Considering Adding Holds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Considering Adding Holds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Considering Adding Holds

Postby bigmck » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:11 am

I am going to expand the catagories in my H2H league from 10 to 12 next year. I am using the standard 10 now. I was thinking Holds and Hits as the two to add. I have never played in a league with Holds. What is the normal number obtained in a week on Holds? I am trying to make Owners use other pitchers besides starters and closers is my thinking on Holds. Do you have any other suggestions on either pitching or hitting catagories? Thanks,
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Considering Adding Holds

Postby converge241 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:29 am

Id vote for Holds and Walks to expand the hitting, and all for the use of some non closing MRs to help fill out a league

Hits are already tied into the avg so seems a little double dipping

I have played in leagues with holds but never really paid close enough attention to the amounts, so sorry there!
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby ensanimal » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:18 pm

I don't thing there is an average amount of holds per week. Using the same lineup I've had weeks with no holds, 2 holds and 7 holds. It really is a guessing game each week. That being said, I do like it to expand the pitchers being used.

As was mentioned, if you're using AVG as a stat, hits wouldn't be where I would go to add another one. You could do away with AVG and go with OBP and SLG.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)

Postby baegames » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:36 pm

I agree with replacing Avg with OBP and SLG.

As far as the pitching category, I am not sure I like Holds. It is the one category where a player would "lose" value by getting "promoted", where someone becoming the closer loses value. I suppose it is similar to the risk of a player being traded, but not exactly.

That being said, I could see going with Winning Percentage or K/BB. I will frequently use K/BB as a guide even if it is not a category to help determine who the top pitchers really are. It's a quick tool to take out luck (yes, I know BABIP works better, but I am looking for something I can calculate just looking at the numbers).
baegames
General Manager
General Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 197)

Postby bigmck » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:43 pm

I appreciate the input. If there is further comment, I would like to hear it. Thanks,
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby pjalst » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:00 pm

Get rid of Avg and go with OPS and Slg. Get rid of W and go with QS and Hlds

I say QS over W's because pitcher A can throw one hitter and lose, pitcher B can give up 10 hits, 5 ER, 3 hr's and still get a win.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 65)

Postby fast dogs » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:14 am

I like the idea of middle relievers getting some use in fantasy leagues; they will pick up some wins as well if they are being used on a regular basis. Middle relievers play such an important part of baseball they should be included in fantasy.Couple of years ago I played in a league that used doubles, it didn't suck as much as I thought it might
It can be said that holds is 1 of those categories that you start to get more luck involved in winning a category, but if you draft good middles while others are drafing other positions it should give you an advantage there. Will you add a roster spot for an additional P or just go 1 less? I actually like the idea of adding holds and none on the hitting side but you rarely hear of leagues doing that...
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 304)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:10 am

Replacing AVG with OBP and SLG is not bad. I see a lot of leagues run AVG and OBP too, even though AVG contributes to OBP.

You could always throw in something like replacing AVG with OBP and adding a negative stat like Ks or GIDP.

Pitching wise, Holds is a nice category to add for reasons mentioned above. If your league favors hitting, you can replace Wins with Wins-Loss and add in Quality Starts.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby converge241 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:17 am

As the poster above said I dont like leagues with OBP AND Avg they are different but two much similarity contained within

Theres a big movement for QS vs W
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby mkultra » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:36 pm

The problem with QS, IMO, is that you miss out on RP's stealing wins, depending on how you feel about that.

My 6x6 league uses OBP instead of AVG and adds Total Bases, which I like. We also use K:BB as our last pitching category.

Holds as a category is pretty random, especially in H2H leagues.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner