My 2012 Keepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

My 2012 Keepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: My 2012 Keepers

Postby MaudDib » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:05 am

Urban Cohorts wrote:
MaudDib wrote:I would also prefer Garcia over Berkman. Berkman had a bad year in 2010 and then surprised everyone last year. I am not sure I think he can repeat that again. He will continue to play OF which increases the risk he will get hurt. I would rather pay for the young arm that has upside then the an aging OF that hit his peak.

For arguments sake, Garcia over Berkman?

I think Garcia is the safe pick (for the reasons you mention about Berkman- old, injury risk in OF, probably wont repeat). That said, I think Berkman is going to be 2012's version of 2011 Paul Konerko. People made a similar case for not drafting Konerko in 2011, but the guy produced over expectations and had a fine season. He was a major steal value wise (I think his MDP was an 8th rounder in 2011). And while I don't see Berkman repeating 2011, I think he can still post solid numbers in 2012. And at $10 for that upside, I take it.

It's not that I don't like Berkman. More that I really like Garcia. There is just more risk with Berkman. The comparison to Konerko is pretty good but there is a difference. Konerko plays an easier postion at 1B and has the ability to DH (which he did 36 times last year) where Berkman will play the OF which will just put more wear on him. Again, I am not that down on Berkman, I just like Garcia more. Garcia improved on his BB and maintained pretty much everything else. I think he is the pitcher we have seen with some slight improvements. I think he can be a 15 game winner with a handful more strikeouts. Not an Ace but a strong #2.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions