I have to disagree with a lot of this, Pochucker. First, I would say that luck is not the same for all over a full season. I know a six-month season is a long time, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's long enough to even things out. Some teams just get the injury bug or dramatic dropoffs or "out of nowheres" that nobody could have reasonably saw coming.

Second, yes, there are always times where you can look back and see you could have done some things better, but you also have to weigh that against could you REASONABLY have been able to make that decision at the time? Was there really evidence at the time showing you that you should have done X? I usually find that at least half of my mistakes were correct strategy at the time based on what I knew then. In poker, I wouldn't change a thing. Just keep making decisions based on correct strategy and over the course of time I will come out ahead. In poker, math always knows the correct strategy. But when you're dealing with humans instead of cards you're not dealing with a full deck, and math can only assure you of a championship on paper.

Finally, in regards to luck, I think it has to do with what league you're in and whether or not you believe there is a "wall" you hit when studying fantasy baseball. If you are in a competitive league full of knowledgeable owners who are all active, have all done their homework, and all have internet access, then why is it that a majority of the teams will fail? Because only one can win. We are now in an era of people who have grown up playing fantasy sports, are more knowledgeable than they've been in the past, and when they're lazy they can rely on an extraordinary amount of real-time fantasy assistance from the internet. So leagues that are this competitive are not uncommon. In the past it was the team that was most active that had the advantage, but now it's not unusual for all owners to be extremely active.

If you believe in "the wall" then you also believe you can only be so prepared, and that probably most of your league is equally prepared. In this sense, I think it's okay to chalk up your losses to luck. In fact, in some ways I have become a better owner once I realized the hand that luck played in fantasy sports. It allowed me to take a step back and make more patient and even-keeled roster management decisions. But it's not like we're throwing our hands up in the air, saying it's all about luck, and that strategy and study aren't still powerful mechanisms. Coming to luck realization puts many of us in the same place in their fantasy career that Shandler is - we recognize the role of luck and the fallacy of stat projections. We now believe that looking at playing time, injury history, in-draft salary management, etc. is what will put us ahead. If we are right, then it was our realization about luck that made us better owners.

It's a little relieving to come to this realization and turn some of that pressure we put on ourselves over to Lady Luck. There's only so much we can do. Have fun with it. Baseball players are humans, and you can never forecast humans accurately. We have moods and personal relationships, our bodies and health fail, we get distracted, etc. and when your guy steps on the mound or in the batters box we have no idea what's he's taking out there with him that won't show up on even the geekiest stat sheet.

This.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby Pochucker » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:23 pm

More like thats why I dont play fantasy football. The real and fantasy game are so different from baseball its not funny. So as I stated previously if I don't feel I have enough control I wont play it.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:35 pm

Pochucker wrote:More like thats why I dont play fantasy football. The real and fantasy game are so different from baseball its not funny. So as I stated previously if I don't feel I have enough control I wont play it.

...kinda what I was implying... :-°
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Cream » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:40 pm

PDF files are available for those who bought it through baseballHQ.
Cream
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 24)

Postby Cream » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:42 pm

I spent some time reading through the book and looking through the draft guides included at the end. In looking at the draft guide with the players ranked by position within tiers, does anyone else feel that the scale/scoring the book uses overvalues speed guys? I seem to see a lot of speed guys ranked higher than I would have expected (see Pierre, Bourn, Gardner). Now that I'm writing this, it seems fairly specific to OF's. Has this been discussed in previous years?
Cream
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 24)

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:56 am

I believe luck is almost everywhere.
But in fantasy bb, i don't really buy it much.
The team that wins, had the right guys.
Everybody else didn't.
If it could be proven that fantasy bb was 80% skill and 20% luck, i might be ok with that.

I have played money keeper leagues for 25 years, with players across the nation.
Many players have been there 10-15 years.
You can tell who is elite, who is average, and who is wasting their time.
I can only remember once, a suspect owner winning.
In a 10 year span of the various leagues, an average owner wins once.
The other 9 winners come from the 3-4 elite, or good players in the league.

I just don't believe in excuses in fantasy bb.
The winner picked the right players.
From my experience, the top 30% of the players, win almost all the time.

I like the Forecaster and BP.
But i never take anything from one source.
Gather as much useful info as you can, then go from there.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers