Is this a no brainer, or am I missing something? *WHIR* - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Is this a no brainer, or am I missing something? *WHIR*

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is this a no brainer, or am I missing something? *WHIR*

Postby monty797 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:34 pm

I'm in a dynasty league that over values pitching. My team is in the process of rebuilding a bit as I've won our league championships the last two years, but this year fell short due to injuries and underperformances.

I was offered a deal on Ricky Romero that I'm pretty sure that I can't turn down, but was looking for a little feedback. I need a little help at my DH position (believe it or not), and can use some depth. My staff consists of the following players. Verlander, Garza, Romero, Buerhle, and my 5th spot kind of rotates around AJ Burnett, Randy Wells, Gavin Floyd, and a few others. I know, that 5th spot is sad but this is a 30 team league so it's a fairly deep staff in reality.

I was offered, Billy Butler, Clay Buchholz and Casey Kelly for Ricky Romero straight up.

I'm thinkng that this is a easy deal to accept, but looking for some feedback.
"True friends stab you in the front"
-Oscar Wilde
monty797
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is this a no brainer, or am I missing something? *WHIR*

Postby ensanimal » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:29 pm

AS bad as you may need the offense, I really don't see Butler as the answer. Romero, for me, is way to good to give up without getting back a stud, especially in a deep league. If they overvalue pitching, you should be able to get better for Romero.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby Element » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:30 am

Can you give some more information regarding your format and scoring?
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby monty797 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:32 am

The league is points based with a lean towards pitching. Normally pitchers will outscore hitters. Romero last year was a 600pt pitcher for example. Butler is a 500pt bat.

The way I am looking at the deal is this way. Romero will give 550-600pts this year (approximately). Butler will give 450-500, Buchholz if healthy should give 450+ pts and both players are going to be starters for my squad which gives me a good swing in points. The other consideration is the person who proposed the trade is in the same division as I am.

That is my thinking at least
"True friends stab you in the front"
-Oscar Wilde
monty797
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Element » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:40 pm

You can't really use total points in your analysis. You can't compare apples to oranges. A player is only as valuable as the player that you can replace him with. How deep is the league? Let's say that there are 12 teams and every team starts one 1B (just an example). Figure out who the 13th best 1B'man was last season. Take Butler's point total from last year minus the point total for the 13th player. Do the same for SP'ers. This gives you a number that you can use to compare (more accurately) value across several positions because it's taking position scarcity into account. I don't use a points based scoring system in any of my baseball leagues, but this is how I prepare (with projections) for my football leagues.

I'd be curious to see how the numbers work out here. I'd still like to know, in more detail, what your scoring system looks like. On the surface I am somewhat in agreement with ensanimal that Romero should net you a better hitter, but we don't really know the details of your scoring format to really give solid advice. I do however like the idea of buying low on Buchholz.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:04 am

I would like to know what your scoring categories are as well.

That said, I like the deal. For a 30 team league you have a good pitching staff. Verlander AND Garza (who I expect to have a brilliant 2012 campaign) are solid gold. Romero is certainly a good SP, but Buchholz has the talent to be as good, if not better, than Romero (especially if your league has a high emphasis on Wins and Losses). Bulter is a solid player, not great, but not terrible- a player that you will know what you are getting. And with KC improving hitting wise (Gordon breaking out, Franceour having a great season, and Hosmer on the rise), I think Butler could add some more counting stats in 2012. Casey Kelly is the icing on the cake. Not a bad prospect there.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby hoopsgalnyc » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:40 pm

monty,

i wouldn't take it.

bucholz is a low strikeout guy with a high whip, casey kelly is maybe a b- prospect at this point, and billy butler contributes in 2 categories (avg and maybe RBI).

you're getting three nickels for a quarter. i'd pass.

please check out my post

viewtopic.php?t=437362
hoopsgalnyc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:14 pm

hoopsgalnyc wrote:you're getting three nickels for a quarter. i'd pass.

Couldn't have said it better myself. You've got to take into account the 2 roster spots you'd be giving up.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:35 pm

I would hang onto Romero.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LordMattius » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:17 pm

Billy Butler really turned the corner last 2nd half. He finally made good on his talent. Buchholz is a solid SP and on par with Romero. Casey Kelly is well a throw in for depth you can stash. I'd take this deal. Billy Butler, Clay Buchholz and Casey Kelly
LordMattius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions