7 keepers I need one more, auction league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

7 keepers I need one more, auction league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 7 keepers I need one more, auction league

Postby MaudDib » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:54 am

David Price SP (9)
James Shields SP (6)
Stephen Strasburg SP (6)
Mike Stanton OF (16)
Andrew McCutchenOF (15)
Cliff Lee SP (25)

These guys are your must keeps. They are great values and each one is top at least top 10 if not top 5 at their position. This gives you one other guy to keep and I think it is between Avila and Ackley. Personally I would take Ackley here because I just don't keep catchers. Unless they are an exceptional talent like Mauer was a few years ago but even then I have probably already traded them off for a better position player.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:20 am

raiders_umpire wrote:
Padres Fan wrote: 2b has been the bane of my FBB existence so I like Ackley alot as well as he would stabilize at a cheap price

I absolutely love Ackley. He has been one of my favorite UNC baseball players of all time, but I honestly would not expect any more then 12 homers and 12 steals next year.

Bingo.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Padres Fan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:22 pm

James Shields (6)
Stephen Strasburg (6)
Mike Stanton (16)
Andrew McCutchen (15)
Dustin Ackly (8)
Drew Stubbs (9)

but stuck on #7 Thought about either Price at (9) or Lee at (25), I hate keeping that many SP and OF, but those were my talents last season, and I fell $8 for a top 5 2B is a good deal, at least im set in the OF.

I like Longo, but $41 is steep for a .244 hitter with power,31 hrs (in comparison I also had Mark Reynolds with 37hrs and 3 more stolen bases, and had more runs at$9), so I feel he can be redrafted cheaply in the $25-$30 range or cheaper.

another option is to cut Ackley and keep both Price and Lee but that puts me at 4 sp and 3 of as keepers and that seems to a little too much for me
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby MaudDib » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:10 pm

Why are people still high on Stubbs? He gets you some good speed numbers but really speed isn't all that hard to find anymore. But a sub .250 BA with 200 strikeouts, is going the wrong direction. I wasn't sold on him to start the year and wanted to see a better K rate and a better OBP and he completely went the wrong way on this. Granted $9 is still a decent price but not when you have better options.

I would take Ackley and Gordon over Stubbs not to mention Price who is an absolute steal at $9.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby fast dogs » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:24 pm

Padres Fan wrote:
2b has been the bane of my FBB existence so I like Ackley alot as well as he would stabilize at a cheap price
2nd base for 2012:
Robinson Cano NYY
2 Dustin Pedroia Bos
3 Ian Kinsler Tex
4 Dan Uggla Atl
5 Rickie Weeks Mil
6 Chase Utley Phi
7 Brandon Phillips Cin
8 Howard Kendrick LAA
9 Dustin Ackley Sea
10 Ben Zobrist TB
11 Neil Walker Pit
12 Danny Espinosa Was
13 Jason Kipnis Cle
14 Jemile Weeks
Hill
K Johnson
Beckham
B Roberts
Not sure of your leagues settings but there should be plenty of 2nd basemen to go around. I wouldn't worry about keeping too many OF & SP in an auction; the key is keeping value. You'll have the $ to fill in the positions after your good starting position.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 320)

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:33 pm

Padres Fan wrote:James Shields (6)
Stephen Strasburg (6)
Mike Stanton (16)
Andrew McCutchen (15)
Dustin Ackly (8)
Drew Stubbs (9)

but stuck on #7 Thought about either Price at (9) or Lee at (25), I hate keeping that many SP and OF, but those were my talents last season, and I fell $8 for a top 5 2B is a good deal, at least im set in the OF.

A $9 Price is probably your best overall keeper. :-? I honestly hope you are right about Ackley being a top 5 2nd basemen, but I just don't think it ever happens.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:59 pm

MaudDib wrote:Why are people still high on Stubbs?

You know, I went and looked at his numbers and they were a lot worse than I thought. I've always thought of him as a low BA with intriguing power and speed, but he's really not so much with the power. Having looked it over, I'd definitely change my answer to cutting Stubbs and keeping 2 of Avila, Ackley or Lee.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 67)

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:06 pm

lane_anasazi2 wrote:

You know, I went and looked at his numbers and they were a lot worse than I thought. I've always thought of him as a low BA with intriguing power and speed, but he's really not so much with the power. Having looked it over, I'd definitely change my answer to cutting Stubbs and keeping 2 of Avila, Ackley or Lee.

Yep, as some of you may know, I'm a reds homer, but purposefully failed to mention Stubbs in my earlier post. His approach would have to radically change before fantasy managers would be justified in keeping him in many a league.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:52 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
lane_anasazi2 wrote:

Yep, as some of you may know, I'm a reds homer, but purposefully failed to mention Stubbs in my earlier post. His approach would have to radically change before fantasy managers would be justified in keeping him in many a league.

I will still take a chance on 20/40 ability. Yea, the BA might be bad, but that can be worked around.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:35 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:
lane_anasazi2 wrote:

I will still take a chance on 20/40 ability. Yea, the BA might be bad, but that can be worked around.

It's not the potential I question but rather his playing time. If Drew still shows the same issues, I could easily envision Heisey stealing a ton of time in CF (maybe even taking the starting job). What's worse is Dusty as manager doesn't offer much hope for a turnaround. Baker is widely known for players being aggressive in the box but this approach sucks if you're an undisciplined hitter. With all this in mind, no way can I advocate keeping Drew over the others mentioned.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions