Possible playoff change +2 Wild Card - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Possible playoff change +2 Wild Card

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Possible playoff change +2 Wild Card

Postby converge241 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:26 pm

The most any team gets off once the season starts is 3 days for the All Star Break and even then there's still another just-under 3 months left to play, many times players have said they do not want the long layoff even waiting for another same round series to end. Cant prove a team getting cold has an effect just have seen more cases of teams not wanting that and assuming they know their business there must be a reason for that. So one day one game then right into the first series the next day is great.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Urban Cohorts » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:54 am

SpecialFNK wrote:I like the addition of the extra wild card teams. give other teams a chance.
if you're going to allow certain teams to go out and spend whatever they want, that gives those teams an advantage a lot of other teams don't have. now maybe these other teams have at least a little better chance.
I'd rather see some type of rule that controls spending more. no team should be able to spend as much as they want like the Yankees do. it's just unfair.

I would too. But unfortunately, I doubt this will ever happen. The MLBPA is WAY too strong and would never allow for this.

Having Max cap and Minimum cap (that wouldn't be very far apart, say ~30 million) would make baseball wonderful IMO. Much like the NLF.

Or maybe make teams be put in divisions based on how much they spend. Imagine seeing the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Angels, and one of the Chicago teams in the same divison. That would be awesome.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:16 am

Urban Cohorts wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:I like the addition of the extra wild card teams. give other teams a chance.
if you're going to allow certain teams to go out and spend whatever they want, that gives those teams an advantage a lot of other teams don't have. now maybe these other teams have at least a little better chance.
I'd rather see some type of rule that controls spending more. no team should be able to spend as much as they want like the Yankees do. it's just unfair.

I would too. But unfortunately, I doubt this will ever happen. The MLBPA is WAY too strong and would never allow for this.

Having Max cap and Minimum cap (that wouldn't be very far apart, say ~30 million) would make baseball wonderful IMO. Much like the NLF.

Or maybe make teams be put in divisions based on how much they spend. Imagine seeing the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Angels, and one of the Chicago teams in the same divison. That would be awesome.

ya definitely, limit spending and put more money in the owner's pockets and less in the player's. awesome idea.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:39 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:ya definitely, limit spending and put more money in the owner's pockets and less in the player's. awesome idea.

I don't give flying fark about the economics of it. Want to know why football is the prime sport in America and baseball is on the decline? Your answer lies in the MLBPA. They make it impossible to have a balanced league from team to team. In football, there is a cap and a minimum. In baseball, you have owners who spend TONS on their team and owners who spend practically nothing. How does that equate to fairness? This is either remedied by a salary cap and minimum, or having ALL MLB team owners' have X amount of wealth (and are willing to spend it). There is no parity. That is where baseball fails.

And don't even get me started on player salaries. These MLB guys (aside from SP) are WHIMPS compared to their NFL counterparts, who make far less and take WAY more damage.

Baseball is all about how much you spend. There are 4 incredibly lucky divisions (aside from the AL/NL East), because if you move the Sox or Yankees into any of the Central or West divisions, they would win 90% of the time (with the team staying in the AL East winning 90% of the time as well).

Football is all about properly managing your organization. Wins and titles are based on organizational merit. Not how much you spend.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:56 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Urban Cohorts wrote:

ya definitely, limit spending and put more money in the owner's pockets and less in the player's. awesome idea.

Am I really supposed to empathize or sympathize with players here?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:37 am

bigh0rt wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
Urban Cohorts wrote:

Please. There will be X amount of money in the system whether it's going to the players or the owners. If given the choice, I prefer that more of X go to the players than the owners.
At no point in the equation is pity factored in. It's just a simple question: Would you like a few people to get the money, or would you like a bunch of people to get the money?

Personally, I'd like to see a revenue cap put on teams. Make the tickets and a night at the park actually affordable. But that idea is preposterous.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:50 am

StlSluggers wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:

Please. There will be X amount of money in the system whether it's going to the players or the owners. If given the choice, I prefer that more of X go to the players than the owners.
At no point in the equation is pity factored in. It's just a simple question: Would you like a few people to get the money, or would you like a bunch of people to get the money?

Personally, I'd like to see a revenue cap put on teams. Make the tickets and a night at the park actually affordable. But that idea is preposterous.

I really and truly couldn't give a crap less who gets the money. All I care about is how entertained I am. The players can be billionaires or be borderline slaves for all I care, as long as it's worth watching. I've never, while watching a baseball game, said to myself, "Man I would really enjoy this game a lot more here if Player X made more/less money." The goal for Major League Baseball needs to be, foremost, to make it stop being so boring so that fans stop tuning out. There's a reason that the NFL has more buzz in their off-season than the MLB does during its playoffs.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:21 am

bigh0rt wrote:There's a reason that the NFL has more buzz in their off-season than the MLB does during its playoffs.

StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:35 am

StlSluggers wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:There's a reason that the NFL has more buzz in their off-season than the MLB does during its playoffs.

You're welcome to continue pretending I'm wrong.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:56 pm

You're right, the NFL, UFC, and NASCAR are all immensely popular. So are LOLCATS and rage cartoons. Justin Bieber is the best artist in the world, and Twilight is the best example of modern literature. I don't wish for any of my favourite things to try to keep pace with the most popular things. Why should we care how many people watch the NFL playoffs?
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers