Trade CarGo in a 20-team league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade CarGo in a 20-team league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade CarGo in a 20-team league?

Postby Sticky Spice » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:29 pm

Looking for input from owners with experience in deep mixed leagues. Standard 5x5 scoring (OBP instead of BA) and 14 hitters/10 pitchers. We can keep 15 players.

Someone is offering multiple players for my best undervalue - CarGo at $17. It's interesting because my last deal with this guy two years ago when I was in a similar position turned out AWESOME. I have a lot of talent, but little precious undervalue:

Potential Keepers
1B - Adrian Gonzalez $37
2B - B Phillips $25
SS - J-Roll $25
3B - Big Panda $18
OF - CarGo $17
UT - Big Papi $8

P - Greinke $20
P - Colby Lewis $11
P - Homer Bailey $2
P - Axford $10

More possibilities depending on how things are looking this spring: Russell Martin $9, Wigginton $8, Jesus Guzman $10, Abreu $19, Duda $10, Hideki Matsui $1, Papelbon $20

He is offering "any combination" of the following:
Yadier $8
E Encarnacion $7
Heyward $7
L Morrison $7
Revere $7
JD Martinez $10
B McCarthy $10
Niemann $7
I could possibly get Luebke at $2 in on the deal

I feel like I need to take some risks to compete for the money. Guys like Heyward and Morrison are pretty tempting upside. What package of the above would it take for you to trade - or is this stuff just not good enough? I just plain didn't pay attention to most of these guys last year and am pretty stumped.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade CarGo in a 20-team league?

Postby Tavish » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:46 pm

I wouldn't do it. If you are wanting to turn CarGo into several undervalues, I would bet there are other offers you could explore that would be more valuable than Morrison and Heyward.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby mkultra » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:04 pm

CarGo at $17 is a GREAT value. He's less than half the price of Gonzo, and could easily outperform him next year. I agree that none of those guys he's offering are all that interesting, even at those prices.

CarGo's stock is fairly low right now because he missed so much time this year, but I wouldn't accept anything less than elite talent or top prospects for him. If anything, think about trading up if you're willing to absorb more salary- someone looking at keeping Braun or Kemp in the $35-$40 range may bite at a swap.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby fast dogs » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:18 pm

don't let a previous deal affect your present deals. He has nothing here to make this worth your while
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 317)

Postby Element » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:43 pm

I wouldn't do this either. CarGo is far too valuable to be considered here. However, I would definitely find a way to add Heyward. Perhaps the owner has soured on him. I'm buying if I can. Morrison would be a nice target too.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 789)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:Guys like Heyward and Morrison are pretty tempting upside. What package of the above would it take for you to trade - or is this stuff just not good enough?

The players being offered are simply not good enough. As mentioned by everyone, Cargo's contract is outstanding at $17.

The only way I would trade him away is if you are getting a semi-elite player AND 2-3 good prospects at very good prices. Essentially, I would look for a star player (at normal price like Gonzo) and 2-3 guys who have contracts like Heyward's $7. I might be tempted to pawn off some your guys who may not make back their salary too (say B Phillips $25 or J-Roll $25).

Cargo + Phillips/Rollins for Star Player at SS/2B at normal price + 2-3 guys like Heyward's $7. This way you retain a star player, but transfer the value in Cargo to 2-3 lesser guys while losing a contract that isn't great.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ensanimal » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:40 pm

Agree with the rest, not enough value coming back. If he had guys like Stanton/Lawrie/Jennings for cheap prices it might be worth it. CarGo for $17 is too good to pass up. Is there any sort of inflation in your league, or is CarGo at $17 for life?
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 92)

Postby Sticky Spice » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:11 pm

I left out contract status so as not to overwhelm you guys with info. Almost everyone listed is entering the final year of their deals including CarGo, Heyward, and Logan. None are eligible to be long-termed.

Thanks everyone for the input. You encouraged me to look at other rosters, and in doing so, I found out that I don't have to take risks as much as I thought. Surprisingly, I've got one of the better looking teams as our league appears to be extremely short on bargains.

You guys were all a big help - thank you very much.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 42)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:28 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:I left out contract status so as not to overwhelm you guys with info. Almost everyone listed is entering the final year of their deals including CarGo, Heyward, and Logan. None are eligible to be long-termed.

Makes it even easier. Take the sure thing in 2012 in Cargo.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions