New long term league with wrinkles - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

New long term league with wrinkles

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New long term league with wrinkles

Postby baegames » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:54 am

I am starting a new league next year with some wrinkles as summarized here. Some of the wrinkles can be dropped or split into two different leagues. Would anyone like to help finalize the league constitution:

Auction League

Wrinkles:
(1) Protections allowed with Long-Term Contracts. Contracts dollar amount based on original price before protection and # of years locked up (increased cost for more years)
(2) FAAB and Auction Dollars. If unused Auction Dollars, can be turned into FAAB, but at less than a rate of 1-for-1. It would cost, for example, $3 Auction remaining to get $2 FAAB money.
(3) Players can only be picked up as Free Agents/Waivers once per week, and must be nominated and then acquired based on FAAB winner. Ties go to Nominating team; if still tied, another process done to break ties.
(4) A player may be signed to a Signing Bonus (using Auction Dollars or FAAB) whereby the contract is paid upfront, decreasing the amount of Auction Dollars needed for that player in future years.
(5) The available protections year to year is based on the team's previous finish in the standings, to give worse teams a better chance at protections.
(6) HTH with one category cancelled each week by the "Home" team.

If you are interested in helping modify the Constitution, please let me know. If you are interested in participating, please let me know.
baegames
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 649)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New long term league with wrinkles

Postby bigmck » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:29 pm

Wrinkles:
(1) Protections allowed with Long-Term Contracts. Contracts dollar amount based on original price before protection and # of years locked up (increased cost for more years)

You didn't go into depth about how you would do that, but that is good as there are different ways to do this but all accomplish about the same thing. == My league gives a player his Auction Salary in years one and two. In the third year there is a five dollar increase, in the fourth and every year there after it increases by ten dollars. A player can be dropped at anytime.

(2) FAAB and Auction Dollars. If unused Auction Dollars, can be turned into FAAB, but at less than a rate of 1-for-1. It would cost, for example, $3 Auction remaining to get $2 FAAB money.

I don't like that. It is too confusing. Either give your league a FAAB Budget for them to use or have a league Salary Cap. WIth a cap there is no FAAB Budget. The Owners can bid as often and as much as they want as long as their Team Salary does not go above the Cap.

(3) Players can only be picked up as Free Agents/Waivers once per week, and must be nominated and then acquired based on FAAB winner. Ties go to Nominating team; if still tied, another process done to break ties.

Why not use a Stat Service that has a FAAB. Owners make secret bids, the site breaks ties based on an order that you set up and you can set it to run whenever you want. Much better.

(4) A player may be signed to a Signing Bonus (using Auction Dollars or FAAB) whereby the contract is paid upfront, decreasing the amount of Auction Dollars needed for that player in future years.

I have never heard of that. I guess you could do it, but I really don't see much advantage.

(5) The available protections year to year is based on the team's previous finish in the standings, to give worse teams a better chance at protections.

No sure what you mean by "Available Protections". If you mean Draft Order, that would be fine.

No, I don't like that at all. That is like in MLB the home team gets to put the bases the distance apart they want. If you have a speed team, you put them 100 feet apart. No it doesn't make much sense.

=======================

I would be glad to help if I can. I have been running the same Auction League since 1996. == See above my comments on each item.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Postby baegames » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback. My buddy and I were talking about the "Home" advantage, which could really help into the playoffs. I like it, but I think it can be separated from the other planning.

The protectable rule would be that, if you came in first, you could only protect a lower amount than someone who finished in last, to give lower ranked teams a better chance to rebuild.

The one thing we really wanted was the Signing Bonus. The advantage of that is that, if you are a poor team, you can build for the future by signing players to long term contracts for lower than you otherwise could.

I did not know about sites that had FAAB budgets. I'd be willing to see other options with that; we were just trying to determine different options.

If we get enough interest (mostly among my buddy and my friends), I will send the Constitution as now constructed to people involved to make the final rules.

Thanks again for your feedback. We will look into the FAAB rule and potentially splitting the HTH league from this league (which is actually what I want to do; my buddy wants it as one league).
baegames
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mkultra » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:57 pm

FAAB does not need to be tied to salary at all. In my dynasty league, we have a $100 FAAB budget and a $300 in-season salary cap. FA players acquired via FAAB have a salary of $1, or their keeper/auction salary. The amount of FAAB you bid is immaterial. I know some leagues like to make salary what you bid, but then you wind up with overpaid scrubs and the occasional end-of-season steal because someone dropped a high-talent player who got hurt and no one's got much FAAB left.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 50)

Postby baegames » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:10 pm

mkultra,

Thanks for the feedback. That is an interesting concept to not tie Salaries to the FAAB system. I do like the idea though, and my response would be as follows:

(1) Make the DL unlimited so there is no worry about a player dropping an injured stud.
(2) Make waivers separate (earlier) than Free Agency so that the player will be picked up by someone (at their Auction value). Additionally, make a rule that all drafted players are priced for protection reasons at their auction price, whether dropped or not.
(3) As far as the overpriced scrub, so what. Don't protect them the next year.

I will put it to the teams in the league though, about breaking FAAB prices from Values.
baegames
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigmck » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:11 am

If you want a stat service that might be good try Fantrax.com I have explored their site but never used it. It is a free site and they have a FAAB and most things that the pay sites have.
Last edited by bigmck on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pjalst » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:59 am

How about, Home team wins the ties? This way you eliminate the ties in H2H and only have to deal with W/L records. Ties are not that common and won't be as damaging as cancelling a category. Canelling a Category is too complicated, what if you have an inactive team and the owner doesn't cancel his category each week?
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby baegames » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:05 pm

That's a good point that teams could fail to choose their cancelled category in advance if they are no longer competitive. I suppose the goal would be to have everyone stay active throughout the season (and, to some extent, off-season).

Would a solution to that problem be to have each team set one category (likely their weakest) as their cancelled category in case they fail to get their category in in time? This can be set at the start of the year and changed at any time. An easier method might be to say that, if you do not get your cancelled category in time, the category is whatever you used as your cancelled category the last time you were the Home Team.

I think that would solve the problem on the premise that no owner would be inactive at the start of the year. Thoughts?

I will show all the feedback given here to the other founding owners so we can make our decisions with valid input from experienced commissioners. We also may not use the two types of situations (cancelled categories and signing bonuses) in the same league.
baegames
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigmck » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:28 pm

I am not sure why you like the "Cancel a Category" so much. I have never heard of that being used before. If you think having an odd number of categories will eliminate ties, that is not the case. You can have ties just as easy with an odd number as an even number.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby baegames » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:37 pm

It has nothing to do with breaking ties. It has to do with the fact that some friends and I thought it would be interesting and add some strategy. I have to say, from my standpoint, the fact that people have never heard of these is partially why I like them. I am looking for a slightly different strategy to utilize so people can not just use generic strategies.

It would add a level of strategy (do you have a well balanced team or not) and maybe an edge to the home team in the playoffs.
baegames
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner