Pick 3 Keepers WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Pick 3 Keepers WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pick 3 Keepers WHIR

Postby cfrat24 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:01 pm

12 Teams.....5 x 5 Standard Roto League expect we use On Base % instead of Batting avg

Which ever 3 guys I keep, they will be considered my draft pick in the Rd listed

Strasburg in Rd 18
M. Pineda in Rd 19
Brandon Beachy in Rd 24
Danny Espinosa in Rd 23
Carlos Santana in Rd 5

Im leaning towards the first 3 names. What do you think????
cfrat24
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 218
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pick 3 Keepers WHIR

Postby jwilly777 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:07 pm

I hate to go with three pitchers, but that's where your value is. In a league with only five keepers per team, you'll have no problem filling out your roster. So to me, it's all about getting the best value possibleout of your keepers.
jwilly777
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 59
Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pick 3 Keepers WHIR

Postby ensanimal » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:11 pm

Strasburg and Pineda are no-brainers at those costs.

For the third spot, I might take the chance on Espinosa. He's an intriguing power/speed guy at a premium position. The OB% is not great, but if he can learn to take a few more walks, that could go up to a serviceable level. Considering you're starting with 2 potential aces for low costs, I would take the bat with my third keeper spot.

I love Santana, but I think 5th round is still to early for him. Obviously you know your league better, so if you can estimate the type of player that may be available to you if you had a fifth round pick, that could be make a big change.
ensanimal
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10622
(Past Year: 108)
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tim Horton's

Re: Pick 3 Keepers WHIR

Postby Urban Cohorts » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:04 am

ensanimal wrote:Strasburg and Pineda are no-brainers at those costs.

For the third spot, I might take the chance on Espinosa. He's an intriguing power/speed guy at a premium position. The OB% is not great, but if he can learn to take a few more walks, that could go up to a serviceable level. Considering you're starting with 2 potential aces for low costs, I would take the bat with my third keeper spot.

I love Santana, but I think 5th round is still to early for him. Obviously you know your league better, so if you can estimate the type of player that may be available to you if you had a fifth round pick, that could be make a big change.


+1

As much as I like Santana, it would be VERY tough for me to keep him at the cost of a 5th round pick, especially in a 12 team league. I know he stands to be a good keeper and player for many years, but a 5th rounder is too much.
Image
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1717
Joined: 2 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Rome in all of its glory...

Re: Pick 3 Keepers WHIR

Postby onitapgr » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:58 am

cfrat24 wrote:12 Teams.....5 x 5 Standard Roto League expect we use On Base % instead of Batting avg

Which ever 3 guys I keep, they will be considered my draft pick in the Rd listed

Strasburg in Rd 18
M. Pineda in Rd 19
Brandon Beachy in Rd 24
Danny Espinosa in Rd 23
Carlos Santana in Rd 5

Im leaning towards the first 3 names. What do you think????


I would go Strasburg, Beachy, Santana
onitapgr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 648
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 12 May 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pick 3 Keepers WHIR

Postby Tavish » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:57 am

Definitely Stras, Pineda, Beachy. Those prices are hard to turn down and will let you focus heavy on offense to start.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11071
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pick 3 Keepers WHIR

Postby MaudDib » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:19 pm

Tavish wrote:Definitely Stras, Pineda, Beachy. Those prices are hard to turn down and will let you focus heavy on offense to start.

;-D Agreed. Those three have the most upside and they are the biggest bargain.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

Image
MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 8016
(Past Year: 369)
Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pick 3 Keepers WHIR

Postby Element » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:24 pm

MaudDib wrote:
Tavish wrote:Definitely Stras, Pineda, Beachy. Those prices are hard to turn down and will let you focus heavy on offense to start.

;-D Agreed. Those three have the most upside and they are the biggest bargain.


Without question this is where your best value lies. Espinosa is fairly intriguing, but it's just too hard to pass up on three outstanding young arms at this cost. Focus hard on offense in your draft.
Image
Element
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4909
(Past Year: 685)
Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pick 3 Keepers WHIR

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:43 pm

Element wrote:
MaudDib wrote:
Tavish wrote:Definitely Stras, Pineda, Beachy. Those prices are hard to turn down and will let you focus heavy on offense to start.

;-D Agreed. Those three have the most upside and they are the biggest bargain.


Without question this is where your best value lies. Espinosa is fairly intriguing, but it's just too hard to pass up on three outstanding young arms at this cost. Focus hard on offense in your draft.


Yep. I agree with this. Espinosa takes a hit in an OBP league, I think. You'll have to load up on hitting in the draft, but that shouldn't be a problem.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 2152
(Past Year: 33)
Joined: 2 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pick 3 Keepers WHIR

Postby CyboNinja » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:33 am

I think you can justify taking Carlos if you keep Beachy at 24 and Stras at 18. The great value you're getting for Beach and Stras more then makes up the difference. I mean if you ranked them out, Carlos should go in rds 5-8 anyway in most 12 team leagues. If not even higher in some. You're also getting a top 3 catcher who should start another 145-150 games next season.
CyboNinja
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 581
(Past Year: 96)
Joined: 2 Jun 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Metro Detroit

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact