Trade Verlander for ... which hitter(s)? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade Verlander for ... which hitter(s)?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Verlander for ... which hitter(s)?

Postby SAV » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:50 pm

10 team 320 player, 100 keeper (10ea) 5X5 H2H league (OBP instead of Avg). Considering dealing Verlander to go all hitter keepers. I assume Verlander is worth virtually any hitter. Name your top 5 you wouldl pursue and top 5 you doubt he could get back (if any) ...
Thank you!
SAV

“You win pennants in the off season when you build your teams with trades and free agents.” –Earl Weaver
SAV
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade Verlander for ... which hitter(s)?

Postby MaudDib » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:27 pm

I am assuming no keeper restrictions.

Justin Upton
Matt Kemp
Ryan Braun
Troy Tulowitzki
Joey Votto

No particular order. Kind of debated with Votto as their are a few 1B all around the same age with similar numbers. I think I trust him more than any to continue this type of production for long term.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:56 pm

I'm not sure you could any of those guys for Verlander. For example, Kemp, Braun, Tulo... if I had those guys, no way I'd swap them for Verlander. Most smart managers know that 1) pitching is inherently more volatile than hitting, and 2) never pay for last year's stats.

I'm not backing up this argument with any stats, but it seems like every year there are a couple (maybe one) pitchers who just put it all together and have that elite year. In 2010 it was Felix. He's a tremendous pitcher, no doubt, and he had a tremendous 2011 but if you drafted him like a mid 2nd round talent you were probably disappointed. It's the very rare pitcher who maintains elite-level (1st-2nd round) production for multiple years. Halladay is 'that guy' now. Johan Santana was that guy. Randy Johnson, Pedro... if you think Verlander is that type of pitcher, then yes, you could ask for almost any hitter. But I don't. If I were your trading partner, the highest I'd go to get Verlander would be someone like Jose Reyes - same kind of volatility. I would definitely not trade someone like Ryan Braun, who is basically money in the bank to produce at an elite level.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 54)

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:22 pm

MaudDib wrote:I am assuming no keeper restrictions.

Justin Upton
Matt Kemp
Ryan Braun
Troy Tulowitzki
Joey Votto

I doubt you get any of those 5 players, but they are worth trying for. I just wouldn't expect any of the owners to accept the trade.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pjalst » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:49 pm

I agree with the last 2 post. Verlander is only going to help you every 5th day. I value all of the aforementioned hitters above Verlander and wouldn't trade any of them for him. Post who your keepers are, You might be better off holding on to Verlander.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby onitapgr » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:16 pm

SAV wrote:10 team 320 player, 100 keeper (10ea) 5X5 H2H league (OBP instead of Avg). Considering dealing Verlander to go all hitter keepers. I assume Verlander is worth virtually any hitter. Name your top 5 you wouldl pursue and top 5 you doubt he could get back (if any) ...

These are some guys I think you can get for Verlander that I would consider...

3B - R Zimmerman - WSH
OF - J Hamilton - TEX
SS - J Reyes - NYM
2B - D Pedroia - BOS
3B - A Beltre - TEX
OF - M Holliday - STL
3B - D Wright - NYM
1B - M Teixeira - NYY
SS - H Ramirez - FLA
onitapgr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:42 pm

Eh, I'd hold Verlander until someone pays good value. No way, I'd settle for Zimm, Beltre, Wright and some others for him. Although many an intelligent manager values hitting over pitching, it's definitely not always the case. Especially if said manager has been w/o ace like production for some time.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby nolesox » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:27 pm

Elite hitters are usually gonna trump SP for the reasons listed above. Of course for the right manager Verlander could net you just about anyone and that's exactly what you should shoot for. I think the list of guys equal to or slightly above Verlander in value would be the following and if you set on trying to make that sort of move I would start w/ the guys you like the best and work your way down:
C- any C you want should be able to be had for Verlander
1B-Pujols,Miggy,Votto,A Gone and Feilder would be tough to pry away from the other owner I'd think
2B- Cano,Pedroia and Kinsler are all pretty much on par I would say
3B-Longo and Bautista would be tough but guys Like Zimm and Wright could probably be had along w/ a pick
SS-Tulo not gonna happen, but Hanley and Reyes would be pretty fair match
OF-Braun and Kemp hard to see but guys like J Upton,Cargo,Ellsbury,McCutchen,etc..... should be options at least
nolesox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Urban Cohorts » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:38 am

SAV wrote:10 team 320 player, 100 keeper (10ea) 5X5 H2H league (OBP instead of Avg). Considering dealing Verlander to go all hitter keepers. I assume Verlander is worth virtually any hitter. Name your top 5 you wouldl pursue and top 5 you doubt he could get back (if any) ...

I doubt you can get an elite top 5 hitter for Verlander but it is worth a shot. Some guys I would deal Verlander for (who I think you can get) are:

McCutchen OF
C Gonzalez OF (missed some time)
E Longoria 3B (on the surface, looks like a down year)
P Fielder 1B or Tex 1B (though probably not Fielder, Tex more likely)
Cano or Dustin 2B (Dustin more likely)
J Ellsbury (maybe his owner sees regression in 2012)

I would definitely trade Verlander as his value is at an all time high.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby converge241 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:36 am

League to League some value pitchers less, equal, or more so its hard to say, youd just have to pound the pavement and shop him for best hitter possible around the whole legaue and if best hitter you get offered doesnt meet your requirement you are better to hold him

in a dynasty league where I hold Verlander, it would take a lot to get him but said price probably wouldnt be met unless the other team just needed that ace for stretch run or felt they really needed him during offseason re-tooling. Id obviously come down in price if I had a need on hitting.

In the end you are probably looking at maybe getting a top 10 hitter for him if you are set on it and as explained that can swing to higher or lower depending on your leagues sense of pitching value

viewtopic.php?t=437335
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions