7 keepers I need one more, auction league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

7 keepers I need one more, auction league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 7 keepers I need one more, auction league

Postby Element » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:38 pm

Here is who I'm keeping ..

David Price SP (9)
James Shields SP (6)
Stephen Strasburg SP (6)
Mike Stanton OF (16)
Andrew McCutchen OF (15)
Drew Stubbs OF (9)
Alex Avila C (8)

The top 5 are slam dunk choices, IMO. The last three are between Stubbs, Avila & Ackley. I personally really like Ackley & think that the power will be there eventually. He gets his hands inside the ball quickly and will eventually learn to pull that ball for homers (See Utley). However, for 2012 I will pass unless we're talking about an OBP league (I like him a little more in that format).

I think Avila will regress some, but you should get your money's worth. As an earlier poster suggested, I may try to move him now (maybe a package with Ackley?) for an upgrade at another IF spot.

I've been high on Stubbs for a few years now, but finally traded him at the deadline in my keeper league last year. He's a pain in the a$$ to own, but I would roll the dice with his upside over the others mentioned here. Plug him into your lineup during his hot streaks and replace him when he goes on those 2 months slumbers. $9 is a fair price for 20/40 potential. I would also try to include him in on any package deal with Ackley & Avila.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 693)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Urban Cohorts » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Padres Fan wrote:ESPN Auction League, 3 year keep total, increases $5 each year. I nedd 7 keepers and stuck on the last one, I hate spending over $15 on a pitcher and $20 on hitters, will reply to your link

That said, the 7 guys I would choose are:

1) Andrew McCutchen OF (15) - Stud OF, great price, still young and improving.
2) Mike Stanton OF (16) - For the same reasons as McCutchen. Stanton is a BEAST. And if the Marlins add a big name FA (Reyes), his value will only go up.
3) Stephen Strasburg SP (6) - Great price, boat loads of potential.
4) David Price SP (9) - Pitches in the AL East, but is already established as one of the best SP. Great value here too.
5) Alex Gordon OF (9) - Had a really nice season in 2011, which I don't think was a fluke. Good value here.
6) James Shields SP (6) - Another SP with great value, though I doubt he repeats 2011 stats. Would most certainly keep him then trade him for good bat, as his price tag is very attractive.
7) Evan Longoria 3B (41) - He may be overpriced, but this guy is a stud. And with so many great value keepers you have, you can afford to spend some money. Especially since you have most of your talent in the OF and SP. Wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a guy at 3B, especially one of the top guys.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Padres Fan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:23 pm

Well I decided that
David Price (9)
James Shields (6)
Stephen Strasburg (6)
Andrew McCutchen (15)
Mike Stanton (16)
Dustin Ackley (8)
Alex Avila (8)

May be back and forth between Avila and Cliff Lee (25) until keeper deadline, and may eve think about Alex Gordon(9) since this is a AVG/Runs/Hits/HR/SB scoring league. Plus my league doesnt do offseason trades so stuck with my options with what I got

I gave up on Stubbs as his #'s are good in HR/SB, his other stats are damaging, and not getting Longoria at (41), seems to logical since I could get him cheaper than the $36 I paid last year, especially he and mark reynolds had comparable stats, and feel I could get him at around $25 and focus on getting someone like Kemp who drafted at $37 last year or Pujols who was kept at$48 last season.

And since catcher is a weak position and tend to be overvalued in our league, I don't know if I can pass up that price for a top 5 catcher going into next season.

Thanks everyone for your help
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby ensanimal » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:56 pm

David Price SP (9)
James Shields SP (6)
Stephen Strasburg SP (6)
Mike Stanton OF (16)
Drew Stubbs OF (9)
Andrew McCutchenOF (15)

Top 6 for sure. I would try and package 2 or 3 of your other guys who are still decent value to get another big bat.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 108)

Postby hoopsgalnyc » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:36 pm

i think i'd go with trumbo. 30 homers for fairly low cost and his avg. was impaired by a .274 babip last year.

please check out my post on keeping machado and lmk what you think.

viewtopic.php?t=437362
hoopsgalnyc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions