Pick 3 Keepers WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Pick 3 Keepers WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pick 3 Keepers WHIR

Postby cfrat24 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:01 pm

12 Teams.....5 x 5 Standard Roto League expect we use On Base % instead of Batting avg

Which ever 3 guys I keep, they will be considered my draft pick in the Rd listed

Strasburg in Rd 18
M. Pineda in Rd 19
Brandon Beachy in Rd 24
Danny Espinosa in Rd 23
Carlos Santana in Rd 5

Im leaning towards the first 3 names. What do you think????
cfrat24
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pick 3 Keepers WHIR

Postby jwilly777 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:07 pm

I hate to go with three pitchers, but that's where your value is. In a league with only five keepers per team, you'll have no problem filling out your roster. So to me, it's all about getting the best value possibleout of your keepers.
jwilly777
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ensanimal » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:11 pm

Strasburg and Pineda are no-brainers at those costs.

For the third spot, I might take the chance on Espinosa. He's an intriguing power/speed guy at a premium position. The OB% is not great, but if he can learn to take a few more walks, that could go up to a serviceable level. Considering you're starting with 2 potential aces for low costs, I would take the bat with my third keeper spot.

I love Santana, but I think 5th round is still to early for him. Obviously you know your league better, so if you can estimate the type of player that may be available to you if you had a fifth round pick, that could be make a big change.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 108)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:04 am

ensanimal wrote:Strasburg and Pineda are no-brainers at those costs.

For the third spot, I might take the chance on Espinosa. He's an intriguing power/speed guy at a premium position. The OB% is not great, but if he can learn to take a few more walks, that could go up to a serviceable level. Considering you're starting with 2 potential aces for low costs, I would take the bat with my third keeper spot.

I love Santana, but I think 5th round is still to early for him. Obviously you know your league better, so if you can estimate the type of player that may be available to you if you had a fifth round pick, that could be make a big change.

+1

As much as I like Santana, it would be VERY tough for me to keep him at the cost of a 5th round pick, especially in a 12 team league. I know he stands to be a good keeper and player for many years, but a 5th rounder is too much.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby onitapgr » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:58 am

cfrat24 wrote:12 Teams.....5 x 5 Standard Roto League expect we use On Base % instead of Batting avg

Which ever 3 guys I keep, they will be considered my draft pick in the Rd listed

Strasburg in Rd 18
M. Pineda in Rd 19
Brandon Beachy in Rd 24
Danny Espinosa in Rd 23
Carlos Santana in Rd 5

Im leaning towards the first 3 names. What do you think????

I would go Strasburg, Beachy, Santana
onitapgr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Tavish » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:57 am

Definitely Stras, Pineda, Beachy. Those prices are hard to turn down and will let you focus heavy on offense to start.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby MaudDib » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:19 pm

Tavish wrote:Definitely Stras, Pineda, Beachy. Those prices are hard to turn down and will let you focus heavy on offense to start.

;-D Agreed. Those three have the most upside and they are the biggest bargain.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Element » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:24 pm

MaudDib wrote:
Tavish wrote:Definitely Stras, Pineda, Beachy. Those prices are hard to turn down and will let you focus heavy on offense to start.

Without question this is where your best value lies. Espinosa is fairly intriguing, but it's just too hard to pass up on three outstanding young arms at this cost. Focus hard on offense in your draft.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 685)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:43 pm

Element wrote:
MaudDib wrote:

Without question this is where your best value lies. Espinosa is fairly intriguing, but it's just too hard to pass up on three outstanding young arms at this cost. Focus hard on offense in your draft.

Yep. I agree with this. Espinosa takes a hit in an OBP league, I think. You'll have to load up on hitting in the draft, but that shouldn't be a problem.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby CyboNinja » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:33 am

I think you can justify taking Carlos if you keep Beachy at 24 and Stras at 18. The great value you're getting for Beach and Stras more then makes up the difference. I mean if you ranked them out, Carlos should go in rds 5-8 anyway in most 12 team leagues. If not even higher in some. You're also getting a top 3 catcher who should start another 145-150 games next season.
CyboNinja
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 96)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions