Possible playoff change +2 Wild Card - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Possible playoff change +2 Wild Card

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Possible playoff change +2 Wild Card

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:40 am

looks like interdivisional teams will be allowed to play each other in the division series now. good change. also removing elias next year, but for now lol phillies.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bayside » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:17 am

kab21 wrote:It's 5 days because they will at least give the wild card travel days.

the entire point is that i am proposing they dont
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:55 am

bayside wrote:
kab21 wrote:It's 5 days because they will at least give the wild card travel days.

the entire point is that i am proposing they dont

great idea. In 5 days the wild card teams would play and travel 3 times with no days off. And let's not forget that most of these games are played in prime time (late at night).

play and travel (game 162), play and travel (gm 1), play, play and travel, play
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:19 am

kab21 wrote:great idea. In 5 days the wild card teams would play and travel 3 times with no days off. And let's not forget that most of these games are played in prime time (late at night).

You can remedy this by having the teams play a in a neutral stadium- the stadium that is closest between where both teams currently are. And then you can do a double header for the first day, and play another game on day 2 (if necessary). This would give the winning wild card team at least 1-2 days off. MLB can set the regular season to end on a Friday, so this series can be played over the weekend when everyone can watch all 3 games. No need for prime time games in that scenario.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:23 am

Urban Cohorts wrote:
kab21 wrote:great idea. In 5 days the wild card teams would play and travel 3 times with no days off. And let's not forget that most of these games are played in prime time (late at night).

You can remedy this by having the teams play a in a neutral stadium- the stadium that is closest between where both teams currently are. And then you can do a double header for the first day, and play another game on day 2 (if necessary). This would give the winning wild card team at least 1-2 days off. MLB can set the regular season to end on a Friday, so this series can be played over the weekend when everyone can watch all 3 games. No need for prime time games in that scenario.

You'll have a hard time convincing teams to do this and forgo all the playoff revenue they generate in their city with home playoff games.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:27 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Urban Cohorts wrote:

You'll have a hard time convincing teams to do this and forgo all the playoff revenue they generate in their city with home playoff games.

That is a good point, but would a one game series generate more money than two to three games at a neutral park? I know said city would generate more money with 1 game at home, but would that trump an extra 1-2 games of playoff TV revenue (plus attendance at whichever stadium is chosen)? Obviously a 1 game series in Boston or New York would generate WAY more, but on the flip side a single home playoff game at Tampa might not even sell out.

Or could they go with a 3 game series at home for the better wild card team? Possibly even 2 at home (better record team) and the 3rd, if necessary, away (worse record team). Seeing as how about half the time there is one stand alone team that wins the wild card by a large margin. There should be some benefit to being 5+ games up on the next best team. And IMO a 1 game series, at your home park, is not enough of an advantage.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Urban Cohorts wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Urban Cohorts wrote:

That is a good point, but would a one game series generate more money than two to three games at a neutral park? I know said city would generate more money with 1 game at home, but would that trump an extra 1-2 games of playoff TV revenue (plus attendance at whichever stadium is chosen)? Obviously a 1 game series in Boston or New York would generate WAY more, but on the flip side a single home playoff game at Tampa might not even sell out.

Or could they go with a 3 game series at home for the better wild card team? Possibly even 2 at home (better record team) and the 3rd, if necessary, away (worse record team). Seeing as how about half the time there is one stand alone team that wins the wild card by a large margin. There should be some benefit to being 5+ games up on the next best team. And IMO a 1 game series, at your home park, is not enough of an advantage.

Unfortunately that's not what matters, true as it may be. What matters is that it's good television and drama -- something that may get people to actually tune in and talk about baseball. The last few times there's been any real hype or buzz around baseball that I can recall were the final day of the 2011 season over two single games that decided the fate of several teams, and the one game playoff from two or three years ago that was one ugly baseball game but fun and exciting as hell to watch. It's exciting to have fate decided on a single game. It's dramatic. It's worth watching. "No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... it gets the people goin'!!" Nobody cares if it's fair. Hell, I don't even care if it's fair. I'm all for anything that might actually get me to tune into fall baseball as a fan of a team who is rarely an active participant.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Re: Re: Possible playoff change +2 Wild Card

Postby wrveres » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:05 pm

bigh0rt wrote:and the one game playoff from two or three years ago that was one ugly baseball game but fun and exciting as hell to watch.
go padres!
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby wrveres » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:10 pm

And Holliday still hasn't touched the plate
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:28 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Unfortunately that's not what matters, true as it may be. What matters is that it's good television and drama -- something that may get people to actually tune in and talk about baseball. The last few times there's been any real hype or buzz around baseball that I can recall were the final day of the 2011 season over two single games that decided the fate of several teams, and the one game playoff from two or three years ago that was one ugly baseball game but fun and exciting as hell to watch. It's exciting to have fate decided on a single game. It's dramatic. It's worth watching. "No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... it gets the people goin'!!" Nobody cares if it's fair. Hell, I don't even care if it's fair. I'm all for anything that might actually get me to tune into fall baseball as a fan of a team who is rarely an active participant.

Well sir, I think you have made me reconsider my stance. I still don't like it and I think it is completely unfair, but the points you made I cannot dispute.

I will say this- If the Yankees get the first wild card spot and end up having to play a team that finishes 7+ games behind them, and the Yankees lose, I will be PISSED OFF. And this comes from a Red Sox fan. Nothing makes me happier than watching the Yankees lose, but I would only have limited joy in seeing them outed in this fashion.

Yes, I may be crazy :-{ Other Sox fans, please don't judge :-/
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers