Final Keeper, WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Final Keeper, WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Final Keeper, WHIR

Postby labardo31 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:01 pm

Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out my final keeper. It's a 15 team, 6x6 roto league, and I'll be looking to defend my 2011 title. We keep 8 guys.

1. Brian McCann
2. Prince Fielder
3. Jose Reyes
4. Matt Holliday
5. Cliff Lee
6. Dan Haren
7. Zack Greinke
8. tbd.

Guys I'm considering for the 8th spot are:
- Brett Gardner
- A Rod
- John Axford
- Ricky Romero
- Corey Hart

Thanks in advance. Leave a link if you'd like me to return the favor.
Reds Night Out
labardo31
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Final Keeper, WHIR

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:10 pm

In a 15 team league I think you have to take a gamble with A Rod at 3B. I'm guessing almost all of the top 10 guys at 3B will be kept. A Rod is old, declining, and prone to injury. That said, if he can stay healthy (and get ~500 AB), he is a good bet for solid counting stats in the potent Yankee lineup. Still 20+ HR and 100 RBI potential there. And his AVG won't kill you, nor will his OBP since he walks a lot (even in 2011). I'm assuming OBP is the 6th hitting category.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Re: Re: Final Keeper, WHIR

Postby wrveres » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:24 pm

Urban Cohorts wrote:In a 15 team league I think you have to take a gamble with A Rod at 3B. I'm guessing almost all of the top 10 guys at 3B will be kept. A Rod is old, declining, and prone to injury. That said, if he can stay healthy (and get ~500 AB), he is a good bet for solid counting stats in the potent Yankee lineup. Still 20+ HR and 100 RBI potential there. And his AVG won't kill you, nor will his OBP since he walks a lot (even in 2011). I'm assuming OBP is the 6th hitting category.
agreed.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Dodgerbluesc » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:11 am

I think Arod as well. You have 3 SP so even though Romero is worthy of keeping he's too redundant. You can find plenty of RP with only 120 guys being kept so Axford ismeasily replaceable. SB are up and OF is deep so Gardner is out. And even in a down year Arod should give you the same stats as Hart but at 3B. I hate Arod but I think he's your slam dunk choice.

Good luck!

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?t=437365
Dodgerbluesc
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jwilly777 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:39 am

I'd go Arod as well, particularly with him playing a very thin 3B position. With those eight you'll have C, SS, 3B spots locked up going into the draft. So you'll have the flexibility to going bargain shopping on DD.
jwilly777
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby fast dogs » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:21 am

A Rod's probably the logical choice and gets drafted a round or 2 before Axford & Gardner, but thats not the way you'd have to go. Who helped you win last year; A Rod and his 16 HR's & 62 RBI's or Axford & Gardner? The last 2 years A Rod hasn't hit .280 and if I'm betting I say he doesn't again. Axford and Gardner would likely make your keeper list again next year, not sure the same holds true for 18 year vet A Rod. Certainly couldn't fault anyone for taking the higher draft spot and hard to fill 3rd base position, but it wouldn't take too much imagination for me to see going a different way than the conventional way of thinking here.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 302)

Postby ensanimal » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:29 am

It would be between ARod and Romero for me. Having 3 SP's already being kept, I think ARod is the better keeper here.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:35 am

Arod.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Re: Final Keeper, WHIR

Postby MaudDib » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:19 am

wrveres wrote:
Urban Cohorts wrote:In a 15 team league I think you have to take a gamble with A Rod at 3B. I'm guessing almost all of the top 10 guys at 3B will be kept. A Rod is old, declining, and prone to injury. That said, if he can stay healthy (and get ~500 AB), he is a good bet for solid counting stats in the potent Yankee lineup. Still 20+ HR and 100 RBI potential there. And his AVG won't kill you, nor will his OBP since he walks a lot (even in 2011). I'm assuming OBP is the 6th hitting category.
agreed.

Also agreed. Only other option is to try and deal ARod and some of those guys you aren't keeping for another keeper but that is usually very hard to do especially when none of the guys you are trying to move are top of the draft kind of talents.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby hoopsgalnyc » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:08 am

arod.

i think .290/25/90/90 is realistic, even if he gets a lot of rest. 3b is a think position.
hoopsgalnyc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions