Considering Adding Holds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Considering Adding Holds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Considering Adding Holds

Postby bigmck » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:59 pm

fast dogs wrote: Will you add a roster spot for an additional P or just go 1 less?

No, I am not adding a P spot. It wii stay at 9. The reason I am adding Holds is that it will be a 16 team mixed league and there just won't be enough quality starters to go around if I don't use RP. If I just go with starters and closers, most teams would have two closers and 9 or 10 starters (counting the bench) and that would just stretch the starters too thin. I like the idea of not having to use fifth starters so that would be 30 MLB teams times 4 starters or 120 SP. If each Fantasy team uses two MRP, two closers and 7 starters (counting the bench) that would take care of the pitching staff and still use less than the 120 available starters.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby oscarsf » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:17 am

We've used holds and quality starts for the past two years in a 16-team H2H league. Yes, holds can be random form week to week but it fits with the streaky nature of the H2H format. Our owners love holds and good set-up men will often get drafted ahead of elite closers because of better WHIP and ERA.
oscarsf
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby MurrayKy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:19 pm

First off, I'm all for adding holds. Without it, middle relievers have a minimal role in fantasy baseball, and they are very important in the real game.

Second... even though this doesn't really pertain to the question, haha. My one league, the only league I have been in the past three years, uses 21 categories in H2H.

Offense: Hits, Doubles, Triples, HR, RBI, R, K, BB, AVG, SB, CS
Pitching: ERA, WHIP, K/BB, K, BB, HRA, W, L, SV, HD

I've never really thought about how some stats tie into one another; ie, more hits translate into a better average, most of the time, k/bb is directly influenced by k's and bb's haha, etc.

I see where people are coming from with that, but I like how the many cats balances out everything. You need to build a complete team (we're a dynasty league keeping 25 of 29) to compete.
MurrayKy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:40 pm

Why would you have more hitting categories than pitching. They are equal. If the idea is to eliminate ties in a H2H league, that logic is not sound. Categories can tie also.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Merlin401 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:09 am

We go 7x7 with the following beyond standard:

OPS: a more all-around good metric of hitting, includes OBP and reward XBH (no brainer)
K: makes things more strategic, rewards a good batting eye, helps speedsters a bit, we like it

K:BB: an important metric driving pitchers performance, hurts streamers
CG: seems silly but its a counting stat that ONLY rewards excellent pitchers (not streamers), rewards workhorses (again without helping streamers), often ties so H2H is a bit tougher to tie.
Merlin401
College Coach
College Coach

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:16 pm

i would suggest combining sb and cs into 1 cat (sb-cs). no need to have both seperately. i could theoretically build a team with no players who attempt steals(a bunhc of fatties) and just cancel out teh SB stat by winning CS w 0 each week
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby andrewkeefe » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:18 am

Touching on some other responses:

My league had a year where holds was incorporated. We did not like it. Not many reliable hold men. Most are backwater pitchers that aren't good enough to start or close. I'd go on, but we don't even like to talk about that year...

OPS (On-base Plus Slugging) we have found as a really nice batting stat. Doesn't favor speed or power- but is a great measure of production.
andrewkeefe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:27 am

I started this thread in November and am still keep getting a reply every now and then. My main idea behind possibly adding Holds was to use middle relievers. It was for a 16 team league. There weren't enough starters and closers to go around. I would have had 9 P active and probably each team would have two on the bench. That would mean 9 starting pitchers and 2 closers on each Fantasy Team. 9 starters X 16 fantasy teams would leave hardly anyone in the FA pool. == I gave up on the idea of using Holds and cut back my active P to 8. This leaves enough for all teams plus the FA pool has enough in it. Just thought I would let you know what I decided on.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dmendro » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:52 pm

bigmck wrote:I am going to expand the catagories in my H2H league from 10 to 12 next year. I am using the standard 10 now. I was thinking Holds and Hits as the two to add. I have never played in a league with Holds. What is the normal number obtained in a week on Holds? I am trying to make Owners use other pitchers besides starters and closers is my thinking on Holds. Do you have any other suggestions on either pitching or hitting catagories? Thanks,

There is no good 6th stat for pitching unfortunatel. Holds are just saves without the glory. You are better served combing holds+saves into one category and adding something like IP, Quality starts, or something like that.

For hitting add OPS or TB+W.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby GibandLou » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:44 pm

If you think a game-ERA of 4.5 is "quality," then use the QS. Sorry, but 3 runs in 6 IP isn't "quality" to me.

I'm in multiple leagues that uses holds. It requires you to know middle relievers and/or setup men, who can also steal wins and bump up your team's Ks. I enjoy it.

As for another hitting stat to add, I like OPS or BB. Each is a decent measure of a hitter's proficiency. TB is another one to consider. I wouldn't use hits, as you are already counting hits in the BA. OPS, TB, and BB all will make the most valuable hitters more valuable.
GibandLou
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 14)

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner