New long term league with wrinkles - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

New long term league with wrinkles

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: New long term league with wrinkles

Postby fast dogs » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:31 pm

So what site handles cancel a category? I'd think you'd have to keep standings by hand and the leagues standings would always be incorrect. If every matchup has a different stat as cancelled I don't think any service would be able to keep up with those rules
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 302)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mkultra » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:50 am

Completely agree that this is your biggest problem. I've said it before, I'll say it again- don't get cute with your league. Your league's usability takes a nosedive quickly if you stray too far from tried-and-fast rules, for better or worse. You're back to the Dark Ages of Excel, email, and message boards.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby pjalst » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:01 pm

fast dogs wrote:So what site handles cancel a category? I'd think you'd have to keep standings by hand and the leagues standings would always be incorrect. If every matchup has a different stat as cancelled I don't think any service would be able to keep up with those rules

Being unique and forcing stategy is nice, if you can keep it simple. If you can't find a site that accomodates your stat keeping, you will have to use an additional site or group to post stats with the cancelled category numbers. Havining to use two sites to mangage a fantasy team will compicate things and turn some owners off. And good luck to the guy that gets the job of tracking and posting the cacelled category stats
8-o
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 63)

Postby bigmck » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:20 pm

mkultra wrote:Completely agree that this is your biggest problem. I've said it before, I'll say it again- don't get cute with your league. Your league's usability takes a nosedive quickly if you stray too far from tried-and-fast rules, for better or worse. You're back to the Dark Ages of Excel, email, and message boards.

I was in a standard auction league using CBS stat service one time. CBS has all of the colums to keep track of salary and contracts. This league decided to do it a different way and keep only the names on CBS and keep everything else on a spreadsheet that continued from year to year. They felt this was easier than inputting everything on CBS. It was the biggest mess I have ever seen but they had done this way for years. One year and I was out of the league. == My point is the same as above. Don't make your rules so different that stat services can't use them. Using a stat service and a spreadsheet is not something you want to do.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner