Keeper League Franchise Players WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper League Franchise Players WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Keeper League Franchise Players WHIR

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:40 am

I would keep Jones as my 8th keeper.

I would franchise Felix Hernandez, Justin Upton, and Dustin Pedroia
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KSig24 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:44 pm

I was just offered Ellsbury for my first round draft pick #9 and my 6th round pick. Do I make this trade?

The thing is that this is the first second overall draft pick eligible to be kept in our league. This is a highly coveted pick that I do not want to pass up. I may be able to land a top notch youngster with immediate keeper eligibility.

Thoughts?
KSig24
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:51 pm

KSig24 wrote:I was just offered Ellsbury for my first round draft pick #9 and my 6th round pick. Do I make this trade?

The thing is that this is the first second overall draft pick eligible to be kept in our league. This is a highly coveted pick that I do not want to pass up. I may be able to land a top notch youngster with immediate keeper eligibility.

Thoughts?

Who would possibly be available at pick 9?
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Urban Cohorts » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:04 pm

KSig24 wrote:I was just offered Ellsbury for my first round draft pick #9 and my 6th round pick. Do I make this trade?

Yeah, who is going to be available? If you are all keeping 8 players, I'm assuming there isn't going to be much in the draft. Especially at pick #9. So why not add Ellsbury (a first round 2012 pick) to your already stong roster?

So you can only keep guys you draft in the first 1-2 rounds? That seems like an odd rule.

And even if you lose the pick, you are most likely speculating (gambling) on hitting a stud with what is essentially a 9th round pick. I'd take Ellsbury and go for the win this year.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby KSig24 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:45 pm

Urban Cohorts wrote:

Yeah, who is going to be available? If you are all keeping 8 players, I'm assuming there isn't going to be much in the draft. Especially at pick #9. So why not add Ellsbury (a first round 2012 pick) to your already stong roster?

So you can only keep guys you draft in the first 1-2 rounds? That seems like an odd rule.

And even if you lose the pick, you are most likely speculating (gambling) on hitting a stud with what is essentially a 9th round pick. I'd take Ellsbury and go for the win this year.

Last year Weaver was the 9th pick overall. So it will still be slim pickings. With 80 of the top players already gone the first few rounds are generally really tough.

I was saying the the snake comes back to me with the second pick in the 6th round which is my first eligible pick to keep a player. This is usually a pick that people stand in line for. I could land a Montero or Moore here or even take a flier on a Moustakas and be able to keep them for at least three years and if they turn out to be super stars then I can franchise them.

Last years first pick in the 6th rd was Strasburg, the year before he was drafted where he would never have been able to be kept, but due to the injury he fell a few rounds. Same thing happened with Wainwright!

I would deal 9th overall and 8th rd.
KSig24
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby pjalst » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:10 pm

Urban Cohorts wrote:The guys I would franchise-

1) Justin Upton - Obvious choice
2) Andrew McCutchen - High upside, young and still improving
3) Dustin Pedroia - The 2nd best 2nd baseman. Has the skill-set that won't dramatically decline. Contributes across the board and plays in a MUCH superior park and lineup compared to David Wright.

For the last keeper, I would go with Freeman. I like Jones as well, but since you should be keeping McCutchen and Upton, you could use a solid young guy at 1B.

The Mets are going to bring in the fences at Citi Field, that should improve Wright's numbers. ;-D
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 76)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:44 am

KSig24 wrote:I was saying the the snake comes back to me with the second pick in the 6th round which is my first eligible pick to keep a player. This is usually a pick that people stand in line for. I could land a Montero or Moore here or even take a flier on a Moustakas and be able to keep them for at least three years and if they turn out to be super stars then I can franchise them.

Last years first pick in the 6th rd was Strasburg, the year before he was drafted where he would never have been able to be kept, but due to the injury he fell a few rounds. Same thing happened with Wainwright!

I would deal 9th overall and 8th rd.

Oh, I understand now. I guess this trade depends upon how you think your team's chances are for this year. If you have a near-top team already, I would most certainly lose that pick for Ellsbury. Using that pick to get the next superstar/franchise player would be a HUGE benefit, but realistically it is mostly speculation, no? There is no guarantee that the person you pick there will break out and be a franchise guy. Ellsbury has already proven to be elite, so keeping him for 3 years is not that bad. Assuming you can win this year.

pjalst wrote:The Mets are going to bring in the fences at Citi Field, that should improve Wright's numbers. ;-D

True, that will certainly help Wright. But with the Mets probably losing Reyes and not having much else, I'd stick with Dustin. Dustin is solid, plays in a great lineup, and is a safe keeper IMO.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:10 am

KSig24 wrote:Last year Weaver was the 9th pick overall.

Ellsbury is worth so much more then that pick. Take the deal.
raiders_umpire

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions