Possible playoff change +2 Wild Card - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Possible playoff change +2 Wild Card

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Possible playoff change +2 Wild Card

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:37 pm

They had a screwed up system and instead of fixing the problem they just convolute it and give the illusion that something has changed. Seems ridiculous to have a one-game playoff for the 4th team to make the playoffs. It's just too simple to have the top four from each league make the playoffs, I guess. No divisions, just 4 "wildcards" if you want to call it that. Much better.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3080
(Past Year: 134)
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Possible playoff change +2 Wild Card

Postby mweir145 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:51 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:
mweir145 wrote:http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/11/18/2571900/mlb-new-wild-card-playoffs

I like Jeff Sullivan's take on it.

But there's an important thing to understand, here - the regular season and the playoffs are separate things. Completely separate things. People aren't fond of the idea of a league's fifth-best team making the playoffs because they want only the very best teams in the playoffs. They want only the very best teams in the playoffs presumably because, on some level, they want to know which team is the best. But the playoffs don't prove which team is the best. The playoffs don't prove anything.
different.


Resurrecting this since there was news on it today - I just read this thread for the first time... and I'm going back to the Jeff Sullivan article posted on Page 5.

I disagree with part of the paragraph I reposted above. As a fan, I want to see the best teams (from the regular season) be rewarded with an opportunity to win the World Series. I'm not looking for the best team to win because I do agree that it's somewhat random and I do agree that the playoffs are completely separate from the regular season. But, again, I want the playoffs to be a reward for the teams that played the best during the regular season marathon.

I liked it exactly as it was - even with the one wild card per league. Sometimes you can have a great season and not win the division - and I like that the wild card provides an opportunity for that team to be rewarded for a great season (even though sometimes it allows iffy teams into the playoffs).

But adding one more is likely adding a team that doesn't deserve to be there in the first place. That's my opinion as a fan.

The playoffs are already a complete crapshoot. Adding another team to it does nothing to change that element of it and it actually places a greater emphasis on being elite and winning the division.

If it was up to me, I'd scrap the playoffs altogether and just have the two best teams in each league face off over the entire month of October. But that's not going to happen.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Possible playoff change +2 Wild Card

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:53 pm

mweir145 wrote:If it was up to me, I'd scrap the playoffs altogether and just have the two best teams in each league face off over the entire month of October. But that's not going to happen.


and it shouldn't happen because it would totally suck. you have to toe the line between entertaining and determining the best team in baseball. a month long playoff between two teams would be ridiculously boring and people wouldn't watch it. a larger playoff with shorter series is simply necessary for entertainment purposes which is why the game exists in the first place. i think the best way to allow for both factors would just be to eliminate divisions, create balanced schedules, and put the top 4 teams in each league into a playoff.
Image
25
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 14138
(Past Year: 428)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: Possible playoff change +2 Wild Card

Postby mweir145 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:08 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:If it was up to me, I'd scrap the playoffs altogether and just have the two best teams in each league face off over the entire month of October. But that's not going to happen.


and it shouldn't happen because it would totally suck. you have to toe the line between entertaining and determining the best team in baseball. a month long playoff between two teams would be ridiculously boring and people wouldn't watch it. a larger playoff with shorter series is simply necessary for entertainment purposes which is why the game exists in the first place. i think the best way to allow for both factors would just be to eliminate divisions, create balanced schedules, and put the top 4 teams in each league into a playoff.

Well, I'd watch it because I love watching the best teams (and best players) in baseball face off against each other with regularity. Watching Halladay vs. the Yankees every five days for a month wouldn't be boring at all for me, for example, it would be simply awesome. But yeah, I suppose I'm not the average, casual fan that MLB is probably catering to.

Anything involving eliminating divisions, reducing the # of playoff teams, and balancing the schedule would be a major improvement, though.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Possible playoff change +2 Wild Card

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:17 pm

Skin Blues wrote:They had a screwed up system and instead of fixing the problem they just convolute it and give the illusion that something has changed. Seems ridiculous to have a one-game playoff for the 4th team to make the playoffs. It's just too simple to have the top four from each league make the playoffs, I guess. No divisions, just 4 "wildcards" if you want to call it that. Much better.

How was it screwed up before? Three division winners plus a wildcard is screwed up how exactly? The logic that we should have one 15 team division with the top 4-5 teams making it into the playoffs is what would be screwed up to me.

mweir145 wrote:The playoffs are already a complete crapshoot. Adding another team to it does nothing to change that element of it and it actually places a greater emphasis on being elite and winning the division.

This the exact reason why its a great idea. No more coasting into the wildcard spot (we see how well that worked out for Boston), winning your division gets you a huge advantage over the wildcard team (as it should), and yet an extra team qualifies, increasing the overall interest level since another few teams will presumably be in the hunt. I think its a great improvement over the current system.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2148
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fenway Park, RF Roof Deck

Re: Possible playoff change +2 Wild Card

Postby J35J » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:32 pm

Not the best option but I still like it. It will be entertaining...and that's what it's all about.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 390)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Possible playoff change +2 Wild Card

Postby mweir145 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:41 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:This the exact reason why its a great idea. No more coasting into the wildcard spot (we see how well that worked out for Boston), winning your division gets you a huge advantage over the wildcard team (as it should), and yet an extra team qualifies, increasing the overall interest level since another few teams will presumably be in the hunt. I think its a great improvement over the current system.

Yeah, if they're not considering any major changes to the system, I'm pretty fine with adding the additional team. It certainly can't hurt the Jays' chances at all.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Possible playoff change +2 Wild Card

Postby kab21 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:56 am

I like that they are actually punishing the wild card team. They will have a 50/50 chance of advancing and there will be a big incentive to using your best pitcher. Which means that the divisional winner likely won't have to face an ace twice in a short series.

It's not perfect but I don't see any reasonable scenario that is.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5339
(Past Year: 171)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Possible playoff change +2 Wild Card

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:09 pm

Here's a reasonable scenario:

GiantsFan14 wrote:eliminate divisions, create balanced schedules, and put the top 4 teams in each league into a playoff.

The reason it was screwed up (and still is), is that there are 6 tiny divisions. Winning the division with the current setup is not some prestigious accomplishment that should be rewarded with the playoffs. So what if they're better than 4 other random baseball teams? There isn't even a balanced schedule so it makes it even more screwed up. People have this romantic ideal that's rooted in the way it used to be done, which was having the best team from each league play each other. That all should have been thrown out out the window when they tripled the amount of divisions. The changes made to the format have only lowered the chance of non-division winners to have playoff success. There's still only one wild card team, they just delayed the heart-break of missing the palyoffs by a couple of days and give the division winners more time to rest their best pitchers.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3080
(Past Year: 134)
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: joiingds, neuronss and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 16
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Miami at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
LA Dodgers at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Francisco at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact