Minor League Keepers Question (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Minor League Keepers Question (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Minor League Keepers Question (WHIR)

Postby hoopsgalnyc » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:31 pm

i have machado in a keeper league that allows us to keep 3 minor leaugers. (my other 2 guys are matt moore and teheran.)

bit of background: it’s a 12-team 5×5 roto league with 6 regular keeper spots. the way minor league keepers work, you basically get their rookie and second season at no cost. then you have to keep them at full cost. essentially, you want your minor leaguers to turn into top-70 players. in this system, higher-risk, higher ceiling guys are more attractive than lower-risk, lower-ceiling guys.

do you think that any of the following prospects are better bets than machado? taijuan walker, anthony rendon, trevor bauer.

any feedback is greatly appreciated. please let me know WHY you think what you think.

i don't believe that my major league keepers are relevant in this decision (i'd like to have the best 3 minor leaguers i can, regardless of position), but they are: votto, reyes, teixeira, pedroia, hamilton, lester. i also have pineda for one more season.
hoopsgalnyc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Minor League Keepers Question (WHIR)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:37 pm

I can't offer a lot of help here, but I'll throw in what little info I can.

I have been following Taijuan Walker for a couple of years now. About two years ago I read an article in a sports magazine (can't remember which one) about him having a 95mph fast ball with decent/spotty control. Needless to say that caught my interest. Since then, he has done well in the minors. He has a good fastball. His velocity has actually increased since his high school days (I read reports that he hit 98mph) and that it sinks a bit, leading to a lot of ground outs. He has good curveball as well. In 2011 A ball, he had a very good season. Incredible K ratio, good BB rate, a lot of ground outs. The kid is a big guy too (6'4) and should fill out in a few years. Plus, he is in the Seattle system and I think they do a very good job with young pitchers (see Pineda for the most recent example). I think he is a very high upside type of pitcher, but he is still 2-3 years away from even being considered for an MLB gig.

Hope that helps somewhat. I'm not too familiar with the other two guys you listed.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:12 pm

You have nothing but good options here. Each of these guys has the potential to be a star. With only 3 minor league keepers I'd say certainty has to be a factor. With Pedroia/Reyes you can afford to not have to wait 2 or 3 years for Machado or worry about Rendon's knees. Walker has ace upside but if you keep a pitcher, take someone like Bauer who is ready NOW and, barring injury, is no worse than a no. 2 with a very good chance to be a true ace.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby Dodgerbluesc » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:08 pm

Thanks for the help with mine.

I keep Machado here. He's ranked higher by Sickels and it's not close. Plus you already have two minor arms. Another poster referenced Pedroia/Reyes - I don't see where it says you have them. But even still - I own both guys as you know and am big fans, but they're no spring chickens and by all accounts Machado will stay at SS. Plus with offense down and pitching up there is a premium on good bats, esp middle infielders.

Might seem like a bit of a contradiction because I do thing they're all great options, but at the same time I think you keep Machado without blinking.

Good luck.
Dodgerbluesc
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Element » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:43 pm

Machado is going to be a stud, IMO. I'm not letting him go.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby hoopsgalnyc » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Dodger Blue,

Thanks for your help.

If you're relying on Sickels rankings, those are pretty stale at this point (I read him, too). I think he has Moore, Teheran, Machado, and Bauer all as As in the 2012 preview. After last year, I'd be STUNNED if Walker isn''t at least a B+ (I'll bet his an A-).

I actually could possibly keep any 2011 draftee rather than Machado. It's all about who comes to me in the rookie draft. I pick second-to-last because I came in second place this season. Any 2011 draftees or other prospects you like better than Machado? I would assume most top-25 prospects are taken by other teams.
hoopsgalnyc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Dodgerbluesc » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:51 pm

I like Sickels above KLaw and BA, and if I'm not mistaken Walker is an A-. And the minorleagueball community also has Machado above the rest. I still like Machado. If you're looking for more immediate help I like Bauer. I like Cole too. But I think in your situation you need a bat. Moore is just an absolute stud and Teheran isn't far behind, despite what some scouts say. Offense is down - I would stick with the bat because I with Moore and Teheran another arm would be a surplus, not a need... Machado seems like he'll fill a need more.
Dodgerbluesc
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:33 pm

I like Machado. I got to see him play quite a bit this year, and I would be surprised if he doesn't perform well at the major league level.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LordMattius » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Promote Moore to your MLB roster and keep Machado, Rendon, and Teheran.
LordMattius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions